Search the forums:
messages 31-45 of 95
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 5 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Re: Sony NEX + Sony Fisheye Converter: Cost $125.00 USD
Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:42 GMT
Not sure on your workflow.

But be sure when optimizing in PTGui that you have selected the first 6 options that include FOV, A, B, C, HS (D), VS (E).

The shift values are important.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 18:42 GMT
My Sony NEX 5 with Lens Ring fitted on Nodal Ninja R1 Ultimate.

Fisheye Converter can be removed

Camera Body can be removed

NPP position is 30.75mm at -10 degrees or 18.5 degrees at 0 degrees.

Here I have proven it can be done successfully.
I used a Nikkor 10.5mm NN Lens Ring with a tiny modification. You need to slice a sliver off the compression point of the plastic insert (about 3mm) where it wraps at the 360 join. You then insert the plastic insert on backwards to that of the Nikkor 10.5mm so that the plastic lip is at the rear of the lens. Add two to three wraps of black insulation/electric tape to add a little bulk and then add the lens ring from the rear and tension.

Should Nick (Fanotec) put this into production a purpose plastic insert that is a little thicker and a little shorter on the 360 wrap is all that is needed for the insert. A 4cm foot plate would be better than the 3cm version. This is because you will slightly run over the 30mm mark at -10 degree to maintain the correct NPP and -12.5 would be even more. Nothing is a big deal here. Even if Nick doesn't bother, the little mods I'm using any fool could put into place using the Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye Lens Ring.

It is solid as a rock, and presents just as professional.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 20:10 GMT
Excellent information and photos, Smooth.

Thanks so much for doing this.

Judy
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 20:26 GMT
Your welcome Judy,

I must say though, the limitation on shooting the Zenith off the NPP is not ideal. Unless you have a flat surface to assign control points using PTGui (VPC) View Point Correction.

I ran some tests and I was able to get my stitches quite good. But for the inexperienced it wouldn't be ideal. APP/APG dealt with it in an easier fashion using "free layout" option and Anti Ghost as the blender.

Of course you could always shoot -12.5 degrees and +12.5 degrees and just about complete the sphere, leaving minimal holes at the nadir and zenith. You would need to reverse the known NPP rail settings when shooting the upper and lower shots.

Anyway the question was posed and this is what I came up with after mucking about. Happy if it helps somebody thinking along similar lines.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 17:48 GMT
Get advise from Sony Australia

www.sony.com.au/support/faq/379655

ROFL laugh

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 12:34 GMT
Sony announces NEX C3 as the replacement for the NEX 3
www.dpreview.com/news/1106/11060818sonynexc3previ...
Lets assume the C5 will be announced soon enough.

What does this mean for the much mooted NEX 7?

Also,

New Firmware announced for the NEX 3 and NEX 5
www.dpreview.com/news/1106/11060814sonyfirmware.a...
Due for download on the 20th June.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 16:23 GMT

Smooth said:

My Sony NEX 5 with Lens Ring fitted on Nodal Ninja R1 Ultimate.

Hi Smooth,

Thanks for sharing. I have collected a Nex5 with fisheye converter. I will soon make a ring for it. Your info will make my job easier.
Here is another compact high image quality setup.

The metal ring is a completely new one custom made to fit the compact size of panasonic 8mm fisheye for micro 4/3.

Nick
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 18:00 GMT
Hi Nick,

That is interesting. Always good to see the lens rings available expand.

I would think though the 4/3 set up would require multiple rows to cover the full sphere and would mean you would have to adjust the NPP for each row.

Did you have a panorama image set to share shot with this combination?

I'm waiting on the Samyang 4/3 manual fisheye, so I can shave it and use it on the APS-C sensor of the Sony NEX.
Possibly could do the same with the 4/3 Lumix 8mm Fisheye, but she ain't cheap glass to go cutting up on a "test".

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 18:28 GMT

Smooth said:

Hi Nick,

That is interesting. Always good to see the lens rings available expand.

I would think though the 4/3 set up would require multiple rows to cover the full sphere and would mean you would have to adjust the NPP for each row.

Did you have a panorama image set to share shot with this combination?

I'm waiting on the Samyang 4/3 manual fisheye, so I can shave it and use it on the APS-C sensor of the Sony NEX.
Possibly could do the same with the 4/3 Lumix 8mm Fisheye, but she ain't cheap glass to go cutting up on a "test".

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au

Hi Smooth,

I have not got the time to test the combo yet. I will do it ASAP to sort out the doubt.
Samyang Optics has shown a prototype 7.5mm F3.5 fisheye lens for the Micro Four Thirds system which is more interesting than the 4/3 version.
www.dpreview.com/news/1103/11030805samyang7p5prot...

Nick
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 18:34 GMT

Nick Fan said:

Hi Smooth,

I have not got the time to test the combo yet. I will do it ASAP to sort out the doubt.
Samyang Optics has shown a prototype 7.5mm F3.5 fisheye lens for the Micro Four Thirds system which is more interesting than the 4/3 version.
www.dpreview.com/news/1103/11030805samyang7p5prot...

Nick
Yes, I'm all over it. See my other Sony NEX thread.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 1:26 GMT
Smooth,

DPReview says that there is limited bracketing on your Sony. Do you find Sony's bracketing limiting or is it not necessary to the way you shoot?

I'm curious because the NEX-XX seems like a nice small, good quality camera.
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:06 GMT
updated: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:07 GMT

DemonDuck said:

Smooth,

DPReview says that there is limited bracketing on your Sony. Do you find Sony's bracketing limiting or is it not necessary to the way you shoot?

Limited?

If you want to call complete lack of bracketing limited thats what it is.
I have checked the manual as I had difficulty believing that you could produce a camera with no way of remote control and no bracketing, but unfortunately that is what this camera has.

And the just announced follow up Nex C3 has not either.

Hans
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:36 GMT

DemonDuck said:

Smooth,

There is no AEB in RAW mode. There is a "up-to" 6ev Auto (in camera) HDR mode for .jpg only.

If you are one to get hung up on RAW bracketing then this is not the camera for you. That said, who bothers with bracketing outside of static scenes? Those who do, well, we've all seen the ghosting and unnatural results!

I personally don't hanker for the AEB, but like all features it's nice to have. I await the NEX 7 or whatever they will call it.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:47 GMT

Hans Nyberg said:

Limited?

If you want to call complete lack of bracketing limited thats what it is.
It's not incapable of bracketing, you can of course manually change the shutter speed. It just doesn't offer "Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)" in RAW mode.

It is a limitation about the remote. It is what it is, first generation APS-C mirrorless. We expect improvements in forth coming releases above the entry level C3 model.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:06 GMT

Smooth said:

DemonDuck said:

Smooth,

There is no AEB in RAW mode. There is a "up-to" 6ev Auto (in camera) HDR mode for .jpg only.

If you are one to get hung up on RAW bracketing then this is not the camera for you. That said, who bothers with bracketing outside of static scenes? Those who do, well, we've all seen the ghosting and unnatural results!

I personally don't hanker for the AEB, but like all features it's nice to have. I await the NEX 7 or whatever they will call it.

That's pretty much the way I feel about AEB. Outside, it's pretty useless for HDR for me. Ghosting is horrendous with even the slightest breeze.

But I do use AEB to make sure I get a good exposure. When shooting in the woods where there are deep shadows and bright sky, it's hard to nail the "just right EV" in one go. So I usually AEB +/-2 EV and then pick the series with the EV that looks the best.

I don't do RAW because I can't afford ACR and the JPEG out of camera is much better than I can get from RAW using UFRaw or any other dcraw based converter.

So I maybe feel more needful of AEB than perhaps you do.

Nick mentioned a mechanical shutter release adapter that would fit on the NN3/4/M. That should offer a way to go for a lot of the mid range (still don't know what to call'em) cameras.

But I'm curious about the built in Auto HDR. Do you use it much? Does it work for you?
alert moderator
messages 31-45 of 95
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 5 next next last