Search the forums:
messages 61-75 of 124
first prev prev 3 4 5 6 7 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Re: samyang 7,5 m.m. specifications
Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 10:49 GMT
An observation whilst playing.
The images shot above f/8.0 (smaller aperture) are substantially sharper at the edges then those shot under f/8.0

Early results indicate f/11 on the NEX is the sweet spot. You could use under this (wider aperture) if you are shooting more rotational images where the edges are negated by the overlap.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Qwerty

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 14:12 GMT
Got a reply to my email to them asking about the projection used in this lens:

Hello I just read about the release of your new 7.5mm fisheye for M43 cameras. I would like to know if this new lens features the same unusual stereographic projection that your 8mm f3.5 fisheye for APC bodies has or is it the more standard projection found on most fisheye lenses? Looking forward to your response.

Hello,

in 7.5mm lens we use equi-solid angle projection.

--
Best Regards
Karol Piętka
Sales and marketing manager
www.samyang.pl
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 14:44 GMT
updated: 15 Sep 2011 at 14:45 GMT

f/11 works a treat on my Sony NEX 5
I have shaved my Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye tonight and retained lens cap fitment. You must remove both of the small lens hood petals completely and remove 1/8" from the larger petals all round (top and sides).

+10 tilt up, 4 shots around and bingo!

Absolutely stoked wink
Will shoot a panorama in tomorrows daylight and share with you, all things going to plan.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 18:07 GMT
updated: 15 Sep 2011 at 18:13 GMT
Will the lens cap still work if you remove all of the sun shade?

Sounds like the best set up is to remove the lens mounting flange as well as the spacers from the Samyang and bolt on the lens mounting flange taken off an old Sony lens. Seeing as how I do not have an old lens, I will have to modify the adapter.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 18:58 GMT
updated: 15 Sep 2011 at 19:02 GMT
Hi Dennis,

If you remove all the sun hood petals the lens cap cannot work. It attaches to the larger petals.

I take it yours is yet to arrive?

As for the mounting you certainly could use parts from another Sony E mount lens but it would still need to be modified. I think the way I have done mine is fine, nothing to technical and rock solid and easily converted back to standard mount (3 screws) and replace the brass spacers. Certainly you could modify the M43/NEX adapter to mount in the place of the original Samyang M43 mount also but you will see when you have it in your hand that you will also need to something the fill the gap.

Good luck, I'd be happy to see what you come up with. wink

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 19:05 GMT
Lens is still MIA and has yet to leave Europe (best as I can figure out).

Do you think that removing the spacers puts the lens in the correct position? Do you think the lens needs to go closer?
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 19:23 GMT

DennisS said:

Do you think that removing the spacers puts the lens in the correct position? Do you think the lens needs to go closer?
I personally feel it is on the limit. If I was to take the small lip (machine off) on the Samyang mount (lens side, not camera side) it would be 100% and I could even replace the spacers and use them for fine adjustment.

I have Infinity focus on the Infinity scale. That is hard against the stop limit. I would like a little more adjustment and will achieve this at a later date after shooting some test panoramas in the daylight. I have spent the night nutting out the NPP, so I'm ready to go.

As for the delivery, I paid via ebay. It was within 48 hours it was marked posted (no tracking) and it arrived 8 days after payment. Take away 2 days dispatch and 2 days for the weekend it was 4-5 working days in transit.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:18 GMT
updated: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:22 GMT
Can anyone say KNUCKLEHEAD?

I went out to shoot you a sample panorama using this (Shaved) Samyang 7.5mm fisheye on my Sony NEX 5 today.

I did, but I forgot to switch the ISO back from 800 after setting up the NPP last night in my office. Sometimes I wonder what's happening as I age! Anyway, it's dark now and I can't re-shoot until tomorrow. So you might as well look at what I managed to get out of the ISO 800 shots.

www.omnipix.net/temp/samyang_7.5mm
6 shots at 60 degree click stops, tilted +10 degrees, f/11.0, ISO 800

Excuse the grain blush

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
badders

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:51 GMT
Sweet! Looks like this little lens is proving to be very versatile! I note you shot @ f/11? So are you saying there's a difference in terms of optimum f-stop between shooting with this lens on a NEX 5 (APS-C) and an OLY E-P3 (M4/3)?

Andrew Baddeley
www.360tacticalvr.com
stores.ebay.co.uk/360tacticalvr
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:13 GMT

badders said:

Sweet! Looks like this little lens is proving to be very versatile!
Yes, great little lens no doubt about that.

badders said:

I note you shot @ f/11? So are you saying there's a difference in terms of optimum f-stop between shooting with this lens on a NEX 5 (APS-C) and an OLY E-P3 (M4/3)?
Yes, the Micro 4/3 sensor pose differences where diffraction starts and so a wider aperture is required when compared to APS-C sized sensors.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:52 GMT
As Juann mentioned earlier you can cover the complete sphere in just 3 shots using the (Shaved) Samyang 7.5mm on a Sony NEX.

Overlap is minimal, but it will stitch if you have places to add control points.

Absolutely no chance handheld!

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Qwerty

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 13:27 GMT
Great pano!

It would be interesting to see a photograph of your hacked lens as well as what it looks like on the NEX.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 17:54 GMT

Sandeep said:

Great pano!

It would be interesting to see a photograph of your hacked lens as well as what it looks like on the NEX.
As requested:
Here is the lens fitted to my Sony NEX 5 with the lens hood shaved and shaped. This allows for the lens cap to still be attached and "possibly" still heps a little against the sun hitting the lens.

Here is how I mounted the M4/3 to NEX E Mount Adapter:

With these 3 screws out you can remove the "brass" spacer rings. To drill the holes through the adapter I turned the Samyang mount upside down while it was off, use a mini clamp to hold tight and drilled through the Samyang holes (pilot). Turned the unit over and countersunk the holes until the screw head mounted flush.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 18:40 GMT
Smooth,

Do you see any advantage to leaving that sharp piece of spring steel on the adapter? Since that adapter is now bolted on, no need for the spring steel sticking out ready to cut your finger or snag on the inside of your camera bag.

My lens is still MIA.

Dennis
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 18:47 GMT

DennisS said:

Do you see any advantage to leaving that sharp piece of spring steel on the adapter?
Nope it needs to go. I just don't have the jewelers tools to remove the tiny Phillips head screws at hand. That bugger is sharp and I want it gone.

DennisS said:

My lens is still MIA.
Bummer cry
Everyday is another day closer I guess.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
messages 61-75 of 124
first prev prev 3 4 5 6 7 next next last