Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: Facebook Advice

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
tallmanirl

Facebook Advice
Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 12:44 GMT
My website is nearly ready to launch now. I'm thinking of Facebook too. Do you guys have any advice on having your photos on FB, eg the copyright?

Also, I watermark my images but none of the stuff I've seen on FB has them. Any guides available?
alert moderator
DennisS

Re: Facebook Advice
Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 13:29 GMT
I believe the user agreement when you sign up for Facebook states that basically all photos uploaded become the property of Facebook and they can use them however they want to, or words similar to that.

The reason you do not see watermarks is that nobody watermarks their images.

If you want protect your images, do not upload them to Facebook.
alert moderator
tallmanirl

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 19:45 GMT
Ok,
Thanks Dennis! It's just that an increasing no of pro photographers seem to be doing it. I'm wondering why if they have to sacrifice copyright? Do they have some photos they are willing to "sacrifice" in order to bring business to their other sites, or how does it work?
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 8:26 GMT
Watermarks can be removed easily...Putting your photos in low resolution may help...
Burak
alert moderator
tallmanirl

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 17:28 GMT
Thanks Burak!
I do both! For the pro photos, I notice there is no download option. I only checked this to see if it could be done. This is in marked contrast to images like jokes or friend's photos. How is this arranged?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 20:54 GMT
If you put a water mark in the corner, it can be easily removed. You can put a very faint big and bold watermark diagonally across the middle of the image. That cannot be easily edited out.

"I notice there is no download option"

Put your mouse directly on the image, right click (when using a PC, not sure how to do it on a MAC), save picture as, save image to your hard drive. Works with just about any image posted anywhere on the internet.
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 14:44 GMT
On sites such as Flickr you can request that right click download be inhibited. Inhibiting right click download is usually a javascript function, and, as such, can itself be disabled. When right click is disabled, a screen capture will still capture the image, although at a resolution that makes it not particularly useful.

To see if you images have been stolen, use Google Image or Tineye, although in my testing Google Image has a much higher hit rate than Tineye.
alert moderator
Carly

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 at 20:28 GMT
Hi there, it is best to post a link from Facebook, in the text field, to your other websites, it leaves a small picture of the website front page and its details. We removed important photographs and use this method, works well.
alert moderator