Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: Using smartphone as bubble level and rotator.

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 16-24 of 24
first prev prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
mediavets

Re: Using smartphone as bubble level and rotator.
Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 19:21 GMT

edispics said:

For USB tethered - the best I have found is camerarc.com Check the price, download the trial, try it out, I had to pick my jaw off the floor.

Why do you prefer Camerarc to ControlMyNikon?

They are the same price.

Andrew
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 19:59 GMT
I was not aware of it before. I just downloaded it. My first impression is that camerarc makes a much broader range of controls available in a much easier to use interface. But that's just my initial reaction. I will look at it some more. ControlMyNikon works with my camera, but it will take some time to compare feature by feature against camerarc, which also functions properly. If you are using controlmynikon, download the camerarc trial and see what you think.
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 20:28 GMT
Strange thing is that camerarc lists the D600 as a supported camera while congtrolmynikon does not. I do not have a D600 right now to test this. Anyone else run controlmynikon with a D600?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 21:36 GMT
Got my CamRanger for Christmas. Within 30 minutes (had to put some charge into the battery) I was controlling my Nikon D800 (on a tripod across the room) using my iPod Touch.

Best money my wife and children have spent on me for a Christmas present - if you do not count the PS3.

Thanks Judy for bringing this great device to our attention.
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 22:13 GMT
Slick! You must have been a very very good boy last year.
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 22:19 GMT
Just curious - what is the refresh rate through CamRanger in LiveView?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 23:01 GMT

edispics said:

Just curious - what is the refresh rate through CamRanger in LiveView?

No worse than a cheap point-n-shoot. I would not rely on the live veiw mode for that finish line shot at the end of the 100m sprint at the Olympics. Remember that the signal is being transmitted wireless to your device after the camera has processed it for Live View display.

Now if they could just get their software to run on a PC or MAC, this would replace Nikon's very EXPENSIVE wireless transmitter. $200 to see your pictures on your computer screen as the shoot is taking place? With the money saved you could buy another lens.
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 23:08 GMT
updated: 10 Jan 2013 at 23:10 GMT
My brother and I have been working recently with the smartphone apps for the GoPro Heros and the Sony AS-15s. The GoPro app is a running joke with respect to lagginess. The Sony is much better but still lags. So I was wondering how Camranger fared. Then again, my $60 solution ($30 for the software and $30 for the cable and adapters) works perfectly with no lag and full control - as long as running the wires does not represent a problem. And I too saved $200 over the cost of Nikon's software here in Canada!
When you have a chance, could you let us know what the true range (unobstructed and obstructed) of CamRanger is? That would be quite useful.
alert moderator
edispics

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:50 GMT
Interesting approach with CamRanger. Works with those cameras that have some code to interpret camera control instructions coming off the USB port. CamRanger seems to be using the TP-Link TL-MR11U ($38 on eBay) as its battery powered wireless router. Code on the iDevice talks to the camera through the TL-MR11U connected to the camera's USB port as per the camera's requirements.

If someone just wants to primarily use live preview to wirelessly view the scene and trigger the shutter, the Nikon WU-1b, which works for both the D600 and D800 and others might be a cheaper option at around $70. Works with iDevices and Android.
alert moderator
messages 16-24 of 24
first prev prev 1 2 next next last