Thread: stitching and NNP problems with d5000 + samyang 8mm + nn3

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
dex2009

stitching and NNP problems with d5000 + samyang 8mm + nn3
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 12:31 GMT
Hi all,
I have this equipment: d5000 + samyang 8mm + nn3 mkII. I have some troubles in getting a perfect stitch. I tried both 4 shoots at 90° and 6 at 60°, with zenith and nadir. Using ptgui and 9mm/fullframe setting the panorama is good but there is always a slight misalignment on some part of the image. I tried different settings for nn3: 90mm as indicated by entrance pupil database (40+50), 92mm and 94mm.
The last one is what I got from measuring the parallax error with the tape on window technique.
Does anyone of you have the same equipment and mind sharing your settings and workflow, so I can try to fix my mistakes? Also, which technique are you using for the nadir shooting and patch? I am getting a bit of problems there too, I tried handheld, or moving the tripod sideways or the leg over tripod technique, with mixed results.

Thank in advance wink

d.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Re: stitching and NNP problems with d5000 + samyang 8mm + nn3
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 13:46 GMT
When I use the Nikon D5000 + Samyang 8mm + NN3 MkII, I use 94mm on the upper rail. I get best results when I shoot 6 around at –10˚, two up at +45˚ opposite each other. If the direct sun is in the image, I shoot extra shots at small angles from the sun to patch the inevitable flares. I shoot one or two down, hand-held to patch nadir and tripod shadow.

For shooting the nadir, in the outdoors in good light, I do it handheld. I lock the pano bracket and hold the whole tripod and rig horizontally over the nadir spot. For indoors or low light, I use my Nodal Ninja nadir adapter. I leave the nadir adapter on the bracket at all times, because it gives a bit more height to the vertical column.

What do you consider a ‘perfect stitch’? I stitch with Autopano Giga and consider an RMS under 3 to be very good. I remove control points on anything that moves, including clouds, water and close tree branches in the wind.

Because I’m usually shooting outdoors on rough terrain, and my tripod plus tripod-shadow areas are quite large (compared to shooting with a monopod), I prefer to manually patch using the patch tool in Pano2VR. I defish my hand-held nadir images and use them to edit the tripod area.

Are you using a wireless remote? It will enhance sharpness and keep you and your shadow out of the scene.

Judy Arndt
www.JudyArndt.ca/
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 17:12 GMT
It may be that your PTGui processing is responsible for the less than perfect stitch. If you care to upload a set of jpeg images somewhere (half size images would be ok), then we would have a better chance of identifying the cause of your problems. (You can up load them to the free file sharing site www.ge.tt/ and post a download link here, if necessary).

John
alert moderator
dex2009

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 16:30 GMT
Hi all,
sorry I was away for some time so I just read the replies. Thank you judy for sharing your settings, I will make use of that for sure. I will post an example as soon as I have some time, I am in a hurry now, just wanted to do a quick reply to thank you.
d.
alert moderator