Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: Shooting Festival Events

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Panotracks

Shooting Festival Events
Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 15:12 GMT
Thanks to all who posted on my previous threads, I have some great tips for shooting with a monopod. A good opportunity coming up is to try these techniques at the India Festival of Colors and Dance this weekend. There'll be a lot of mingling people, so it looks like shooting fast is the order of the day. Can anyone give me a few pointers on how best to go about shooting this project? (Nikon D800, Sigma 8 mm fisheye, Nodal Ninja R1.) Right now, I'm shooting N and 4x (90°) at 12.5º, which is working great so far).

Thanks!
alert moderator
DennisS

Re: Shooting Festival Events
Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 16:20 GMT
www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/Crowd_Demo/CrowdDemo.h...

I take several pictures at each position, watching the edges of where the "seam" will be. The idea is to have enough material to assemble a "floating body part" free panorama.

Since you will be using a monopod, speed may not be the best. You need to concentrate on holding the monopod as vertical as you can. The further off of vertical you are, the more difficult the stitch will be.

Practice, practice and practice some more.
alert moderator
Panotracks

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 at 1:42 GMT
Thanks, Dennis! Been practicing a lot the last few days and am starting to see it all "come together". Got a long way to go to meet these standards I set for myself, but I definitely appreciate your monopod tips-they really make a difference.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 at 2:01 GMT
One benefit that is often times overlooked is how shooting a monopod helps train your body to hold the camera in the same place out in space when you can only do a hand held panorama. The Louvre in Paris does not allow any sort of camera support, but they do allow all the picture taking you want. www.dlsphoto.net/Europe2009/Paris/Louvre/Gallery/...
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 21:52 GMT

DennisS said:

One benefit that is often times overlooked is how shooting a monopod helps train your body to hold the camera in the same place out in space when you can only do a hand held panorama. The Louvre in Paris does not allow any sort of camera support, but they do allow all the picture taking you want. www.dlsphoto.net/Europe2009/Paris/Louvre/Gallery/...

Dennis you've made this without any camera support?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 2:33 GMT
All of the images inside the Louvre (except for the one in the lobby under the glass pyramid) are hand held. I have several others that will not stitch due to parallax errors. If you "pixel peep" this pano you will find a couple stitching errors. It took long enought just to get the pano to this stage that I decided not to put in yet more work to correct the couple of very minor issues.
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 22:38 GMT
Thumbs up smile
alert moderator