first prev Prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 10:06 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 10:08 GMT
From another thread: www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/7281/

Hans Nyberg said:

For the Samyang on a Canon APS the best is to take 5-6 around at -10 and a zenith at 60 degree. You can do it with 4 around but it will give a small overlap which probably will generate less controlpoints.

I do not have it myself and it is based on trials I done on images from others.

You should set the initial FOV at 9mm and fullframe. The Canon version will probably not have any EXIF to confuse PTGui as the Nikon has. On Nikon the Exif will tell Ptgui that it is 6mm FOV and that will confuse PTGui which might generate an unuseable panorama.

It is important that you use advanced optimizing with optimizing checked for FOV -a, b, d and e.

Hans

As I use the Samyang and have tested it extensively I thought I would show the settings I use.

Firstly shooting 4 images with -10 degrees tilt at 90 degree click stops in rotation is enough. The overlap is ample. You will also need a Zenith/Up shot at +60 degrees. This shot can be anywhere between +60 and +90 degrees whatever is suitable to capture "content" for control points to be added.

Diagram (animation) shows overlap 4 shots with -15 degree tilt down and 1 shot at +60 degrees tilt up.

When importing into PTGui you will get this screen.

You should enter 9mm for the focal length (though this number is not critical) at this stage.

From here you need to change the lens type from circular to fullframe and then the focal length from 7.955 to 9.00

Stitching is then undertaken.
My results show plenty of well placed control points. This first example is when I have limited the "maximum" control points per pair to 10.

The second with a maximum limit of control points to 40.

This is based on .jpg images straight from the camera. When set to a maximum of 10 control points per overlapping image pair I got a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 9.

When set to 40 I got a minimum of 33 and a maximum of 39.

So as you can see control points are not an issue when using only 4 images in rotation.

Once optimised the lens parameter shows at 9.195mm

Typically my control points show an average 0.60 to 0.75 depending on whether it is set to 10 or 40 maximum control points par image pair.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Re: Samyang 8mm Fisheye Canon APS-C
Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 10:27 GMT
How well are the controlpoints spread along the image.
The set I tried with 4 images was a Nikon set and I was surprised that it generated controlpoints just as well as my Canon 15mm.

Because of the unusual fisheye projection I had expected that PTgui might fail and only generate controlpoints in the center like it does with Sigma 8mm.

Hans
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 10:41 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 10:42 GMT

Hans Nyberg said:

How well are the controlpoints spread along the image.

The spread is good and wide it does have a tendency to ignore the upper regions (possibly because of the tilt angle). Maybe the top 25% of shot on the rotational images. I would say the spread is about the same as my Canon 5DMKII/Canon 15mm fisheye combination. They are not clustered at all.

My test room (my messy office) proves similar results with both combinations. I was going to post a picture showing the control points but then after looking at the state of the room and the content within, thought better of it. Really it (the spread) is very good.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
v360r

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 13:07 GMT
Please could you upload a set of sample images (perhaps with PTGUI project). Thanks Smooth smile
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 13:25 GMT
Yes, me too. Smooth always is very helpful so I don't dare to ask.. still.. I'm very interested in 6 photos with samyang on APS-C sensor for a stitchless project sample in my case is need to be in landscape (one at 60°) jpegs are fine.

But again, is already great that Smooth provided me samples before smile so.. only if is not much trouble.

Dorin
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 14:12 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 14:12 GMT

v360r said:

Please could you upload a set of sample images (perhaps with PTGUI project). Thanks Smooth smile

DorinDXN said:

Yes, me too. Smooth always is very helpful so I don't dare to ask.. still.. I'm very interested in 6 photos with samyang on APS-C sensor for a stitchless project sample in my case is need to be in landscape (one at 60°) jpegs are fine.
But again, is already great that Smooth provided me samples before smile so.. only if is not much trouble.

Dorin

Hi Guys,

I will find somewhere and something to shoot tomorrow in daylight hours and upload them for you. So long as I remember and it's not a stormy afternoon.

Dorin,

I thought you wanted from an NNR1 and I don't have a ring for the Samyang (does one exist yet?) Otherwise I have to change to landscape another way and will not have the tilt. Is this OK?

I'll see what I can do.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 14:20 GMT

Smooth said:

I was going to post a picture showing the control points but then after looking at the state of the room and the content within...

Half-eaten kangaroo carcasses and piles of empty tinnies?? laugh

Andrew
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 15:20 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 15:32 GMT

Smooth said:

v360r said:

DorinDXN said:

Dorin

Hi Guys,

I will find somewhere and something to shoot tomorrow in daylight hours and upload them for you. So long as I remember and it's not a stormy afternoon.

Dorin,

I thought you wanted from an NNR1 and I don't have a ring for the Samyang (does one exist yet?) Otherwise I have to change to landscape another way and will not have the tilt. Is this OK?

I'll see what I can do.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info

It is ok, only to be in landscape mode (one at 60° of yaw)and with the NPP over the rotation axis, not need to be really exact,
say using NN3 in landscape mode with no tilt is fine

thanks smile
Dorin

L.E. if is an advanced rotator under the NN3 then is even great
alert moderator
badders

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 15:40 GMT
I thought you wanted from an NNR1 and I don't have a ring for the Samyang (does one exist yet?)

Yes they exist and are in stock for Nikon and Pentax mounts at present.

Andrew Baddeley
www.360tacticalvr.com
stores.ebay.co.uk/360tacticalvr
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 16:04 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 16:07 GMT
Hi, was just posted on panotoolsng<autopano forum
It seems that the lenshood can be physically unscrewd from lens, so is easy to shave the Samyang for use it on a FF

www.autopano.net/forum/t7939-samyang

Dorin
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 16:48 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 16:50 GMT

DorinDXN said:

It seems that the lenshood can be physically unscrewd from lens, so is easy to shave the Samyang for use it on a FF

Hmm, what they were not clear about it that the "Hood" doesn't unscrew but the front "elements" of glass unscrews making it "somewhat" easier to shave away the hood petals without any chance of hitting the front element.

I just pulled mine apart using a draftsman drawing compass with a cut down nail in the lead slot. It worked well enough! Just understand the hood petals do NOT unscrew from the body of the lens.

Is this good? I don't know. Sure, you can cut down the hood easier but you have opened the lens body and it will be subject to dust and debris and the front elements are also exposed not to mention you could slip with the compass/scissors attempting to remove the front elements.

Personally I will have a bash myself because I'm pretty handy with such things, but I can see tears for some people for sure.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 17:01 GMT
Thanks Smooth, yes, that is the correct info, my fault, the front element can be removed and that could make the shaving somewhat easier, but then as you said, oppens an way for dust and debris.

Dorin
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 8:29 GMT
OK, shot a set of images. As suspected big Summer afternoon storm tried to upset my plans. But I still shot them and all went well except the big bloody rain drops from time to time and menacing Grey skys.

You can download the sample files (.jpgs and .pts) for a limited time and for a limited amount of times from
download.yousendit.com/TzY0SU5IQVN0QTNIRGc9PQ

I included two up/zenith shots 180 degrees apposed. Only one is needed and you can test this for yourself by turn one or the other off in the advanced "Select" included images options of PTGui Publish tab.

I stitched and published a set myself and the result can be viewed at www.smooth360.com/2010/victoria_park
Please note: Only a Flash version is available

Understand these are only .jpgs and were shot with a 6.3mp Canon 10D and the Samyang/Falcon 8mm Fisheye.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Ken Warner

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:05 GMT
updated: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:06 GMT
Amazing sharpness and clarity for just a 6mp camera. I assume you did some sort of CA correction.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 12:53 GMT

Smooth said:

OK, shot a set of images.
Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info

Thanks. FYI they proved simple to stitch with Autopano Pro/Giga.

Would the overlaps be smaller, or larger, with a 1.5x crop Nikon DX body?

Andrew
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 55
first prev Prev 1 2 3 4 next next last