Forum: Q & A

Thread: HELP

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Newto3D

HELP
Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 23:06 GMT
Hi, Ive just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and I recently purchused a canon 1000D and a samyang fisheye lens. I bought the kit cause Im going to start shooting panos.

The tripod doesnt come with any camera pan/tilt head, only the screw at the top.

Do I mount (screw) the Nodal Ninja MK 3 directly onto this screw or do I need some sort of plate ball?¿

Thanks!

Ive followed a video on youtube from the nodal ninja website to setup the pano head and mount the camera so I think Ive done it right....does anybody know of any good instructions online?

Thanks!
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Re: HELP
Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 23:14 GMT
Newto3D
You can use a ball head to level the NN3 & Camera

Or just screw the NN3 to the tripod and use the legs to level the NN3 & Camera

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
Newto3D

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 23:45 GMT
updated: 14 Jan 2010 at 23:46 GMT
OK, but if I just screw in the NN3 to the tripod it doesnt lie right in the center of the tripod, this is because the screw on the tripod is big and I have to screw it into the hole on the NN3 thats fits, therefore it lies to one side....is this normal, ok?¿

Can you link to some ball heads that work with my tripod?

Another question, can some one point me to some help on the net about settings for ptgui pro and my canon 1000D and Samyang fisheye setup?
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 0:14 GMT
Newto3D
What "doesn't lie right in the center of the tripod?"

The round hub on the bottom of the NN3 has a 3/8" screw hole in the center that is to be screwed onto the 3/8" thread sticking up from the tripod.

Its not rocket science

Take a look at www.NodalNinja.com home page and you'll see a Falsh animation with a NN head on a tripod with a NN leveler between the tripod and NN head

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
Newto3D

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 0:27 GMT
Hi, I appreciate the fact that its not rocket science.
I dont have a leveler between my NN head and the tripod screw hole.

The screw on my tripod is big, it only fits in the third screw hole on the NN head (the biggest one)which is off set to one side (there are three screw holes on the round hub on the bottom of the NN3)This means that when I screw the round hub of the NN3 head it doesnt lie right in the center of the tripod.
My questions was, is this normal or Am I doing something wrong?

cheers.
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 0:49 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 0:50 GMT
Take the thread adapter out of the center hole and put it in the other large hole.

Then screw the center hole onto the tripod.

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
pau valiente

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 2:03 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 2:12 GMT
Hi Newto3D,
I have the same tripod and I'm very happy with it. I reccomend you to get the 486RC2 ballhead, maybe it will seem big for your setup but it will help a lot in some situations.
www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2304
And about PTGUI there's not much to touch if you have the head configured correctly. Just load the images, turn them as necessary, align them and check the result. If there's any seam, just look at the control points and add some more in the error zone ...
Good luck!!
pau
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 4:41 GMT
Don't use a ball head. Mount your NN3 directly onto the tripod. One less piece of equipment to mess with. No need to have your pano head completely level. Close is good enough. I have a Nodal Ninja leveler that has never been used. Adjust the tripod legs to get your rig close to level.

In PTGui, add vertical control points to level out your panorama. Piece of cake. No leveler needed.
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 5:33 GMT
updated: 15 Jan 2010 at 5:33 GMT

Newto3D said:

OK, but if I just screw in the NN3 to the tripod it doesnt lie right in the center of the tripod, this is because the screw on the tripod is big and I have to screw it into the hole on the NN3 thats fits, therefore it lies to one side....is this normal, ok?

There is a 1/4"-3/8" adapter screw installed on the center socket. Remove it and store it in the socket at the side.
Now you have a 3/8" socket at the center available for mounting NN on your tripod.

Nick
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 7:21 GMT
You might consider the Manfrotto 556B column, which makes levelling quick and very easy:

www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offo...

John
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 8:11 GMT

John Houghton said:

You might consider the Manfrotto 556B column, which makes levelling quick and very easy:

John

Or the Manfrotto 438 Compact Levelling Head - Ball Camera Leveler:
tiny.cc/YwWrd
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 8:30 GMT
If the panohead is exactly in the center of the tripod or not does not matter.

Leveling the head is best done with the legs of the tripod.
When you learnt it you find it very fast and easy.
As others have pointed out leveling is as done in PTGui but if you want to do automatic template stitching it is essential that you level the first image.

For the Samyang on a Canon APS the best is to take 5-6 around at -10 and a zenith at 60 degree. You can do it with 4 around but it will give a small overlap which probably will generate less controlpoints.

I do not have it myself and it is based on trials I done on images from others.

You should set the initial FOV at 9mm and fullframe. The Canon version will probably not have any EXIF to confuse PTGui as the Nikon has. On Nikon the Exif will tell Ptgui that it is 6mm FOV and that will confuse PTGui which might generate an unuseable panorama.

It is important that you use advanced optimizing with optimizing checked for FOV -a, b, d and e.

Hans
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 8:33 GMT

mediavets said:

John Houghton said:

John

Or the Manfrotto 438 Compact Levelling Head - Ball Camera Leveler:
tiny.cc/YwWrd

I think that one will fill a lot of the nadir. To get a clean round hole at the nadir just mount it on the centre column.

Hans
alert moderator
NYCreate

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 9:26 GMT
Newto3D

Does your tripod have a level built in? sometimes I have found ball head and other 'levelling' devices more hassle. I often just screw the NN3 straight to the plate on the centre column and level the tripod using the built in level. This also gives a more stable platform than extra heads etc.
Having the tripod absolutely level is not as much of an issue as a lot of people think, as long as it stays put when taking all your frames.

Regards.
alert moderator