Thread: PTGui question

Search the forums:
Author  Message 
mrblond

PTGui question
Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 17:37 GMT
updated: 12 Mar 2014 at 17:52 GMT
Hi,
while stitching photos with PTGui I cannot fix some annoying problem. It is about the ghosts because of some moving objects - cars, people...

[URL=s71.photobucket.com/user/panygoff/media/panoramas...][IMG]
[/IMG][/URL]

You see the streetcar, it is just partly shown.
When I make it with HUGIN, it choose one of the images to be a dominant and correctly shows only moving objects from this image but the PTGui mess them up.

Can someone help, please?
alert moderator
BwanaQ

Re: PTGui question
Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 20:30 GMT
Select the Advanced option and use the Mask tool.
You can use the "red" tool to select objects to exclude them or the "green" option to keep them, but there must be sufficient overlap.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 23:05 GMT
If you are on a Windows system, you can alternatively use Smartblend in place of the PTGui blender, which should give a similar result to Hugin's. Details can be found in this somewhat old tutorial: www.johnhpanos.com/ptgtut.htm .

John
alert moderator
mrblond

Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 13:46 GMT
Thanks to both of you for the help. I start controlling the moving objects with the mask tools wink

One more question please!
When creating panorama with 3 or 4 or more photos, in the TIFF file I see some noticeable difference in the sky shade between images. It is especially when I use a mask and some parts of the sky are cut.
How can I control the sky?

The panorama below is created out of 4 photographs:

[URL=s71.photobucket.com/user/panygoff/media/panoramas...][IMG]
[/IMG][/URL]
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 14:18 GMT
It's best if you avoid colour/brightness differences in the images by shooting in full manual mode. No auto settings at all: fixed exposure time, fixed aperture, fixed white balance (not auto), fixed focus setting. If shooting RAW, also take care to avoid auto settings there too. Beware of selecting white balance as "as shot", in case the camera may have been on auto.

Otherwise, in PTGui Pro you can use the Automatic colour and exposure adjustment option on the Exposure/HDR tab. Yet again, you can tweak the Exposure Offset parameter of individual images on the Image Parameters tab to match the images better before blending. When you do this, select overlay mode from the blending options on the toolbar of the Panorama Editor window. This gives sharp boundaries between the images that reveal differences most effectively.

You may find that you get a better blend of the sky using PTGui's blender but a better blend of the land based features using Smartblend. If so, do two stitches and merge the best of each into the final panorama in Photoshop using layer masks.

John
alert moderator