Forum: Tips & Tricks

Thread: My first few weeks doing Panos (problems)

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 16-30 of 52
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
DenisSS

Re: My first few weeks doing Panos (problems)
Posted: 1 Jun 2012 at 17:14 GMT
It seems to me that, if you are experiencing the same problems again, then you should take that up with the manufacturer. There is a reason why good panorama heads are expensive. The head is obviously inferior, so why blog about it on this forum?

Jon
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 at 17:58 GMT
updated: 1 Jun 2012 at 18:11 GMT
I have taken it up with the manufacture, but he is a one man band so it takes a while to get an answer.
As to posting here, I have explained that earlier. As far as i am concerned I write on this forum to give others information that may be of use to them.

From what other say and i have seen, the head is not inferior and only needs a slight change to make it 100% better.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 at 18:47 GMT
What is your time worth?

If you purchased a Nodal Ninja, you would not have needed to start this thread in the first place.

You do get what you pay for.
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 at 7:15 GMT
Good point DennisS, but i read loads of reviews and no one was having problems. To be fair I think they are either using it to one or 2 panos or are having problems but think its just standard wear.
I think its needs a better rotator like a RD16 just as Smooth said a while ago. Its only the rotator that causes the problems.

I think its fair to give the manufacturer one last chance
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 at 14:21 GMT
Maybe you could adapt the $129 RD-4 rotator to your pano head? You would never have to worry about the rotator again.

store.nodalninja.com/index.php/rotators-1/rd4.html
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 at 19:59 GMT
If Pano-maxx does not come up with a fix, that would be a good idea

Thanks DennisS
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 at 20:33 GMT
updated: 2 Jun 2012 at 20:43 GMT

Birder said:

If Pano-maxx does not come up with a fix, that would be a good idea

Thanks DennisS

Since Andy B. closed his 360TacticalVR bisuness recenty I don't know of any UK retailer of NN gear who offers the NN rotators on their own, Red Door VR doesn't list them on their web site.

The RD-4 would not really be suitable for shooting with an 18mm focal length on a cropped sensor body anyway as it offers only 2,3, 4 or 6-around click-stop options.

Andrew
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 at 22:06 GMT
updated: 2 Jun 2012 at 22:24 GMT
I use a 7D and 8mm Samyang using Smooth settings (5 shots) so the RD-4 would be OK for me.

I dont think i have any problems stitching, just a rough feeling rotator. I talked to my engineering mate about the problems and his 20 year old blonde office girl overheard. As she left the office she said "Maybe you should not let you balls rub on the aluminum", and we both burst out laughing, and she had no idea what was funny. When she came back in, she was bright red....

otus.co.uk/test/ is one of mine, taken in the local Bubble Car Museum.

Maybe you guys can comment.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 7:34 GMT
Your pano is fine from the stitching point of view, which was the main point of interest here of course, but I would like to see the yellow white balance corrected and also the slight chromatic aberration that's visible when zoomed in.

John
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 8:18 GMT
To be fair John, the whole place is very dark with quite poor lighting. I tried adjusting the white balance and it just looked false and as to the CA, well dont laugh but my old eyes could not see it.

Thanks for the comments
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 8:35 GMT
updated: 3 Jun 2012 at 8:49 GMT

Birder said:

and as to the CA, well dont laugh but my old eyes could not see it.

Old people shouldn't use their eyes for finding the CA, instead they will use the accumulated wisdom, mean know where to look smile

Look at the white rope down there, you'll see how it have red/green after zooming.
The WB can be easily corrected after, much better if you shot in RAW.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 9:53 GMT
DorinDXN, sorry but accumulated wisdom is in short supply. smile

White Balance is simple but for CA I dont have a simple work around. I adjust one part and make it worse in another part.

If anyone has a trick to share.....

Here is one with the WB changed

www.otus.co.uk/test/a

Thanks
alert moderator
DenisSS

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 11:17 GMT
That's a lot better, but you could still balance the whites a little more. It is fine where the florescent s are lighting the area, but you need to make another adjustment for the kitchen area and the offices beyond. It seems to me that these used tungsten bulbs instead.

Make another adjustment layer using the select colour (picking the yellow) and reduce the yellows / reds accordingly. If this has a knock on effect on the remainder of the picture, brush out the areas that you don't want to change and, if the picture begins to look a little flat, reduce the opacity of the area to bring a little more colour back.

I am not able to see any CA, but my eyes are old too!

Jon
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 12:13 GMT
updated: 3 Jun 2012 at 12:14 GMT

Birder said:

White Balance is simple but for CA I dont have a simple work around. I adjust one part and make it worse in another part.

You need to adjust CA on the camera images rather than the stitched panorama. This is best done in conversion from RAW to tiff, along with white balance also. I initially noticed the CA on the little white car over by the trellis. You can't miss it if you zoom right in.

John
alert moderator
Birder

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 at 12:21 GMT
Me, thinks I will go and take the images again but to be fair its only for my use.

Because I used to take event images at motorsport events when action was more important, and these were printed at the side of the track, i have never used Raw as processing was just a pain and not a lot of point for a 4 x 6 photo.

I will start using Raw for pano's and see how i go

Thanks
alert moderator
messages 16-30 of 52
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last