back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 20
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
high view beltpodcam for use in crowds
Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 15:58 GMT
updated: 7 Mar 2009 at 22:25 GMT
Following a second successful outing I thought that others might be interested in my solution for working in crowds.

As you can see the base of the pod is located by either a 35mm film can or other plastic container which fits it snugly cable tied to a couple of belt holes and a two way bubble level lets you see when you have it all plumb. Here the pod is not fully extended but when at its max it gives a camera height of about 2.5 metres.

Release is by way of a cheap radio trigger and it is very easy to rotate the whole rig with one hand. I am using a shaved Nikkor so I get the full circle with just 4 shots but I see no reason why it won't work using more shots as it is very stable.

The only drawback that I have found is that it is difficult to get a proper nadir as the operator will always be in shot. It is easier the higher that you go as the area occupied by the base of the ring mount becomes smaller. I thought of disguising it with a shot of a pint of beer but that would take a lot of PS work - hence the small logo used as a cap. If anyone has a better idea I would like to hear it!

There are eleven examples shot with this rig here

www.bhphoto.biz/bonfire/index.html
etegration

Re: high view beltpodcam for use in crowds
Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 9:46 GMT
nice idea! may i know what lense are you using to achieve 4 shots for a full pano?
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 10:04 GMT
updated: 17 Nov 2007 at 10:17 GMT

etegration said:

nice idea! may i know what lense are you using to achieve 4 shots for a full pano?

irieman said:

.. I am using a shaved Nikkor so I get the full circle with just 4 shots but I see no reason why it won't work using more shots as it is very stable.

after 18 minutes, against of you say on your blog that panoguide gives slow answers wink

The answer: with Sigma 8 mm on your camera you can achieve a pano from only 4 shoots, like in this example kindly posted by John

www.johnhpanos.com/lock2a.htm

Dorin
alert moderator
Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 10:54 GMT
"nice idea! may i know what lense are you using to achieve 4 shots for a full pano?"

It's the Nikkorr 10.5mm FE - sorry, I had assumed that everyone would know that shaved Nikkor was shorthand for that lens but as Dorin points out there are other alternatives including the Sigma - and I expect that the Tokina could be used in exactly the same way. As I use a full frame camera you would have to check your options if on a DSLR. Having said that I see no reason why you couldn't accurately judge 6 around or even 8. The beauty of this rig is that provided you keep your body still it is a very stable platform for the camera - much more so than you might think! My only complaint was that after a few hours I was starting to get quite a backache - but then I am no longer in the first flush of youth cry
Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 10:56 GMT
Just had another close look at the photo of the rig ( taken by Mrs H) and see that the lenscap is still on the lens - now that is embarrassing blush

it was for demonstration purposes only of course laugh
juann

Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 22:36 GMT
Hello , good idea , which one is your reference for turning around entrance pupil . Thanks
alert moderator
Posted: 18 Nov 2007 at 11:10 GMT
"Hello , good idea , which one is your reference for turning around entrance pupil . Thanks"

I start with the bubble pointing directly towards me and then rotate in which ever direction is most appropriate. The bubble level itself becomes a very good indicator of when the pod has rotated through 90 degrees so it is a rapid process. My EXIF data shows an average of 6 seconds between first and last shots.

As I have become used to working with this I only look closely at the bubble level for the first shot - a glimpse for 90 left and right to reassure myself that I'm not way off - you can't really see the bubble when it points away from you anyway. Ideally the bubble level should be just below eye height and adjustable for different pod extensions - otherwise the pod cannot be fully collapsed.

The level needs to be set at about that height - too low will exaggerate any errors of level. I am surprised by just how stable this is and how accurate you can be with it. The subject matter isn't the easiest to stitch but I am getting excellent results in PTGUI for Mac with just 4 CP's placed manually per pair.
DorinDXN

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 at 11:25 GMT

irieman said:

you can't really see the bubble when it points away from you anyway.

you need to use two bubbles

Dorin
alert moderator
Posted: 18 Nov 2007 at 11:36 GMT
Two bubbles would be a good idea, especially if you were shooting more than 4 shots but so far I haven't found this to be a problem with just 4 around.
juann

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 at 13:51 GMT
I understand , your body doesn´t move only pod rotate.I like your pano head too wink .Thanks
alert moderator
Posted: 18 Nov 2007 at 14:23 GMT
Pano head is from

bophoto.com/bracket/index.html

Can't recommend them highly enough -a really good piece of kit.
gus

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 at 18:30 GMT
Instead of using 2 bubbles, which I imagine must be a bit tricky to attempt to steady, is to use what is called a "rod level". This is used in the land surveying industry to hold staffs and rods plumb. You simply fix the level to the pole by using an elastic band, and you only have one fisheye bubble to look at.
Available from any land surevying supplies stores. Here is a picture:
www.geodetic.com.au/category590_1.htm
gus
alert moderator
Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 11:46 GMT
I like the look of the one that clips on - must check what sizes it comes in.

Thanks

Bruce
HalfPint

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 16:17 GMT
Hi all,

nice idea to rise the monopod. For use with a monopod I bought this buble level for about 10 Euros which is tied to the pod with a rubber band:

www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2894

Regards, Martin
alert moderator
Dave Kennard

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 20:03 GMT
Nice panos, your technique obviously works well. I especially liked No.3 where lots of people are checking the lcds on their cameras.

I lived in Sussex for a few years until recently, but never went to the Lewes Bonfire night so it was nice to see what I missed.
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 20
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last