Search the forums:
messages 16-30 of 47
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
Clay

Re: Sony NEX 5 - Samyang Fisheye - Panorama Sample
Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 18:28 GMT
Hans

Anyone know how PTgui calculates maximum output size without loss? This is what I've always used, but then... your panoramas are better than mine.

Regards,
Clay
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 18:29 GMT
I wonder what the stitching would be like if the camera was rotated to put the diagonal on the vertical?
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 18:39 GMT

Smooth said:

Then adding other control points on image pairs even lacking features is possible by manually placing them.

Do you mean that you place the first point in the left window, say, in a place devoid of features and then allow PTGui to place the matching point in the right window automatically? (I assume you cannot place the matching point truly manually where there is no feature). If so, what is the point of doing this?

John
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 18:39 GMT
Hi Smooth,

Your images stitched in Autopano Giga 2.5 give Global RMS of 2.88 and maximum pano size of 10584.

I’m seeing the same good spread of control points that I see with the Nikon D500/Samyang 8mm combo.

When cropped as tightly as Hans suggested, APG 2.5 found many fewer control points. I’ve never found it necessary to crop that tightly on images from this lens. There’s sharp detail with minimal distortion in the corners of the images.

Examining your images in Photoshop, I’m seeing a slight ‘smear’ or smart-blur effect that I don’t see in my D5000 images. This may be from JPEG compression. However, I’m wondering if the NEX automatically applies noise reduction and if this is disabled when shooting RAW.

Would you say the images from the NEX + Samyang hold as much detail as from an APS-C DSLR + Samyang?

Judy
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 19:11 GMT

Judy-A said:

Examining your images in Photoshop, I’m seeing a slight ‘smear’ or smart-blur effect that I don’t see in my D5000 images. This may be from JPEG compression. However, I’m wondering if the NEX automatically applies noise reduction and if this is disabled when shooting RAW.
The images are processed .jpgs. They are NOT direct from the camera. I didn't shoot .jpg only RAW.

Judy-A said:

Would you say the images from the NEX + Samyang hold as much detail as from an APS-C DSLR + Samyang?
I haven't owned it long enough or put the time in to make that call. It also very much would depend on the APS-C camera model. So far I have rushed the result to get it online so you all could make up your own minds on whether the camera was ideal for light weight travel etc. I suggested originally to DennisS in his thread about a viable option for lightweight vs image quality. Originally stating that I thought the Sony NEX and Sigma 8mm would be the answer to his query. I think I have provided enough information for that decision to be made. I'm sure there is still more to extract from this camera. Part time in the last 72 hours I have got to this point.

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 21:54 GMT
Smooth,

I apologize for piling question upon question while you’re spending all the money and doing all the hard work. I really do appreciate the testing you’ve done here.

Judy
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 22:14 GMT
I think thta's an apt comment from Judy. I also appreciate having a well taken set of images available for download.

John
alert moderator
bigwade

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 22:32 GMT

Smooth said:

You can back this up with some proof, real life example? What if you choose 20000x10000? The maximum is shown for a reason. Joost (PTGui) is no fool. There has to be an optimal maximum. I trust PTGui to give the appropriate answer.

Even at 10664x5332 the centre is stretched with this lens.
Compare the first Cubeface with your original image.
The 1890 sign is bigger in the cubeface
So PTGui maxoutput -20% isn't a bad idea for this lens.
It has to do with the projection of this lens.

Can you add a picture of the camera + lens ? wink
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:52 GMT
Hi Smooth,

besides all this discussion, THX for taking your time and money to look around the corner of "Normal Workflows and equipment".

Another great input of you in different forums.

Regards,
Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 16:31 GMT

bigwade said:

Can you add a picture of the camera + lens ? wink

Hows that?

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 16:38 GMT
How would this work with a Nikon G type lens? I want to use my Sigma 8mm F3.5 lens. How do you set the f stop?
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 16:59 GMT

DennisS said:

How would this work with a Nikon G type lens? I want to use my Sigma 8mm F3.5 lens. How do you set the f stop?
Where you read the "OPEN - LOCK" on the Fotodiox Nikon G adapter is the manual Aperture control. There is no number or lock scale positions but you can adjust the aperture the full spectrum. Comparing the meter reading on your Nikon camera at the same lighting source, ISO etc, you can take note of the shutter speed and histogram and replicate on the Sony. You will be so close it won't matter.

Really it is no different to using a Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye on a Canon camera body and plenty are doing this.

I have done some testing with my Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye and things look good! wink

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 17:03 GMT
Return thanks and appreciation to those who acknowledged the effort and contribution. It nice of you to say so.

Regards, Smooth cool
alert moderator
bigwade

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 20:53 GMT

Smooth said:

Hows that?

Regards, Smooth cool

GREAT ! SMOOTH, Nice pics smile
The weight is about 180-200gr less than a 550D+SY (incl. battery)
I don't think the size will be much better in the bag in practice because of the adapter.
And then the extra costs...
But hey, Thanks for sharing !
Great Job.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 21:07 GMT
The NEX 5, adapter and lens will fit nicely in the saddle bag under my seat. My D300 had no chance at all. It is not about the weight, but about the compactness. If I really wanted to do better at cycling, I would loose 40 lbs off my "spare tire".

Good job Smooth. As soon as I get my next allowence check, I will be placing an order.
alert moderator
messages 16-30 of 47
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 next next last