Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: My first few weeks doing Panos (problems)

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 31-45 of 52
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
DennisS

Re: My first few weeks doing Panos (problems)
Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 13:34 GMT
...but to be fair its only for my use.
I have yet to shoot a panorama for a client. All are for my own personal use. No reason not to push yourself to do better with each panorama you produce.

Shooting RAW will open up a world of options not possible with jpg.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 18:05 GMT

Birder said:

White Balance is simple but for CA I dont have a simple work around. I adjust one part and make it worse in another part.

For me, WB adjustment is the most mysterious and difficult part of post processing. There's so many variables. The light at the shoot. The camera WB adjustment. The monitor calibration. The ambient light in the room at the time that is falling on the monitor screen. And all the physiological factors like what color you were staring at recently or if you've been outside or in a dark room. There's so many variables that high on my list of things to hope I have money to buy is a hardware/software tool kit to calibrate my monitor and make a color profile for my camera.
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 7:17 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 7:29 GMT
Nothing back from Pano-max so i am trying shooting raw while i wait.

Could i ask what you guys use to open, make changes and convert your RAW files.

My pro mate uses something called "Capture One Pro". I downloaded the demo but its yet another program with a huge learning curve for an old fart like me. Why is it that programmers think 500 adjustment sliders is best when 5 will do.

Using Raw gives some great results but I dont like the idea of spending even more time in front of a computer screen. It seems to have doubled my time in post.

At the moment i have tried:

1) Open raw files in PTGui and stitch them and output as a pano tiff
2) Modify each raw image in Capture One, process as tiff and use these tiff's in PTGui to stitch into pano tiff
3) Take jpgs, stitch in PTGui, make pano,

I think 2) gives the best results but takes a long time. File sizes are huge and processing takes over the computer so I seem to be waiting a lot so while waiting I am drinking so much coffee that i could pee for England.
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 9:25 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 9:27 GMT
For those interested an email arrived from Pano-Maxx.

"the groove in the plate is normal. You can use the disc for minimum 500 panos.
As you are not fully satisfied i did send you a second plate as a gift.
"

If fact the plate lasts about 20 panos before it becomes sloppy so 500 plus is not possible. With the ball no longer holding position, the head can rotate a few degrees freely so bracketed sets of shots become a problem.

I have asked them if its a pano head for occasional hobby use or for regular use and i wait to see what they say.

I think its time to give up on it and buy a proper one angry .

All i will say is from my findings is do not buy a Pano-Maxx if you want to do several panos, its fine if you want to do a small few but after that its all downhill.
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 12:02 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 12:11 GMT
For what it worth,

I have the RD4 rotator from NodalNinja it was bundled with the excellent R1.
For around 10000+ panos I used it at the base on a short pole (up to 3m height) and sometimes at the base of the R1 doing bracketed, some very recently.

It is now and performs like new.

I bought a dedicated pole rotator just for convennience and I've made another 6000+ panos, this time with up to 6 m pole, with a 3 KG load on top (two cameras combo)
( I know it's against manufacturer's recommendation, which is for up to 2KG load, but I have to use 3KG)

I must say that the dedicated rotator perfoms very good too.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 16:35 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 16:40 GMT
I had an answer from Pano-Maxx:

"There is no 2 year warranty on a detent disc.
This is a using part, like your printers ink cartridge.
Actually we have about 10000 customers which are
very very satisfied by the quality of our pano-MAXX
compared to its very low price.
If you prefer the "Ferrari" of panoheads like Manfrotto stuff
you must pay them the 800,- Euro for their head but please donĀ“t buy
the panohead with the most affordable price on market and
compare quality to them. Thank you."

Basically I think he is saying that "You get what you pay for" and that I should not compare the Pano-Maxx with a proper Pano head, just as others have said on this forum.

So be warned dont waste your 159 Euros on a Pano-Maxx as the rotator is poorly designed and the 2 year warranty is worthless.
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 18:12 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 18:19 GMT
Birder,

I think all of us have bought a low priced screwdriver which fucked up in the moment we needed it.

Thx for your hint. The comment about "Ferrari of panoheads like Manfrotto Stuff" is interesting. Manfrotto is not state of arts in panoheads since years.

This tells it's own story: Do not Buy this stuff!!

My basic advice: Go for Nodal Ninja. Brilliant service, best quality for a recent price. I use it for years without any problems. I am not an affiliate, but a normal user for friends who like to get best equipment for our needs.

Check Andre Badders in UK NN Reseller. Good service, best informed in UK about latest products. You can trust him. One of the top european resellers with good service.

There are other products as well. I personally like my NN Products and I am proud to have changed in 2008 from My Manfrotte Panohead to NN products.

Thx for info, success for your future.
Feel free to ask,

Heinz
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 18:33 GMT
I checked out www.360tacticalvr.com which i understand is Anbrews site but it seems like they are now forwarding to www.ncteck.co.uk and Andrew no longer seems to be selling NN stuff on ebay.

I will find one from somewhere.

Thanks
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 19:06 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 19:07 GMT

Birder said:

I checked out www.360tacticalvr.com which i understand is Anbrews site but it seems like they are now forwarding to www.ncteck.co.uk and Andrew no longer seems to be selling NN stuff on ebay.

I understand he has closed his pano head business.

I will find one from somewhere.

The remaining UK retailer for Nodal Ninja is:

www.red-door.co.uk/

Andrew
alert moderator
DenisSS

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 19:59 GMT
updated: 6 Jun 2012 at 20:05 GMT

Birder said:

Basically I think he is saying that "You get what you pay for" and that I should not compare the Pano-Maxx with a proper Pano head, just as others have said on this forum.

So be warned dont waste your 159 Euros on a Pano-Maxx as the rotator is poorly designed and the 2 year warranty is worthless.

Heinz is right, I am pleased to say. The most important thing is that the panohead gives one years of use. This guy seems to be defending his make by saying exactly what you have inferred: there is no cheap way of doing this, no matter how many people are happy using the inferior product. It seems to me, and from your first attempts, that this is something of which you will want to do more and more: hobbyist or professional, the one thing we all have in common is that we are passionate about this form of photography. Thus, a Nodal Ninja or (as in my case a 360P head - I have to admit that I am beginning to miss some of the functionality of the NN3 blush) will last a lifetime, will stand being dropped, sat upon, used as an offensive weapon, etc.

If you decide to check out Manfrotto, I would suggest you buy a wheelbarrow to carry it around in. smile

But you have done your duty to any newcommer and warned quite clearly about the Pano-Maxx; under EU law, you have the right to a full refund within two years if there is a design/manufacturing fault. I think that in Germany, this has been extended to three, but you would need to check that out, were if applicable. I think that, if you paid postage as well, then you might be entitled to a refund of that, plus any costs incurred in returning the item. I would take the 159 Euros and invest it in something you will like using.

There is a reason why a Hillman Imp costs less than a Roller!

Good luck!

Jon

<!-- Edit -->

You can tell that this is a serious guy when he refers to "panoheads like Manfrotto stuff". It seems to me that he knows little of the market.
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 21:53 GMT
I like to give people every chance to sort problems. I think a better rotator is all it needs.

Its was purchased through Amazon so no problem to get a full refund.

I used to have a Hillman Imp and it was a great little car smile

Thanks
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 22:10 GMT
DennisS:

Been shooting RAW and love it, a bit slow but the results are just so much better.

Thanks
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 at 23:47 GMT
Birder,

Welcome to the dark, I mean RAW side.

For best results, keep everything at 100% detail until the absolute very last step. The last step usually converting your image to flash or html5 for publication.

If your RAW conversion software supports it, you can speed up your workflow by creating a template (or preset). I use the same amount of CA adjustment and such on each and every photo I take. I saved these settings as a template. I open my photos and apply the template. The only thing left to do is adjust up the shadows and recover highlights. If I pushed the ISO up, I will apply some noise reduction. It goes pretty quickly once you get your template setup the way you like it.

Dennis
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 at 7:07 GMT
what conversion software do you use?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 at 13:45 GMT
Adobe Camera Raw.
alert moderator
messages 31-45 of 52
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last