messages 46-60 of 63
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 5 next next last
Author  Message 
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Re: Nodal Ninja 3 has arrived
Posted: 8 Jul 2006 at 10:45 GMT

John Houghton said:

Ron, In your setup, you have the camera set about 13mm further back than mine.
The other (not very elegant) solution might be to have a spacer block made to raise the upright arm by 15mm, say. That would need to be properly made so as not to unduly compromise rigidity and general alignment accuracy.

I plan to make a Manfrotto 300N like rotator base, you can mount the rotator base directly on the horizontal arm. This gives you extra vertical clearance of 12.5mm (height of the horizontal knob). if you need this solution urgently, you can buy a Manfrotto 300N.
In any case, you can return NN3 within 30 days if you don't like it.
The idea of spacer block is not viable. The spacer will introduce instability. and if I need to make it fit as precisely as the vertical arm, it is not going to be cheap!

nick
alert moderator
ron smith

Posted: 8 Jul 2006 at 17:31 GMT
Hi John

I thought of the idea of building a block to extend the verticle arm. I think the extra clearance would be an added solution in case I ever wanted to use a longer lens. I am going to get a longer bolt and a .5-1 inch aluminum block and make an extender for the vertical arm. That shouldnt compromise any regidity as the weight will be negligable and the aluminum would be rigid.

Nick, I am not really picturing what your idea was??? The clearance issue is from the base knurled nut and the length of the vertical arm. Where would you put a 300N to make the verticle arm longer???

Ron
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 8 Jul 2006 at 19:23 GMT

roundworld said:

Nick, I am not really picturing what your idea was??? The clearance issue is from the base knurled nut and the length of the vertical arm. Where would you put a 300N to make the verticle arm longer???

Ron,
the horizontal arm of NN3 has 3/8" socket after you remove the silver collar on the horizontal arm.

ignore the detent and the turntable in the picture.
This is for mounting Manfrotto 300N or my future rotator base. In this configuration, you don't need the horizontal knob (with NN3 marking) and hence get extra vertical clearance.

I also want to point out that if you are taking the zenith just for the sky, you can use the "tripod tilting" method as suggested By Hans in the Q&A forum for taking nadir shot. The same principle applies. Just take a cylindrial pano and then take the zenith and nadir by tilting the tripod.

You can easy do nadir with your tripod and spherical head without removing camera.
Just do like this.
www.panoramas.dk/quicktime/qtvr/nadir.html

If you are 10 cm from the nodalpont does not matter for af lat area

Hans
alert moderator
ron smith

Posted: 9 Jul 2006 at 15:38 GMT
Great idea Nick. That would allow alot more variety in camera body and lens types.

Ron
alert moderator
tzphotos-com

Posted: 9 Nov 2006 at 18:18 GMT
updated: 9 Nov 2006 at 18:20 GMT

Nick Fan said:

The problem can be solved by using a dedicated quick release system. The system has to fit on the swing arm to prevent rotation of system. I plan to make two system: one is Arca Swiss compatible (expensive to make by CNC machining), the other is a general purpose QR that can be made in bulk by die-casting. and I will also make QR adapter plates for systems in the current market--this is a better solution for those who have QR already. if you camera is not too big, you can mount a QR on the T-adapter for the same purpose.
I am doing everything I can to make them available ASAP. Your early support has make my progress one step forward.

nick

Nick,

Do you have any idea when this will be available? I am looking into the purchase of the "Markins Q3 Emille Ball Head System", which uses a "Arca-Swiss type quick release". If I understand you correctly I would be able to put my camera into the system you are developing?

You can see the ball head and quick release system at the following link:

Ball head: www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php
Quick Release Camera Plate: www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/PG-30U.php

I hope this is a compatible system to what you are developing.

Thank you,
Tom

www.tzphotos.com
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 at 2:05 GMT

tzphotos-com said:

Do you have any idea when this will be available? I am looking into the purchase of the "Markins Q3 Emille Ball Head System", which uses a "Arca-Swiss type quick release". If I understand you correctly I would be able to put my camera into the system you are developing?

Hands full at the moment, I hope to release it in April 2007. yes, it is compatible with Arca swiss system.

nick
alert moderator
vknt

Posted: 2 Feb 2007 at 9:58 GMT
Hi Nick

I'm planning to buy a NN3, when will the next release be? It seems like they're gonna be significant updates.
I'd rather not buy one if there's a better one the next month. wink
alert moderator
John Spikowski

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 at 5:43 GMT
Nick,

It's nice to see a that kind of generosity here on the forum. The sponsors of the PanoTools site are also in the giving mood and are holding a ( forum.panotools.info/viewtopic.php?t=78 ) sweepstakes to celebrate the PanoTools group forth anniversary. (April 18th, 2007)

Everyone is welcome to stop on by and put their name in the hat for some really great prizes.

John Spikowski
PanoTools Admin. Support
www.panotools.info
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 at 8:50 GMT

vknt said:

Hi Nick

I'm planning to buy a NN3, when will the next release be? It seems like they're gonna be significant updates.
I'd rather not buy one if there's a better one the next month. wink

sorry, I can't tell when will be the next release because it is still under development. There are lot of uncertainty and possible delays.
The upgrade will be mainly for bigger cameras and lens. So if NN3 works for your camera and lens. There is no point to wait. The bigger model will be heavier, bulkier and more expansive. The development of NN3 was never ended. we are developing accessories to improve its function and ease of use.

nick
alert moderator
bigwade

Posted: 5 Mar 2007 at 0:11 GMT
The NN3 is almost perfect, it only needs a better rotator and the vertical arm
2cm higher.......
(for a 5D with a Tokina 10-17)
smile)
Have fun
Frank
alert moderator
jeffE

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 16:21 GMT
I've just ordered mine, so I can't see this yet. How will I be able to tell if my unit has this problem? Is it easy to see or measure?
Sorry for the dumb question....
alert moderator
jeffE

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 19:04 GMT
Just realized I was asking about something 3 pages back....
I was asking "mshakeshaft

Posted: 27 Jun 2006 at 4:45 CDT reply
Mine arrived yesterday - Thanks Nick.

The new rotator does seem to be a bit of an improvement on the old one, but I am staying with the 15 degree indent plate as it allows me to go with either a 4 or 6 around without having to change anything.

Definately appears to be lighter with the use of the plastic knobs - but they appear to be very sturdy.

As mentioned the painted points are a bit off. On the bottom arm one is 4 mm further than the other.... a very minor point though."

I see also that this was writtne back in June and may already be corrected. I'll find out in a few days....
alert moderator
Tom Brown

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 9:06 GMT

Nick Fan said:

you can tighten the horizontal knob a bit. This removes the play.

I just received an NN3 this evening. There is a lot of slop in the horizontal element that rotates. I can wiggle it up and down about 1/4".

I tried adding one of the spare plastic washers supplied with the unit and that removes the slop and makes it serviceable but then the detents quit working.

Am I missing something?
alert moderator
Mauro Contrafatto

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 10:18 GMT

Tom Brown said:

I just received an NN3 this evening. There is a lot of slop in the horizontal element that rotates. I can wiggle it up and down about 1/4".

Tom,

have you already tried to tighten the low rotator base as described in the manual and in the video tutorial available on the Nodal Ninja website?

Here is a direct link:
www.nodalninja.com/nodal_ninja_user_manual.html

Hope it helps!
Mauro
alert moderator
Tom Brown

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 21:08 GMT

Mauro Contrafatto said:

have you already tried to tighten the low rotator base as described in the manual and in the video tutorial available on the Nodal Ninja website?

I was not aware of the video tutorials. Thank you for the links. I'm at work now but I will watch the tutorials and set things up accordingly when I get home.

I'd like to point out that I have taken the rotator apart, tried different detent plates, and generally studied it to see if I can figure out what is wrong. Nothing looks damaged or improperly built. I'm sure it can be adjusted to function well, I just need to learn more about it.

Thanks again for the help,

Tom
alert moderator
messages 46-60 of 63
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 5 next next last