Forum: Q & A

Thread: Sudden failure of PTEditor to Insert Saved View

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Henk Keijzer

Sudden failure of PTEditor to Insert Saved View
Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:55 GMT
Suddenly PTEditor on my Windows 7 64bits machine fails to insert a saved view. I can Extract a view, modify the saved picture, but it won't load it back into the pano. The prograss window shows up, then closes withit the picture being updated. The loaded pano is not modified because the tool does not warn me to save the pano when I exit. Anyone any idea?
Best regards Henk
alert moderator
John Houghton

Re: Sudden failure of PTEditor to Insert Saved View
Posted: 10 May 2014 at 16:20 GMT
This may be caused by using an equirectangular image that's too big for it to process. I usually find that I can go up to around 8000x4000 before running into trouble, though the size of the extracted image may be a factor too. For larger panoramas (and 16bit) I mostly use PTGui for patching now.

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 16:51 GMT
I ran into this issue before and it was either the equirectangular image was too large as John suggested or the .tif images was saved with a non supported compression (zip from memory).

I use Pano2VR's patch feature these days.

Check file size.
Check that it is 2:1 ratio.
Check compression used when saving the .tif file.
Make sure everything remains 16 bit. The equirectangular image and the saved patch.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 17:06 GMT

Smooth said:

Make sure everything remains 16 bit. The equirectangular image and the saved patch.

AFAIK, PTEditor doesn't support 16bit files. It may read a 16bit equirectangular file, bit it will write an 8bit patch file and save to an 8bit equirectangular file. That's what it did when I tried just now.

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 17:19 GMT
Yeah that's right. No 16 bit support! Been a long time since I played with PTEditor.

The fact it doesn't support 16 bit files is enough reason to leave it behind.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Henk Keijzer

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 20:01 GMT
updated: 10 May 2014 at 20:03 GMT
Hi John & Smooth, Thanks for the suggestions. I use 8 bit Tiffs without comprssion and so far had no problems with 10000x5000 equirectangulars. I was working on an image and and could extract and insert any view. The next day it did not work anymore. The only thing that made a difference was the installation of Perfect Effects 8 (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSBFryc5_I)...
Any suggestions for a more modern solution (apart from PTGui)?
Henk
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 23:29 GMT
Smooth already mentioned Pano2VR, which has a similar (but more complicated) editing feature. There's a video tutorial that will help. Otherwise, there are Photoshop plugins at www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubi... but it seems they are only available for 32-bit Photoshop (which you get alongside the 64bit version).

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 11 May 2014 at 6:14 GMT

Henk Keijzer said:

Hi John & Smooth, Thanks for the suggestions. I use 8 bit Tiffs without comprssion and so far had no problems with 10000x5000 equirectangulars. I was working on an image and and could extract and insert any view. The next day it did not work anymore. The only thing that made a difference was the installation of Perfect Effects 8 (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSBFryc5_I)...
Any suggestions for a more modern solution (apart from PTGui)?
Henk
Your YouTube link seems to have nothing to do with this issue? "Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai, China"

Here are some more suggestions. Delete all temp files, go to Start>Search and type %TEMP% and clear the folder. PTEditor is JAVA based. Update your JAVA installation.

Really though you should be editing with 16 bit images and moving to a program that supports this. PTEditor is outdated in this regard and JAVA is not the safest thing to have on your computer by all recent reports.

Regards,y Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Henk Keijzer

Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:59 GMT
LOL. Yes indeed, I was in Shanghai last week. Do you suspect the Chinese government has bugged my laptop? laugh
I'll try all you suggested and let you know. Thanks Smooth.
Best regards,
Henk
alert moderator
Henk Keijzer

Posted: 11 May 2014 at 13:10 GMT
Problem Solved!
It was a memory problem after all. As documented in the panotools wiki, the registry entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command should be modified to allow more memory to be used. The modification that I made a couple of months ago was un-done. Probably due due to an automatic installation of a new version of the Java engine. Anyway thanks for thinking along with me.
Best regards, Henk
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 11 May 2014 at 16:53 GMT
Glad you got a successful result Henk.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator