back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Jorgen Poulsen

Pricing help please
Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 16:25 GMT
updated: 9 Feb 2010 at 16:26 GMT
Guys,

could you please help me price this enquiry?

You can see the hotel and prices here.

www.francereshotel.com/tarifs-hotel-juan-les-pins...

I was thinking to charge €300 per panorama and €500 to complete this template cote-dazur-hotels.com/virtual_tour/hotel_helios_j...

What I mean by 'complete' is just to change the panoramas and thumbnails.

What do you think?

Jorgen
alert moderator
DenisSS

Re: Pricing help please
Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 16:41 GMT
updated: 2 Sep 2010 at 20:27 GMT
It certainly seems plush, Jørgen, and it also seems expensive (the hotel, that is).

I think your prices seem to reflect the amount of work you are going to have to put in . . . Perhaps, though, you might do better by pricing it higher than that, since you can always negotiate down, whereas it is impossible to negotiate up.

Have you thought about also offering presentation CDs as a little extra. Some hotels will often go for these, especially as little promotional gifts, handouts at courses, etc. With your logo in the bottom corner linking to your site, they could be very handy publicity for you as well as for the hotel.

I have just ordered 500 presentation CDs on behalf of a client: laquered with a colour design, booklet and jewel cases, the cost (using a short-order firm in the UK) has been just under 400 pounds. I expect to be able to quadruple that per item. All you have to do is make the presentation.

But as I have said elsewhere in these pages, I think we have a tendency to underestimate how much hotels are willing to pay for this sort of work, and that we are often too keen to sell ourselves short.

Good luck with it!

Jon
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 16:52 GMT
Jorgen
In the USA the price per image would be on the high end

How many scenes are they asking for?

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
DenisSS

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 17:20 GMT
updated: 2 Sep 2010 at 20:27 GMT
Doug,

I think we are having this conversation elsewhere. Jorgen is in France, I am in Norway, and so it goes on. On this side of the pond, prices are higher, as are income tax and pension contibutions (except the UK) and the general cost of services. It makes no sense to make a comparison with the US. I am shortly to shoot a town in Spain and a museum in Andorra. The prices quoted per image came out exactly the same as Jorgen's suggestions. No one blinked an eyelid when the quote was provided.

I don't know much about the US, so I am not going to slag it off, but one thing I have gleaned from reading this forum, as well as others, is that it seems very dog-eat-dog and that, even though hotels and the like can afford it, they never think they have a good deal unless they are getting the highest quality of work for the lowest amount of money. So the comparison doesn't really hold much water.

But that is just the impression I get, and is definately not intended to offend.

Jon
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 18:14 GMT
Jon
You were the only European who offered an opinion

That's whay I said the price would be high for the USA

Jorgen and I have traded a few e-mails over the past about his Cote d Azur website and he knows the pricing is lower in the USA especially outside the east and west coasts of the US

I also know he's worked very hard for each piece of business on that site and just wanted him to be cautious about his quote.

In the few cases were I was competing with another photographer for a job I never got a chance to "negociate" after I made proposal

I'd rather see him get the job at a lower price than not at all.

With more hotels having his virtual tours, he can leverage them for more work and higher prices

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
Jorgen Poulsen

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 19:53 GMT
Thanks Doug and Jon

As some of you know all my work is outsourced and it's not even close to being my main business.

Therefore I neither can nor will I price low just to get a piece of business.

I have to pay the photographer, the programmer and the introducer and the programmer is very very expensive wink

This might be an idea for all of you.

I have teamed up with a website for hotels. They sent out a promotional email to their 600 hotels and within the first hour I had 3 inquiries. I have found it much more effective to use distributors where I can take advantage of their existing relationship even though it might cost a small introducer's fee.

I prefer a few high margin deals instead of killing myself just to make a few dimes.

Of course the competition is almost non-existing here which obviously puts in a very different position to Doug's situation.

Anyway, I'll price the deal the way I suggested and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your comments so far.
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 at 20:52 GMT
Jorgen
I forgot that you outsourced most of your work

You don't have the cushion I and Jon have in pricing

If I'm slow, really want a paticular job or am getting multiple hotels from one source, I have more flexibility in pricing to make sure I get the job(s), if all other things are equal

Let us know what happens, the view off the balconies in their stills look great

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
Jorgen Poulsen

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 9:24 GMT
I have had three inquiries which I have priced between €200 and €300 per pano so we'll see what happens.

Jorgen
alert moderator
Custom_PabloC

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 21:14 GMT
Hello friendly:

For example, I am in Ecuador, that is a small country, I almost do not have competition, but even so I stay in a comfortable price, with which tried managed to penetrate in several areas, tourism, government, education, etc… and hardly beginning in real states.

The prices all the time are different... is in the tonw?, is out the city? is a ultra big client? is just a little restaurant? he need just 1, maybe need 30... or why not 300 panoramas..

The advantage is that I myself I make the programming, and in many of the cases the photography, which if I have is a team of designers to correct the photography. The bad thing is that the market is not very great here, thus in my plans are explore new ways as I am doing already it in new markets, using the same bases.

My price oscillates between the $300 (when need just one or two panos) and $70 (if they need 300 or more)… as I say to them the advantage is that here manpower is cheap, that in your countries.

But the common value for hotels that I bill is $2500 (base with of 10 panoramas), Extra panoramas $100 if are more, What my clients receive, a CD/DVD with a Virtual tour, one with an Auto sequencies (for presentations, show rooms, expositions... etc..) and the files to put on the web, (medium size).

Regards to all,

Very sorry for my english.. I need to do it better.
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 21:18 GMT
PabloC
How about a link to one of your hotel tours?

Thanx
Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
vn2009

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 22:06 GMT
www.360ecuador.com/

you have sold a number of hotel tours and your website says underconstruciton. i would like to see a hotel tour of yours also. i just sold a 12 spin tour of a retail outlet for $2500 myself.
alert moderator
Custom_PabloC

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 22:29 GMT
Hi Doug:

I can't for the moment give some links... as I say just have lest than a year doing this, but the more works that I done are for expositions (auto sequencies as videos) and goverment services (internal use)(airports, Electrical enterprices), or privade enterprices (sales, instructive pano videos), in a few months you can see all the works in my page 360ecuador.com, and just from Galapagos in 360galagos.com, I just start in hotel and real states, but if you give me a email... i'll send you little demos... From galapagos islands I have excelent works... with 5 cruises, and starting the next month I will do 5 more.

I just start the photo on 3 hotels, when the works will finish I'll give you the links too.

Regards,

Pablo C.
alert moderator