Thread: Automate Stitching

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Jbogle

Automate Stitching
Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 20:55 GMT
Hi all,

I may be in over my head at this point. I am relatively new to pano shooting but an experience timelapse photographer. I am attempting to stitch together multiple 2 image panoramics and have the results me IDENTICAL. My goal is to create a panoramic timelapse but I have been having all sorts of issues in the stitch.

A bit of background is that I have been using 2 Canon 7ds on an arm one with a Sigma 10-20 the other with a Canon 10-22. I have been using Hugin to stitch the images. I create my own control points when stitching the first 2 images then apply that template to the remaining stitches so they have the same yaw, pitch roll but run in to distortion in the middle of the image. What is the best way to prevent this?

Here is an example of the results.
vimeo.com/39297343

This is my camera set up.

twitter.com/#!/JogleTimeLapse/status/182242728141275136/photo/1
alert moderator
flixh

Re: Automate Stitching
Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 6:27 GMT
I think the differences you see are caused by the blender (enblend in this case). Enblend optimizes the seam position depending on image content and even the slight variations in brightness can cause different seam positions. Because the images don't overlay perfectly you then get visible glitches.

You might try adding --no-optimize to the enblend parameters to get more predictable seam line positions or maybe look into the --save-mask and --load-mask options.

Felix
alert moderator
John Houghton

Re: Automate Stitching
Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 8:02 GMT
I suggest you move the cameras as close together as possible in order to minimize parallax effects. Also reduce the extension of the centre column. Both of these will help to improve stability in windy conditions.

Using a template without control points depends for its success on the stability of the cameras. Have you checked that all the shots from each camera align with each other exactly? If not, then using the same y,p,r settings for each image will not work, and control points will be needed to fine tune the alignment.

Another consideration is how well the pairs of images align over the whole of the overlap area. If they align accurately, then variations in the seam line routing produced by the blender should not matter. Make sure you are evaluating different lens distortion correction parameters for the two different brands of lens being used, and that you have sufficient control points all over the overlap areas. If the maximum control point distance evaluated by the optimizer is less than 2 pixels, say, then excellent alignment should be produced.

John
alert moderator