back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 31-45 of 47
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
Hans Nyberg

Re: Sony NEX 5 - Samyang Fisheye - Panorama Sample
Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 20:43 GMT
Must say that if I wanted a compact setup I would choose the Panasonic with the very compact 180 gr panasonic 8mm.
If you have to shoot 5 or 6 around + zenith does not matter to me.

The panasonic is also superior when you look at the bracketing functions even if you have to shoot 7 images to get a +-2 EV.

Hans
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 23:01 GMT
If you have been following the original threads, my requirment is for 4 around, compactness and good image quality. Any rig that requires more than 4 around "does not matter to me". Lack of bracketing, manual mode only or "fiddly" does not matter.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 5:49 GMT
updated: 26 Mar 2011 at 5:53 GMT

Hans Nyberg said:

Must say that if I wanted a compact setup I would choose the Panasonic with the very compact 180 gr panasonic 8mm.
If you have to shoot 5 or 6 around + zenith does not matter to me.

The panasonic is also superior when you look at the bracketing functions even if you have to shoot 7 images to get a +-2 EV.

Hans
I also like the Panasonic solution and gave it great thought. I love my Panasonic LX-3 and I already showed panoramas made from it in this thread www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/7170/

The M4/3rd solution looks great. In this case though, we were considering the advantage or the much larger APS-C sensor and using lenses that we already possess for use with our usual full size DSLR's.

DennisS asked for a lightweight solution that would require only 4 rotation shots. See thread www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8968/ I suggested the Sony NEX and Sigma 4.5 and then the Sigma 8mm as a possible solution. Had I owned a Nikon mount Sigma 8mm then this thread would have been based on this combination. The point is, it's now known that the solution is viable and those who were considering it can now make a decision with a little more real life information.

Hans, I've never seen any offerings from you dealing with compact cameras. It shouldn't be a case off every thread somebody finding only the negatives and opposites, an all to common trait from the users of this forum. I myself find I get drawn into this. Monkey see, monkey do!

Also you can used the much loved Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye which is smaller and lighter than the Sigma 8mm or Samyang 8mm if your willing to take more shots.

Maybe soon I'll offer some panoramas from a 4/3rd solution?

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 6:53 GMT
Just for sport:
Sony NEX5 mated to the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye clamped to the panohead via an Agnos Ring-T

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Tim Eastman

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 2:27 GMT
Smooth:

Would you share your work flow with us? The pano is very sharp without being over sharpened.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 6:46 GMT

Tim Eastman said:

Smooth:

Would you share your work flow with us? The pano is very sharp without being over sharpened.
Well to a point. Find your Hyperfocal sharpness with the lens first of all. Shoot RAW, I process normally with Adobe Camera Raw and I find the Clarity feature useful. I then use Noise Ninja software to remove noise and add sharpening. Then add a little local contrast until it pleases my eye on my calibrated monitor.

Finally I mostly generate the panorama with Pano2VR using Blackman/Sinc as the interpolation setting.

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 7:10 GMT
Canon EF to Sony NEX E Mount with Aperture control.

This opens the door to use Canon EF type lenses on the Sony NEX "E" mount cameras. You ignor the inbuilt lens aperture blades in favour of the manual control aperture blades built into the adapter.

Previous to this system, you could only use the Canon lenses on the Sony NEX with the lens aperture wide open.

tinyurl.com/see-ebay

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
Pedro

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 7:28 GMT
Hello Smooth:

Thanks for posting these. I have couple of questions for you:

Is it possible to use the AutoHDR function of nex5 and stitch the resultant jpgs images seamlessly without sudden exposure changes?
The reason I asked is that I know the maximum bracketing goes only to -/+0.7 ev on the NEX and that maybe not enough for interiors with high contrast. On the other hand, the autohdr can be programmed to -6/+6 ev.

Will be possible to trigger the NEX shutter remotely with a cable? I said with a cable because the remote control and autoHDR are excluding options on the NEX I think. (you can only select one or the other)

Thanks in advance
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:03 GMT
G'day Pedro,

Pedro said:

Is it possible to use the AutoHDR function of nex5 and stitch the resultant jpgs images seamlessly without sudden exposure changes?
Whilst I haven't done a lot of testing on this because it is restricted to .jpg it appears to work OK so long as lighting conditions stay pretty much the same. Where is does start to change colour cast, PTGui blends this out quite nicely.

Pedro said:

The reason I asked is that I know the maximum bracketing goes only to -/+0.7 ev on the NEX and that maybe not enough for interiors with high contrast. On the other hand, the autohdr can be programmed to -6/+6 ev.
My tests were at -6/+6 and as you already know this is restricted to .jpg the AutoHDR is disabled if you have selected RAW format.

Pedro said:

Will be possible to trigger the NEX shutter remotely with a cable? I said with a cable because the remote control and autoHDR are excluding options on the NEX I think. (you can only select one or the other)
A cable release would be ideal (although I don't know of one) I thought there was a glimmer of hope for a couple of seconds based on the fact you could set the camera to remote mode and then enter the menu and turn AutoHDR on. But come to shooting and it failed to trigger.
So yes, a way to hit the shutter button manually is needed.

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
michael przewrocki

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 4:28 GMT
updated: 29 Mar 2011 at 4:29 GMT
No! one ebay-adapter-seller is providing a solution for stop-down eos-lenses. its a bit complicating using an eos-cam but doable. i will dig the info out if you dont find.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 6:07 GMT

Smooth said:

So yes, a way to hit the shutter button manually is needed.

Regards, Smooth cool

It's not pretty:
www.kapshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=240

Andrew
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 6:19 GMT

mediavets said:

It's not pretty:
Your right, it's not pretty and also not suitable for the Sony NEX as this camera doesn't have a traditional hotshot.

Regards, Smoooth cool
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 8:56 GMT

Smooth said:

mediavets said:

It's not pretty:
Your right, it's not pretty and also not suitable for the Sony NEX as this camera doesn't have a traditional hotshoe.

Regards, Smoooth cool

I think one could make a bracket that could connect to the tripod mount.
alert moderator
John Willetts

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 15:28 GMT
Thanks, Smooth, for all your patience and constructive advice. I am now awaiting delivery of the camera.

Before your postings, I had almost decided that this was the pocket camera for travel. Now, it looks as if, with only the need for one more pocket for the fisheye, I can finally ditch the backpack.

As I sometimes take very low level pans of wild flowers, the tilt screen will make composition less of a hit or miss exercise.

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 16:37 GMT

John Willetts said:

Thanks, Smooth, for all your patience and constructive advice. I am now awaiting delivery of the camera.
John, I look forward to seeing your results and your findings with this camera.

John Willetts said:

Before your postings, I had almost decided that this was the pocket camera for travel. Now, it looks as if, with only the need for one more pocket for the fisheye, I can finally ditch the backpack.
I think it is much more than just another pocket camera, but of course with the advantage of being one. I assume you will attach your Sunex Superfisheye?

John Willetts said:

As I sometimes take very low level pans of wild flowers, the tilt screen will make composition less of a hit or miss exercise.
Yes, most excellent for that (so long as the sun isn't hitting it). I can get down that low, it's the getting back up that seems to be the problem as I age!

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
messages 31-45 of 47
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last