Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 16-30 of 55
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 17:46 GMT

Ken Warner said:

Amazing sharpness and clarity for just a 6mp camera. I assume you did some sort of CA correction.

Yes, slight CA adjustment and WB correction.

mediavets said:

Smooth said:

OK, shot a set of images.
Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info

Thanks. FYI they proved simple to stitch with Autopano Pro/Giga.

I would hope so!

mediavets said:

Would the overlaps be smaller, or larger, with a 1.5x crop Nikon DX body?

Slightly larger.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 17:55 GMT

DorinDXN said:

It is ok, only to be in landscape mode (one at 60° of yaw)and with the NPP over the rotation axis, not need to be really exact,
say using NN3 in landscape mode with no tilt is fine

Dorin,
I have sent you a set of images to your requirements via www.yousendit.com please let me know that you received them. They are addressed to your regular email address.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
v360r

Posts: 72
Location: England, United Kingdom
Registered: 11 Aug 2009
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 19:11 GMT
Thanks Smooth for posting files... always like reading your posts.
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posts: 3116
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Registered: 14 Nov 2006
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 17:40 GMT

Smooth said:

DorinDXN said:

It is ok, only to be in landscape mode (one at 60° of yaw)and with the NPP over the rotation axis, not need to be really exact,
say using NN3 in landscape mode with no tilt is fine
Dorin,
I have sent you a set of images to your requirements via www.yousendit.com please let me know that you received them. They are addressed to your regular email address.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info


Thank you Smooth, I downloaded the photos and here is a test
www.livepanoramas.com/test/SamyangAPSC/pano001.ht...

That's a very useful test as a S/H DSLR with crop 1.6 or 1.5 is not so expensive as well as the Samyang lens, as the stitchless panos are now very easy to do that will open the way for that more and more photographer enthusiasts to "speak pano" they need to know to use the camera and have a reliable(repetable) tripod/pano-head.

I'll include the projects for Samyang in the .zip archive in the next days.

thanks again,
Dorin
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 18:02 GMT

DorinDXN said:

Thank you Smooth, I downloaded the photos and here is a test
www.livepanoramas.com/test/SamyangAPSC/pano001.ht...
That's great Dorin. Glad it worked, glad also to have helped.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Adamo

Posts: 5
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Registered: 8 Dec 2009
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 22:37 GMT
Hi Smooth,
What settings do you use on the lens (Fstop and aperture)?
Did you use Autopano and what else to create the example pano?
Thank you!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 3:56 GMT

Adamo said:

Hi Smooth,
What settings do you use on the lens (Fstop and aperture)?
Did you use Autopano and what else to create the example pano?
Thank you!

Canon 10D
Samyang/Falcon (Branded) 8mm Fisheye
Nodal Ninja 5 Beta on R-D3L
ISO 100, f/11.0 at -1ev x 4 rotational shots at -10 degrees + 2x 180 degree apposed Zenith shots at +60 degrees
Adobe Camera Raw via Bridge to process the jpgs
Noise Ninja
PTGui
Lightzone
Photoshop CS4
Pano2VR

(all from memory!)

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Adamo

Posts: 5
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Registered: 8 Dec 2009
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 15:13 GMT
one more thing
what distance did you set for focus?
thank you!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 15:26 GMT

Adamo said:

one more thing
what distance did you set for focus?
thank you!

1.8
I hope you will share your results!

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Adamo

Posts: 5
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Registered: 8 Dec 2009
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Nikon APS-C
Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 17:50 GMT
Can I upload images here?
I have a problem with shooting and stitching nadir shots. Where can I find a good tutorial(s)? Zenith shots seem to be handled well and automatically. I just shoot zenith at +65 on NN5, but nadir at -65 does not work that well. Also 5 around at -10.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Nikon APS-C
Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 18:14 GMT
updated: 27 Jan 2010 at 18:15 GMT

Adamo said:

Can I upload images here?

Only finalised panoramas. Use a free image host like www.photobucket.com they supply the code to place into this forum.

Adamo said:

I have a problem with shooting and stitching nadir shots. Where can I find a good tutorial(s)? Zenith shots seem to be handled well and automatically. I just shoot zenith at +65 on NN5, but nadir at -65 does not work that well. Also 5 around at -10.

See the View Point Offset tutorial www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html Download the sample images and learn the process.

John also has tutorials at www.johnhpanos.com

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Adamo

Posts: 5
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Registered: 8 Dec 2009
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Nikon APS-C
Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 19:18 GMT
Smooth,
I set F stop to 9.5 and focus ring to about 1.8 and I cannot get my images as sharp as yours. what's the trick?
Did you calibrate your lens as in this article:
www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Nikon APS-C
Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:19 GMT

Adamo said:

Smooth,
I set F stop to 9.5 and focus ring to about 1.8 and I cannot get my images as sharp as yours. what's the trick?

No trick, just experience.

Adamo said:

Did you calibrate your lens as in this article:
www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf

Never seen it before and no, straight out of the box. The article seems a lot of technical waffle by an optics nerd. No lens is that interesting as to need a 22 page report. But, if you get off on that sort of thing....

Without seeing your results it is hard to say why. My guess is post processing of the RAW images.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posts: 3116
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Registered: 14 Nov 2006
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Nikon APS-C
Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 7:29 GMT
Hi Adamo, the proper correction of the CA will improve the sharpness as well

Dorin
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Nikon APS-C
Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 11:08 GMT

DorinDXN said:

Hi Adamo, the proper correction of the CA will improve the sharpness as well

Yes, as Dorin points out this will help greatly. Even the sample .jpg's I uploaded have been corrected for White Balance and Chromatic Aberration with Adobe Camera Raw.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
messages 16-30 of 55
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last