Search the forums:
messages 61-75 of 95
first prev prev 3 4 5 6 7 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Re: Sony NEX + Sony Fisheye Converter: Cost $125.00 USD
Posted: 3 Sep 2011 at 8:18 GMT

geminihc said:

by any chances, can you possibly shoot a same pano scene with the nex + fisheye converter vs. nex + samyang 8mm ? i just wanted to see the IQ difference ... how much i'm potentially missing out lol. thanks!
Possibly in the near future.

In the meantime you can see my Sony NEX, Samyang Fisheye sample in this thread www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/9130/

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
John Willetts

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 16:19 GMT
One day my NEX-7 will appear - has anyone actually got one yet? (if so, tell me, does the level indicator work on both axis?).

Re the Fisheye Converter, has anyone tried it with a 60 degree bracket and, if it works, which one?

Happy New Year,

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 at 6:37 GMT
updated: 2 Jan 2012 at 6:58 GMT

John Willetts said:

One day my NEX-7 will appear - has anyone actually got one yet? (if so, tell me, does the level indicator work on both axis?).

Re the Fisheye Converter, has anyone tried it with a 60 degree bracket and, if it works, which one?

Happy New Year,

John
Hi John,

Happy New Year to you also.
You can in theory shoot 6 shots (probably as little as 4 shots) at 30 degree tilt and you will cover the zenith and have a minimal nadir hole. I tested with an image set at +5 tilt.

Edit: Hold that! I just tested with the wrong set of images. Not likely the Sony converter fisheye lens. I'll get back to you (sorry!).

I personally would do this using a lens ring with a Nodal Ninja R1 Ultimate panohead.

Let me know how you find the NEX 7, both good and bad. Reviews never cover things we Pano shooters find important.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 at 6:58 GMT
Hmm,

Looks more like 6 around at +15 tilt and 30 degree roll and you will be left with a fairly large nadir hole.

I'd have to put it into practice for confirmed results.

At least this time I was looking at the correct set of images. blush

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 at 9:06 GMT
+15 tilt up, 6 around, 20 degree roll seems the best.

Not a shooting sequence I would recommend though as the nadir hole is too large. It could possibly be covered in two nadir shots 180 degrees opposed.

Also the NN R1 Ultimate doesn't offer +15 degree option, maximum is +12.5 and that isn't quite enough.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 at 12:12 GMT

Smooth said:

+15 tilt up, 6 around, 20 degree roll seems the best.

Not a shooting sequence I would recommend though as the nadir hole is too large. It could possibly be covered in two nadir shots 180 degrees opposed.

Also the NN R1 Ultimate doesn't offer +15 degree option, maximum is +12.5 and that isn't quite enough.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au

....which is why I carp about a lens ring for the NN3/4/5.
alert moderator
John Willetts

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 at 10:40 GMT
Hi Smooth,

Thanks for your advice. Fortunately, the question is a bit academic now. A few minutes after the lens arrived yesterday, I heard that my bid for a panoramic project for the Cultural Olympics had been successful, therefore I shall be shooting sphericals for the next 8 months.

Regards,

John
alert moderator
Rodders

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 at 12:45 GMT
I know it is not much about what you talking about, but I have just purchsed this converter described as New on E bay. it came with only the case no box or instructions.

I just wondered if you could post here or send me acopy of the paperwork that came with the lens converter. It would be much appreciated.

kind regards
Rodders
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 at 17:18 GMT
I have one. There's no need for instructions. It just fits onto the front of the Sony NEX SEL 16F28 16mm wide angle lens. There it is and then you just use your camera in the normal way.

By the way, I've found that 6 around at -10 degrees with a 65 degree up zenith and a nadir patch works pretty good. The nadir patch is very small at that down angle.
alert moderator
David Hogg

Posted: 7 May 2012 at 19:20 GMT
Hi all smile

I've been reading this thread with interest, and a few weeks ago I purchased a NEX5N with the kit lens, the 16mm lens and the fisheye converter. I'm now in the process of building a fixed-tilt pano head that will allow me to take spherical panoramas.

My main question at this point is, does anyone know the position of the entrance pupil of the NEX5N/16mm/fisheye combination?

Many thanks and I will definitely post some photos of the pano head once it's completed!

Cheers smile

David
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 7 May 2012 at 20:56 GMT
updated: 7 May 2012 at 20:58 GMT
You're going to find that a fixed tilt pano head isn't going to be the most convenient way to do a spherical pano.

I've been shooting -15 degrees for the middle; -90 for the nadir and +70 for the zenith. There are other patterns of course.

You are also going to have trouble finding the NNP for your camera/lens. It's not just a distance that you can measure from the tripod hole. But it's about 5-10mm behind the lens shade on the fisheye. About where the name is on the fisheye picture.
alert moderator
David Hogg

Posted: 7 May 2012 at 21:12 GMT
updated: 7 May 2012 at 21:13 GMT
Hi Demon,

Thanks for your reply smile I've made two pano heads in the past, but they have all been adjustable in the tilt axis:

What I have noticed though, is that I always take the nadir shot hand-held (with the camera out-stretched and pointing into the area where the tripod was sitting when the panorama was taken). True the zenith shot was taken whilst the camera was fitted to the pano head, but for a little extra post-processing, I would rather have a much more compact pano-head that doesn't need to be adjustable in the tilt axis ... On the other hand I might be fooling myself and I might find it such a pain to use I never actually use it in ernest! wink

I have a simple CAD model of the camera / pano-head, so provided I know where it is in relation to the tripod hole, I should be able to locate it accurately in my design.

So if I measure it on the camera / lens itself (which I don't have to hand at the moment), it's approximately where the word 'fisheye' is on the converter?

Many thanks smile

David
alert moderator
David Hogg

Posted: 7 May 2012 at 22:57 GMT
I should have mentioned that the reason my previous panorama heads were all built with an adjustable tilt axis, is that the lenses I were using were not wide enough to allow a single row of photos to be taken to create the majority of the panorama.

The first head was designed for a compact camera with a wide-angle converter which required three rows of 12 images plus a nadir and a zenith. The second head was designed for a DSLR with a 10mm lens (16mm with the crop factor). This only required two rows of 8 images with a nadir and a zenith.

My current design is looking like this:

The lens 'cylinder' represents the whole length of the 16mm lens plus the fisheye, and the whole camera is tilted down 10 degrees (at the moment).

So as I wouldn't gain anything by being able to point the camera straight down (as I don't want the tripod in the nadir shot), and I can just hold the camera pointing upwards to fill in the hole in the zenith, that's why I was opting for the fixed-tilt design, as it makes the design a lot simpler.

By the way, all the panoramas on this page:

horizonimaging.net/panorama_portfolio.htm

and the first on the second page were taken with the first pano head. All the rest were taken with the second pano head.

Cheers! smile

David
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 8 May 2012 at 0:09 GMT
updated: 8 May 2012 at 0:36 GMT

David Hogg said:

Hi Demon,
So if I measure it on the camera / lens itself (which I don't have to hand at the moment), it's approximately where the word 'fisheye' is on the converter?
David

Yes, I marked it on my lens because I also use a monopod with an SPH2 and the scales are different.

The mark is just below the words, "FISHEYE CONVERTER" as if you where underlining them. It's an approximation but seems to be close enough for the things I shoot.

pancyl.com/InsideOne.html

Nice work on the pano heads. Think about a way to mount your rig at an angle so that the diagonal of the frame is vertical. You could get almost a whole sphere that way with a little tilt up. So you would only need the nadir patch.
alert moderator
David Hogg

Posted: 8 May 2012 at 10:23 GMT
updated: 8 May 2012 at 10:25 GMT
Hi Demon,

That's a great help, thanks very much!

I guess the only problem with using the diagonal method is the corners of the lens are probably the weakest points in terms of image quality? Would it work to use enough up-tilt to cover the zenith with the camera in normal portrait mode, and then to just take a slightly larger nadir shot to cover the hole?

Here is the build-thread for my wooden pano-heads by the way!

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698953

Thanks again for your help smile

David

PS. Nice pano in the ski shop!
alert moderator
messages 61-75 of 95
first prev prev 3 4 5 6 7 next next last