Search the forums:
messages 91-105 of 124
first prev prev 5 6 7 8 9 next next last
Author  Message 
hindenhaag

Re: samyang 7,5 m.m. specifications
Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 22:48 GMT
Germain,

I've already sent the exact measurements of Samyang 7.5 after testing last wednesday to Nick. He is going to make one. As DennisS mentioned not est. time of delivery.

You can contact Vincen to email you once being available. He has sent a NN panasonic lens ring to test it if it fits to the samyang 7.5, but it did not. It has to get another insert for this lens.

Vincen Poujol
French Nodal Ninja Distributor
Blog: www.skivr.com
Online shop: magasin.skivr.com
Photo gallery: flickr.com/skivr
Support website: support.skivr.com

Heinz
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 23:39 GMT

Smooth said:

Germain said:

NO no no, i've got the adaptor 4/3 nex, and i want to get a ring like this for the 7.5 : store.nodalninja.com/categories/Ultimate-R1-and-R...
Oh OK, you want a panohead lens ring. So far this doesn't exist. Maybe Nick is going to make one for his Nodal Ninja range? So far we haven't heard anything about this. I used mine on a NN3 MKII.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au

The idea for a lens ring (collar) mount adapter for the NN3/4/5/U upper rail has been kicked around for years. Who knows why Nick keeps not building them. A lens collar is really the most sensible mounting system. There's just a handful of lenses used on all the popular cameras. And the alignment on the pano head is guaranteed to be correct. While the plate system -- T-20/T-30 T-II and CP2 are not reliable for alignment and are difficult to use for a variety of reasons.

Yet Nick still doesn't build a lens ring mount system for the NN's. Mystery.....
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 2:17 GMT
updated: 18 Sep 2011 at 2:18 GMT
You can put together a ring mount adaptor yourself with off the shelf parts.

1)Knob with a 3/8 threaded stud. Available from Granger.com.
2)NN R1 pole adapter
3)NN R1 arca clamp.

Remove the upper arm and all hardware.
Drill the hole in the vertical out to 3/8.
Bolt the arca clamp to the pole adapter. (I think I had to counter sink the holes so the bolt heads would sit flush).
Clamp the pole adapter to the upper arm using the knob. You may have to put a washer or some other spacer between the pole adapter and the upper arm. You will need to trim the threaded stud on the knob down to the proper length.

It worked with my Nikon 10.5 lens. No guarentee that this will work for you.

I did this modification when I was designing my pano head.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 4:48 GMT
Sounds workable. But wouldn't it be a lot simpler if the bottom of a ring clamp was the proper size and height to fit the rail of an NN3/4/5/U and had a 1/4 tapped hole for a nob?

How hard can that be for Nick?
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 5:37 GMT
updated: 18 Sep 2011 at 5:39 GMT

DemonDuck said:

The idea for a lens ring (collar) mount adapter for the NN3/4/5/U upper rail has been kicked around for years. Who knows why Nick keeps not building them.
I'm pretty sure you can use the lens rings on the upper rail of a NN M1 series panohead. Or for that matter a NN3/4/5 in combination of a NNQR. The foot plate is an "Arca-Swiss" compatible design.

Personally with the NEX/Samyang combination I would want to use it on a NN R1 panohead 'til then the NN 3 MKII works perfectly fine. Sony were smart enough NOT to place the mounting point offset. It is directly in line like a SLR. Where it always should be!

I have mine set up using a NNQR and JTec Arca Swiss camera plate. Another rock solid set up.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:25 GMT
updated: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:30 GMT
The quick release plate has to be screwed onto the bottom of the camera. That's the same as using any of the NN camera plates and will suffer the same twisting and alignment problems.

But I guess it makes up for it buy adding a whole new layer of complexity and unnecessary metal parts to carry around and fuss over.

I just don't understand why people think that adding more little parts is the gateway to functionality.

Why can't we just use one F'ing bolt? And I sure as hell ain't gonna buy a whole new pano head just to mount my stupid camera. I think Nodal Ninja has gone off the deep end. Look at all the stuff that has been added to the product line. I don't see anything that is useful to me. And the prices make me gasp.

I think Nodal Ninja peaked with the NN3/5
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:55 GMT
updated: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:56 GMT

DemonDuck said:

The quick release plate has to be screwed onto the bottom of the camera. That's the same as using any of the NN camera plates and will suffer the same twisting and alignment problems.
No, it isn't. The JTec uses the standard mounting bolt and has a secondary offset locking grub screw. It can't and doesn't twist.

DemonDuck said:

I think Nodal Ninja peaked with the NN3/5
Possibly, but people request options all the time, you included. Only your requests don't seem to have been catered for!

Once the lens ring exists it simply attached to the NNQR.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 15:51 GMT
updated: 18 Sep 2011 at 15:53 GMT
Here is another sample from the (Shaved) Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye on the Sony NEX 5

www.omnipix.com.au/panoramas/2011/chifley_engine
This pano was 4 rotational shots +10 degrees and 1 hand held nadir shot. It was a very windy day and the trees were a bastard for ghosting.

Here is a set of RAW files from this scene for you to play with. Each link contains 2 images, so you will need both to make the panorama.

tinyurl.com/image-pair-1
tinyurl.com/image-pair-2

These downloads are available for a few days only.

Hope this is useful for those interested in this set up.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 18:28 GMT
updated: 18 Sep 2011 at 18:28 GMT

Smooth said:

Possibly, but people request options all the time, you included. Only your requests don't seem to have been catered for!

The only thing I've ever wanted was a cheap, simple, reliable way to mount my camera on the upper arm of my NN3. I've offered several ideas that have all been disregarded. And so people like us have to kludge parts and pieces together to get that simple job done.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 18:45 GMT
DemonDuck,

Nick has to keep his business profitable.

If he feels there is not enough interest in a product, he will not produce it. Period.

It took me making a purpose built pano head with the Nadir swivel built in, testing it, showing the design to Nick before he actually started making the product. It took several months (if not a year) before Nick decided that the Nadir swivel should be produced.

Go out and make your own adapter, proove out the design, keep it simple and discuss it directly with Nick. He does listen.

If it were that easy, we would all be using home made gear.

Keeping positive will help get new products to market.

Dennis
alert moderator
juann

Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 16:01 GMT
updated: 20 Sep 2011 at 16:03 GMT
special head for nex + 7,5 m.m. , 50 grames , DIY using alluminium backpack armour:imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/dsc5693h.jpg/
P.D: but I ´m still dreaming with Nodal Ninja blush
Juan
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 17:58 GMT
@ Demon,

got a message for you:

www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?4573-The-...

Cheers,
Heinz
alert moderator
Germain

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 16:23 GMT
Do not cut the lens hood! eek!
-Stick off the washer marked black: Samyang 7.5 fish eye
-screw-off the 3 lens hood screw
Done!
If you reattach the black washer, it may fall, and with it, the ring MAP!
So, get a 40x60mm black washer, or cut it into a box of cookies.
Drill 3 holes, and screw it.
Done! smile
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 16:32 GMT
Your saying you pulled the front off the lens.
I assumed you did this to take the lens hood off (and left it off)?
Ruined the black cover and have no way to attach your lens cap?

Added a washer which you drilled three holes and screws it to the front of the lens?

Photos of what you have done please.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 0:57 GMT
Guess what FINALLY showed up today? The tracking number was useless since the status on line was never updated. Too bad I have to go to the airport and will be gone for the next week. Can't play with the lens until next Saturday. Shipped on the 9th, arrived on the 24th.
alert moderator
messages 91-105 of 124
first prev prev 5 6 7 8 9 next next last