Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 20
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Octavias

Problems with Samyang 8mm f/3.5
Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 16:29 GMT
Good day all,

In the past few months I have been punishing myself to perfect my shooting technique and stitching process. I have made successful attempts in finding the NO PARALAX POINT for my lens which is the (Samyang 8 mm f3.5 fisheye CS lens) and the guide i fillow is this one:michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20repor...

But i am still not getting the PERFECT stitch. My problem is I don't' understand if I still need t work on the actually pupil entrance or is there a problem somewhere else. SO i have been working more on it and moving it back and forward and doing tests.

In the result i found out that my zenith causes problems now. Let me explain.

I shoot 6 shots at 60 degrees each and right after i point my camera up and shoot a zenith, then down and do 2 nadir shots and one handheld/ or tripod shot of the area.

The 6 shots, when stitched are PERFECT. but as soon as I add the Zenith or the Nadir, i get aberrations and Paralax.

Please advise what I should be doing since I think I am going in circles.

Thank you so much for all you advise in advance.

Also you can contact me directly at

maxb@acmbphotography.com

-Max
alert moderator
John Houghton

Re: Problems with Samyang 8mm f/3.5
Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 17:10 GMT
Max, It's difficult to diagnose the cause of your problems without some hard evidence to look at. Can you make available a set of images for download (half size jpegs would do). You could use a free file sharing site such as www.ge.tt or dropbox if necessary.

John
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 17:14 GMT
Yes sir,

I will upload some images as soon as I get back home.
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 4:53 GMT
Hey John,

Thanks again for taking a look.

I have attached a link where you can find half sized pano shots i took. at 60 degrees one zenith and a stitched nadir that I have cropped a bit. Let me know if you need any more information from me to diagnose the problem. Also i have attached my first attempt at a stitch with lots of aberrations and paralax. I did NO control points work yet to it, i exported it right as PT QUI stitched it.

Thanks!

www.dropbox.com/home/Public/For%20John

-Max
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 7:14 GMT
Max, that doesn't appear to be a valid public shared link. It brings up a Dropbox login screen. Nor is the link shared with me personally.

John
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 15:41 GMT
Hey John,

My apologizes, it was a long day haha.

www.dropbox.com/sh/ze1iwnzqywdul1x/5VThvXWaFV/For...

Try this one.

Thanks!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 16:14 GMT
Max,

I downloaded and stitched your images with no real problem.
The NPP setting is good enough. I would suggest you are falling over in PTGui.

You image set was out of order and the naming convention is horrendous so I didn't upload the .pts file I just created.

Anyway, seeing John was helping you he will most likely supply his .pts. But I think you'll find John comes up with a similar result. Seeing your own .pts file would have helped me explain where you have things wrong.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 16:20 GMT
Smooth! ( awesome nick btw hahha)

Thanks so much for taking time out to help me. This is great news indeed since i shoot that entire shot(7 panos) with that NPP setup! So I guess i have to work more in PTGui huh. Yea the naming was bad indeed. So dud you work more on control points of the Zenith and Nadir? or what actions did you to in order to get a good stitch?

Yea I am patiently waiting for Johns advice as well he and his tutorials have helped me before so much!

-Max
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 16:21 GMT
Also Smooth,

Can you please upload your stitch that you came up with? I would like to inspect it! smile

Thanks!
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 18:10 GMT
Max, The horizontal row of images plus zenith stitched fine but I had problems with the nadir. I think there is something not quite right about that image, and on checking the Source Images tab, I saw that it was a different size to the others. I tried to deal with this by assigning individual parameters to the nadir and then got a decent stitch:

ge.tt/23qeWoj/v/0?c

The project file is at:

ge.tt/9JlwYoj/v/0?c

I imagine that the nadir would stitch well if all the original size images were loaded into PTGui.

John
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 18:19 GMT
John,

Thanks so much! You are totally right with the NADIR problem. when i was marking the 3 images of the nadir i re-sized it a little bit, because when i stretch the images to fit together, i get aberration on the sides. Is there a better way to shoot the nadirs maybe that I am not doing?

P.S. I will check the PTgui file when i get home.

Thanks

- Max
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 18:30 GMT

Octavias said:

Also Smooth,

Can you please upload your stitch that you came up with? I would like to inspect it! smile

Thanks!

OK, here it is ge.tt/8XB7doj/v/0?c
You will see that I have changed the Lens Type to Fullframe Fisheye which is different to John.

Can't say I had an issue with the nadir.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 18:47 GMT

Octavias said:

when i was marking the 3 images of the nadir i re-sized it a little bit, because when i stretch the images to fit together, i get aberration on the sides. Is there a better way to shoot the nadirs maybe that I am not doing?

Max, You should stitch all the images together as they came out of the camera (or from the RAW conversion program preferably). Don't try to merge the three nadir images in Photoshop. PTGui will do this much better.

John
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 18:53 GMT

Smooth said:

You will see that I have changed the Lens Type to Fullframe Fisheye which is different to John.

I didn't intend to specify the lens type as circular. I thought I had selected fullframe but clearly didn't! It doesn't make any difference to the end result, fortunately.

John
alert moderator
Octavias

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 19:25 GMT
Nice!

ok sweet, i am gonna try to do this. Also, are you putting what i am for lens info?

8mm and crop frame 1.5?

And just import all 9 images into PTqui and mask the 3 right?
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 20
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last