Search the forums:
messages 16-21 of 21
first prev prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
John Houghton

Re: LPP settings 5D Mark2/Canon 8-15 mm/NN5
Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 15:30 GMT

Smooth said said:

Sorry John, but I have to disagree. By limiting the crop circle from it's maximum you are in effect limiting the spread of automatic control points.

OK that's true, of course. And one doesn't want to throw away pixels unnecessarily. In this particular case, the automatic control point generator has a hard time finding any matching features near the top and bottom of the images, and none at all between two of the images. So in this case, the setting of the crop circle isn't particularly important, though obviously it needs to be set reasonably.

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 15:46 GMT
Yes, the images aren't particularly sharp (especially towards the edges). I'd say because the images are shot at f/5.6 and the hyperfocal length hasn't be found. Although some improvement may be had through better processing of the RAW images (if they started out that way).

That said, PTGui placed control points pretty well for me. Albeit I had to "tell it" to place some where I thought they were lacking.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 20:44 GMT
John, Dorin, Smooth, thank you all very much...I've learned again a lot from you...Smooth when I click on your link I don't see a PTGUI project file but just a text with rows of numbers, coordinates etc. - I copied it in a wordpad document below

ge.tt/8urzqsM/v/0?c

I'll keep on testing the 103 mm with slightly different lower rail settings; the angle is so wide, one cannot be sure even when one has the feeling the center autofocus point of the camera is in alignment with the axis of the tripod/panohead...

Burak
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 4:18 GMT

burake said:

Smooth when I click on your link I don't see a PTGUI project file but just a text with rows of numbers, coordinates etc. - I copied it in a wordpad document below
You have two options:

1. Right click save file as
2. Copy the text to word document and save with the file extension .pts

A .pts file is the "instructions" for PTGui. All you have to do is put the .pts file in the same folder/directory as the source images and you can open the project as I set it out.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 at 17:38 GMT
Smooth, thank you very much indeed...
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 at 17:16 GMT
LRS 53 mm seems to give the best results...By this setting the central autofocus point is positioned exactly over the lower rotator knob with the NN5 marking...But sometimes 54 mm (although the camera is slightly off-centered ) gives also very good/better results...I have decided for 53 mm...As always; test it also yourself...
Burak
alert moderator
messages 16-21 of 21
first prev prev 1 2 next next last