back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 106-120 of 124
first prev prev 5 6 7 8 9 next next last
Author  Message 
DennisS

Re: samyang 7,5 m.m. specifications
Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:14 GMT
Juann, you say you had 4 spacers? Mine is only 3 spacers. I guess these are how they are calibrating the lens?
Mine has 1 brass and 1 very thin steel. After removing the 1 brass shim, I get focus at infinity. The hyperfocal focus looks like it is just a touch off of infinity. I will have to mess around with the shims in to get the exact thickness in order to have the hyperfocal focus setting all the way over on infinity. If I remove both shims, focus at infinity is horrible. Since the inside of the body appears to be plastic, I can see how the different shims need to be used in order to calibrate the lens.
alert moderator
Jaime

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 5:39 GMT
Mine was 1 bras and 1 thin steel too, i had to remove both, tris kinde of calibrating have been used for years in medium format digital backs.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 9:04 GMT

DennisS said:

Guess what FINALLY showed up today?
Yay!!! wink

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 18:06 GMT
updated: 25 Sep 2011 at 18:12 GMT
Do not cut the lens hood!

If you GENTLY pry off the front name plate, you will see 3 very small (already lost one) screws holding on the lens hood. You can easily lift off the lens hood. Shaving the hood might be easier with it removed. I would want to put it back so the lens cover has something to grab on to. Double back tape would then hold the front name plate back on.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 18:48 GMT

DennisS said:

Do not cut the lens hood!

If you GENTLY pry off the front name plate, you will see 3 very small (already lost one) screws holding on the lens hood. You can easily lift off the lens hood. Shaving the hood might be easier with it removed. I would want to put it back so the lens cover has something to grab on to. Double back tape would then hold the front name plate back on.

Couple of dots of SuperGlue?
alert moderator
Jaime

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:33 GMT
Thanks DennisS, my lens was a bit rotated so i have removed the shade, drilled 3 new holes and now i have the shade right... and well shaved.
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 at 22:20 GMT
Hm... I am really thinking about the benefits and disadvantages of a Sony Nex-3 or a Olympus E-PL2. Both are below $400 at the moment. To get a bigger FOV on the Nex-3 requires modifications, but the Nex-3 doesn't have an option for a remote, and with less lens options in the future. The interface requires some digging too.

The interface on the PENs i found is more convenient with most options available from the shooting screen, and has an option for external remote. there are more lens options and i would like to look for a more compact kit lens, with the panasonic x 14-42 due to be out this month looks promising for the future. dpreview.com/previews/panasonic_x_14-42_3p5-5p6/

The 4/3 is stuck with a 181 degree diagonal on the samyang, but i wonder if the quality of the panoramics would be any different than on the nex? Is there any benefit with the shaved lens on aps-c sensor if I can technically get the same coverage on a 4/3 with 4 shots at +10, just with a little bit less overlap on the 4/3 and missing a bit at the bottom but made up for with a nadir shot?
alert moderator
Jaime

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 at 19:21 GMT
I have used the Samyang in both m4/3 and Nex, but i was not Integratec in m4/3, in ptguy the shaved 7,5 have a fov of 185-190 deg, and the is much better when you need high iso or dinamic range, if you think you need a remote control Loli for a second hand Nex5, for general photography the interface of m4/3 is better but in panography you just need to control focus, shutter, f stop and iso, all tris is at hand wat the nex, and the focus peaking is a great advance when focusing manually, look at this pano handheld at iso 1600, m4/3 cameras are far from this, and Nex 5 N musa be e ven better, take a look at dxo.

www.360cities.net/image/halloween-at-disney-store...
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 at 15:37 GMT
I've been designing a panohead for the samyang 7.5mm mft lens and I went to the local camera shop hoping to buy a cheap 4/3 camera on sale to test the panohead with. I was just about to buy it but then decided to do a quick test shot around and went back home to take a look. Here are some samples. I tried 4 and 6 around at +10, but the gaps are too wide for 4. For 6, the nadir patched successfully but requires a very flat ground. I don't think it would have worked if there were objects close to the camera. Doing a quick test of 8 (not showing here) is what's required to cover at least to the edge of the tripod legs.

It looks like I'll have to think about getting a used Nex-3 or 5, but i was hoping for a camera with decent AEB settings for exposure fusion with a remote so I wouldn't have to hold the shutter button down or manually set each shot. both nex only have 3 frame +-0.7ev, which makes AEB unusable i think, unless the nex users have some words about this?

I only have the budget for one camera, really liked the interface on the 4/3, but it looks like i need the nex for panos.

I'm waiting for more prototypes of variations of the rotators and I should have the panohead done in a couple weeks.

alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 at 15:59 GMT

thomash2 said:

I've been designing a panohead for the samyang 7.5mm mft lens and I went to the local camera shop hoping to buy a cheap 4/3 camera on sale

There are some cheap Panasonic's on eBay.

I tried 4 and 6 around at +10, but the gaps are too wide for 4. For 6, the nadir patched successfully but requires a very flat ground. I don't think it would have worked if there were objects close to the camera. Doing a quick test of 8 (not showing here) is what's required to cover at least to the edge of the tripod legs.

Try it on a NN3 to get the right angles and stops.

It looks like I'll have to think about getting a used Nex-3 or 5, but i was hoping for a camera with decent AEB settings for exposure fusion with a remote so I wouldn't have to hold the shutter button down or manually set each shot. both nex only have 3 frame +-0.7ev, which makes AEB unusable i think, unless the nex users have some words about this?

That's exactly my complaints about the NEX. It has a great sensor but it's not a good camera for pano's. IMHO.

What you have now would be good enough for monopods. Try rotating the camera a little so the diagonal is vertical. Maybe that will give you more coverage with less up angle. Maybe...
alert moderator
ipozzi

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 at 7:11 GMT
updated: 4 Oct 2011 at 7:14 GMT
I was testing my new samyang 7.5 and I've seen it has a terrible flare/ghosting.
can you please tell me if it's normal compared to yours?
In these pictures I've used f/5.6 on a Olympus E-PL1, lens was clean (just unboxed) and air was dry:

alert moderator
DenisSS

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 at 7:38 GMT

ipozzi said:

...lens was clean (just unboxed) and air was dry...

That doesn't necessarily mean the lens was clean; the glare you have suggests that it is dirty.

Jon
alert moderator
ipozzi

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 at 7:48 GMT

Tactus 360 said:

That doesn't necessarily mean the lens was clean; the glare you have suggests that it is dirty.

the front lens looked clean but could be an uniform dirt so I'm cleaning it right now. I'll test it tonight to see if it was the problem
thank you!
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 at 8:17 GMT
Excellent means coverage down to a monopod.
Good coverage means down to the tripod legs.
Average is slightly above the legs.
Poor is further from the legs, which means there's a chance of not being able to patch the nadir with a hand held shot.

alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 12:47 GMT
I modified the adapter as the ebay seller recommended, which was to widen the gap of the mounting teeth with a screw driver. My lens is quite tight inside now, there's just a little bit of rotation.

I actually got to too tight and had to press them back down, but pressing them made the contact surface rough, so if you widen it incrementally and slowly you should be able to maintain a smooth surface.

The amount of rotation is about the same as I get on my 18-55mm kit lens which I just got. Both the 18-55 and 16 kit lens have a little bit of rotation in relation to the nex body, is this typical on yours? The adapter sits very tightly inside the nex body though.

alert moderator
messages 106-120 of 124
first prev prev 5 6 7 8 9 next next last