Forum: Q & A

Thread: White Balance

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Tri3

White Balance
Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 12:04 GMT
What are you guys using to set your white balance? I have never played with the white balance settings and I figured it is about time I did.

What are people finding really works for them?

Warm Cards like these - www.vortexmedia.com/

Digital Calibration Targets - www.photovisionvideo.com/store/shop.mvc?Screen=CT...

Expodisc
www.expoimaging.net/product-overview.php?cat_id=1...

Plain Piece of White Paper
alert moderator
Paul Thomas

Re: White Balance
Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 12:59 GMT
Something I've recommended before on the forum is Lastolite's tri- white balance "card" which a local photographer introduced me to whilst I was on a course of his. It is flexible and wraps up small enough to put in your camera bag. Mine cost approx. £35 from Warehouse Express

www.lastolite.com/xpobalance.php

I have been using it in my workflow for 5 months now and shooting in RAW lets me adjust the required assignment photo's from a single reference picture that is taken at the start with the "card" in shot to achieve the same white balance.
alert moderator
iam360Texas

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 13:39 GMT
What you are looking for is a white balance reference card. It is essentially neutral gray. When you tell your camera "what is grey" your camera then will adjust all other colors of the spectrum. Your camera internally uses a near 18% neutral gray referance for color adjustments.

Ever seen images that are have a bluish or orange cast ? Thats because the camera internal white balance has not been manually adjusted for flourescent or incandescent light sources.

Issue is.. when taking imaging with mixed light sources like natural outdoor, incandescent, flourescent, or sodium light.. the camera has a hard time adjusting to that mix. So you have to place your white balance reference card down on the floor where it will reflect ALL light sources back to your camera sensor. At this point you place the card in the full view of the viewfinder and take a picture.. telling the camera.. THIS IS NEUTRAL and the camera will then use that reference istead of the internal guide.

We use a WhiBal card, studio version 3.5" x 6" [9x15cm] because when viewed using a fisheye at 5' it is VERY SMALL. Yes we take the first image as a reference image. Then remove the card, and retake the image. In photoshop camera raw converter we use the gray eyedropper to sample and adjust white balance for the other 4 or 5 images. WhiBal website has several useful instruction movies.

www.whibal.com
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 23:16 GMT
Tri3
After a while I got so I can see the dominate like source in a home. Usually the sun through the windows.

I just guess, take the first shot, look at it and if the white balance is off, I change the White Balance setting on my camera, usually to Incandesent Light. The just shoot again.

What's driving me crazy is those "warm yellow" compact fluorescents.

Then I just use Photoshop's Color Balance to make any final corrections, usually tuning out some yellow towards blue

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
halflife

Posted: 1 Oct 2008 at 5:37 GMT
Hi,
I have an expo-disc for my zoom lens and it's very good. Thing is that you can measure WB with your regular lens on and after that switch to the FishEye or you can print or buy one of this:
www.pictureline.com/products/626/x-rite_Mini_Colo...
(I printed one for myself)
All the best,
Eugen.
alert moderator