Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: Slow day at the office again

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
DennisS

Slow day at the office again
Posted: 7 Apr 2014 at 0:07 GMT
When taking a hand held Nadir patch shot, the more accurately you can point the camera at the pivot point on the ground directly below the center of your tripod or monopod the easier it is to stitch in the Nadir patch shot.

I mounted a laser pointer onto my D800. The red dot is calibrated to point to the exact center of the picture. Now I can easily take an accurate offset hand held Nadir patch shot. I just need to remember to remove the bright red dot from the center of the patch shot prior to stitching.

I did the same thing for my NEX7/Sigma 8mm rig. Having a laser pointer sure makes stitching easier.
alert moderator
mskp

Re: Slow day at the office again
Posted: 7 Apr 2014 at 0:53 GMT
Hi Dennis!
I´ve been thinking about a similar setup to keep the center when shooting object movies. In my particular case around cars. The thing is that the position of the laser pointer varies with the distance of the object. In my case the car in yours the floor. Isn´t it? I mean the angle of the pointer in reference to the camera. I remember the old Bolex 16mm with the external optical viewfinder which had to be alligned and calibrated depending of the distance to the object to be filmed.
Regards, Martin

www.todocoleccion.net/camara-cine-bolex-paillard-...
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 at 2:02 GMT
I would draw one big circle on the ground. Park the car right in the middle. Use a tripod and put two legs on the circle. BAM! Same distance away from the center of the car with the car in the center of all pictures (provided you parked in the center of the circle).

OR

You could find a very large turntable to put the car on.
alert moderator
aaronho

Posted: 8 Apr 2014 at 11:28 GMT
Wow Dennis that is a wonderful idea. I'm sure to try it on my next photo shoot.

Corporate Photography Sydney
voozzi.bcz.com/2014/03/19/corporatephotography/
alert moderator