Search the forums:
messages 46-55 of 55
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 15:07 GMT
Adding to this thread....

Dorin asked what if you were to purchase a Nikon mount Samyang and by using an adapter how would it perform on a Canon?

The reason for this? Say you have a class of people/students who do not own a Fisheye lens and maybe cannot afford to purchase one. As a group they could all put in and purchase the one Nikon mount version and share it around between Nikon and Canon users.

I recently purchased a Nikon mount Vivitar 7mm Fisheye (at least this is how it is badged) The reality is, it is a re-styled Samyang 8mm Fisheye (as I have mentioned before, these are all the same lens). Personally I like the Vivitar styling (makes absolutely no difference to functionality).
OK, so I only received this late yesterday from the USA (on forwarded by a friend in Florida) I quickly found the NPP on my Nikon D300s logged the figures and then thought I should give it a go on my trusty old 6.3 Megapixel Canon 10D APS-C DSLR via a Fotodiox Nikon F mount adapter to Canon EOS.
See www.fotodiox.com/catalog/product_info.php?product...
or the Pro version www.fotodiox.com/catalog/product_info.php?product...
It should be noted that Fotodiox quote "Infinity focusing is guaranteed." on both models.
I located the NPP which was 3.5mm different (forward) to the Falcon/Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon mount on the same camera.

View panorama omnipix.net/knowledge/vivitar_on_canon

As you can see it is closer to 9mm in fullframe mode and 10mm in circular mode (same as the Canon mount Samyang give or take).

For a limited time you can download the images set and .pts file to have a play yourself.
rcpt.yousendit.com/863460201/5a7eb3b76f3450547433...

You can see here because of the offset of the adapter that you do capture a small part of the sunshade (it is of no consequence). If "may" be possible that this occurred because my adapter is modified (from a previous project) so it may or may not be typical.

I'm yet to find the "sweet" hyperfocal point of the lens, but I can say the focus is different to that of the Canon mount version. Is this because of the adapter? Is it because the lens is a different build style? Different mount type? I'm not sure, but it appears to be able to focus just fine and a few shots will find the sweet spot I'm sure.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 1 May 2010 at 6:42 GMT
updated: 1 May 2010 at 6:42 GMT
Hi Smooth, you're, as allways, helpful and informative.

Thank you smile

Dorin
alert moderator
PuzzleDreams

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 20:45 GMT
Guys! I`m trustful that you would help me with my problem. I have a Nikon d5000, a samyang 8mm 3.5 NN3 + rotator RD16 + EZ Leveler 2 + slik d700 dx. I use ptgui for stiching the panoramas. As i read so many times this thread i understood that by not having any communication between body and lens, one should input manually the setting in ptgui for the samyang lens. I only found on this forum for canon. Can someone help me with the figures for nikon (crop sensor)??? I would appreciate that so much!
alert moderator
bigwade

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 23:13 GMT
There's no need for setting the lens values.
Just drop your images in PTGui and if you have made the pano correct, PTGui will calculate the settings.
If you have a standard workflow save those settings.
PTGui tutorials can be found on the web.
alert moderator
enridp

Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 9:00 GMT
is not possible to make a panorama with 3 shots using a sensor with 1.5X and the Samyang (not shaved)?
(I can have a big nadir, like those leaved by Google Street View)
alert moderator
badders

Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 9:30 GMT

enridp said:

is not possible to make a panorama with 3 shots using a sensor with 1.5X and the Samyang (not shaved)?

No. It's not possible.

Badders
www.360tacticalvr.com
stores.ebay.co.uk/360tacticalvr
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:09 GMT
updated: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:20 GMT

enridp said:

(I can have a big nadir, like those leaved by Google Street View)

It is possible only if you can live with huge zenith and nadir. In fact, you get a cylindrical pano.
Here is how. Buy lens ring for your lens and mount it on Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1/10 with your camera in landscape orientation.
Alternatively, you can mount camera and lens on lower rails of NN3/5/5L.

nick
alert moderator
enridp

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 19:16 GMT
What would be the size of the nadir with 3 shots (covering the full zenith)?
I'm triyn to deduce it but I don't know how to maximize the coverage of the lenses.
I mean, if you look at Sigma 8mm, you will se its vfov (in landscape) is <120º but you can make a full pano with 3 shots anyway!!
I think Samyang vfov (landscape) is only 102º, dfov 180º, and I don't know hfov...
I want to cover 360H and the maximum ºV (covering the full zenith) with 3 shots. How should I put the camera in every shot?

Thanks!!
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 5:40 GMT

enridp said:

What would be the size of the nadir with 3 shots (covering the full zenith)?
I'm triyn to deduce it but I don't know how to maximize the coverage of the lenses.
I mean, if you look at Sigma 8mm, you will se its vfov (in landscape) is <120º but you can make a full pano with 3 shots anyway!!
I think Samyang vfov (landscape) is only 102º, dfov 180º, and I don't know hfov...
I want to cover 360H and the maximum ºV (covering the full zenith) with 3 shots. How should I put the camera in every shot?

Thanks!!

Smooth showed the horizontal angle of view was about 100 deg for camera in portrait mode.
www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/7284/?page=4
This is the vertical angle of view for camera in landscape mode. At 0 deg tilt. The zenith and nadir hole is about 80 deg.

nick
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:23 GMT

enridp said:

You would simply mount the camera in landscape orientation with pitch=41 degrees. That would just manage to close the zenith hole , but it would leave a rather large nadir hole of approximately 170 degrees.

John
alert moderator
messages 46-55 of 55
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last