Search the forums:
messages 46-60 of 95
first prev prev 2 3 4 5 6 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Re: Sony NEX + Sony Fisheye Converter: Cost $125.00 USD
Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 17:08 GMT

DemonDuck said:

That's pretty much the way I feel about AEB. Outside, it's pretty useless for HDR for me. Ghosting is horrendous with even the slightest breeze.
Exactly! You are far better nailing the exposure by reading the histogram and then processing the RAW images with ACR or DxO etc. It is possible to pull +/- 2ev out of the RAW images +/- 3ev at a push.

DemonDuck said:

I don't do RAW because I can't afford ACR and the JPEG out of camera is much better than I can get from RAW using UFRaw or any other dcraw based converter.
The Sony NEX camera is supplied with RAW converting software "Image Data Converter SR" that is capable. Search Google for the download.

DemonDuck said:

Nick mentioned a mechanical shutter release adapter that would fit on the NN3/4/M. That should offer a way to go for a lot of the mid range (still don't know what to call'em) cameras.
I have multiple remotes for the Sony that do the job. The Gentled that Andrew pointed out works fine and the other I use is a infrared cheapy from ebay with a reflection target.

DemonDuck said:

But I'm curious about the built in Auto HDR. Do you use it much? Does it work for you?
I personally don't use it. It works OK though. But you need to deal with the Chromatic Aberration on the images and add some contrast to taste as the images are a little HDR flat across the colour tone. Considering it's all in camera HDR processing it does a pretty good job. At a minimum you would want a copy of PTLens to fix the CA somewhat.

Nobody who has purchased one of these for pano work has really complained that I heard about and I've seen some nice panorama results from it.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 17:24 GMT
Smooth,

I finally found this fisheye adapter cheap.

How did you set the focus? There is no focus scale and the focus ring has no hard stops.

Dennis
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 17:30 GMT
updated: 19 Jul 2011 at 17:33 GMT

DennisS said:

Smooth,

How much?

DennisS said:

How did you set the focus? There is no focus scale and the focus ring has no hard stops.
Use the Auto-Focus at the desired Hyperfocal distance and then turn the auto-focus off. Or use the manual focus on a target at your hyperfocal distance. The 10x Live view will help!

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 18:13 GMT
Smooth,

I found a guy who purchased the adapter new, used it twice, then sold it. I got it for $85. Not great, but not $125 either.

How do you enlarge live view? For the life of me I cannot find the menu/button. Maybe it is time to actualy RTFM.

The way I plan on doing the focus is to rotate the focus ring at least one turn counter clock wise. I will place a permanent mark on the ring and lens body. Then I will rotate the right clock wise until I get the focus setting I want. I then will place a second mark on the lens. This way, I rotate to the left 1 turn, line up the first mark, rotate to the right until the second marks line up. I don't need to know the scale, just the positioning of the focus ring.

Dennis
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 18:32 GMT

DennisS said:

Smooth,

I found a guy who purchased the adapter new, used it twice, then sold it. I got it for $85. Not great, but not $125 either.
Good deal!

DennisS said:

How do you enlarge live view? For the life of me I cannot find the menu/button. Maybe it is time to actualy RTFM.
Set-up>MFAssist=No Limit
I have mine set to the lower programmable button.
It is actually 7x and 14x not 10x as I previously stated.

DennisS said:

The way I plan on doing the focus is to rotate the focus ring at least one turn counter clock wise. I will place a permanent mark on the ring and lens body. Then I will rotate the right clock wise until I get the focus setting I want. I then will place a second mark on the lens. This way, I rotate to the left 1 turn, line up the first mark, rotate to the right until the second marks line up. I don't need to know the scale, just the positioning of the focus ring.
Let me know how you get on with this. I'm not sure that will be possible. Currently I have mine set up with the Vivitar fisheye and I'm too tried to play (4.32am).

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 18:55 GMT
Smooth,

Thanks for the live view zoom info. It works so nice.

Setting the focus ring is kind of like taking out backlash when machining parts. I know that the internal focus mechinism has to have a positive stop in both directions. Since the focus ring has no stops, the idea is to set the focus at one of the two limits. You then rotate the ring the opposite direction until you get the focus you want.

What focus distance have you found works best?

Dennis
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 8:34 GMT

DennisS said:

What focus distance have you found works best?
That will depend on the chosen f/stop required. I haven't done a whole lot with this combination as it is the middle of winter here in Australia and I have found myself bound to the office doing tutorials and building skins for others. Then I have University commitments next week for an Australia wide project. Looking forward to the little more warmth before I get back to making more tests with this combination.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 at 12:30 GMT

DennisS said:

Smooth,

Dennis
How are things progressing with your adapter lens Dennis? Shot some panos with it yet?

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 at 18:34 GMT
Smooth,

Nothing yet. I just have not had the time to play around with it. Since I already have the NEX-5/Sigma 8mm/monopod and D300/10.5mm/tripod all set up and working great, playing with a duplicate rig is kind of low on the priority list.

Dennis
alert moderator
Blocky Jp

Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 5:23 GMT
updated: 15 Aug 2011 at 5:28 GMT
I see this one found it nice job!
www.omnipix.net/temp/nex/converter/

I would like to know few things.....

*Which tripode/panohead you use?

*How did you add the Directive buttons?

*Feedback of sony NEX for Spherical panorama making against other DSLRs because I am planning to buy NEX-5 for it smile ....
alert moderator
geminihc

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 5:28 GMT
hello,

i was wondering if anyone tried the UWA converter instead of the fisheye one? i heard that while you would have to take more shots, the result is much sharper
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:27 GMT

Blocky Jp said:

I would like to know few things.....

*Which tripode/panohead you use?

Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini

with NN3MKII with RD3L Panohead combination.

Blocky Jp said:

*How did you add the Directive buttons?

Pano2VR and Photoshop

Blocky Jp said:

*Feedback of sony NEX for Spherical panorama making against other DSLRs because I am planning to buy NEX-5 for it smile ....
Great little camera, well worth the money and very capable.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:30 GMT

geminihc said:

hello,

i was wondering if anyone tried the UWA converter instead of the fisheye one? i heard that while you would have to take more shots, the result is much sharper
No I haven't, as I don't own the converter lens. You would expect sharper results and yes you will be shooting more images to cover the sphere. Maybe you should take the plunge and show us your results?

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Blocky Jp

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 18:09 GMT
Thank You!

Very much That question was all about my NEW Panorama Making Kit! cool
alert moderator
geminihc

Posted: 3 Sep 2011 at 6:17 GMT
hi smooth, thanks again for posting these panos with the fisheye converter, i'm heavily thinking of getting the NEX and the fisheye converter instead of a samyang 8mm e-mount. mainly because i am only doing this casually and want to pack light, AND because i want to use the non-fisheye rectilinear ultra wide converter too.

by any chances, can you possibly shoot a same pano scene with the nex + fisheye converter vs. nex + samyang 8mm ? i just wanted to see the IQ difference ... how much i'm potentially missing out lol. thanks!
alert moderator
messages 46-60 of 95
first prev prev 2 3 4 5 6 next next last