Forum: Q & A

Thread: What is the best Nodal Ninj panohead for 360 car interior ?

Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Egami

What is the best Nodal Ninj panohead for 360 car interior ?
Posted: 7 May 2014 at 14:09 GMT
updated: 7 May 2014 at 14:13 GMT
Hello friends
I won Nikon D800 and sigma 15mm fisheye lens which work perfectly with my NN ultimate M1 for real state and outdoor virtual tours, now I'm considering to shoot 360 car interior and due to the weight of M1 i can not use it for this purpose, i will most probably shoot this pano by using the panohead attached to pole horizontally thorough the driver window.
What other NN panohead do u recommend for 360 car interior with this scenario?
my eyes are on R1, NN3 and RS1 and 2, i know R1 is the most light and compact but nadir and zenith shots need a lot of stitching work.
Do u think the rotator of NN3 and RS1-2 will handle the weight of this compo (d800+sigma 15mm) when oriented horizontally?
May someone tell me why the photographers prefer to lock the rotator and rotate the pole itself?
Any idea how to attach the pole to the tripod out side the car? what clamps do i need?
I think if i use the NN3 with Nadir adapter this will give enough room to manipulate the D800 , what do u think?

best regard
alert moderator
samadi

Re: What is the best Nodal Ninj panohead for 360 car interior ?
Posted: 8 May 2014 at 14:19 GMT
Hello Egami
the panohead is not important you should work perfectly by roataiting camera . you can see my car at: www.mypano360.ir/car/car.swf
I shoting 8mm lens and manual handel creat material panohead .you can use the NN3 with Nadir adapter this will give enough room to manipulate the D800...

Samadi cool
www.mypano360.ir
alert moderator
Egami

Posted: 9 May 2014 at 19:10 GMT
updated: 9 May 2014 at 19:13 GMT
Hello Samadi
thanks a lot for stepping in, nice pano, i liked it.
I do not understand how do u rotate your camera,what gears are you using? ,i thought panohead is important and will help me shooting from NPP and rotating the camera precisely to achieve the number of shots that needed to cover the 360-180 view, what do u mean by manual handle creat material panohead ?

best regard
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 0:27 GMT
Use an R1 pano head tilted up 5 degrees. Depending on the lens, 3 or 4 shots around cover the sphere.

You rotate the pole not the pano head. It is just like monopod shooting but with the rig tilted 90 degrees.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 5:46 GMT
updated: 10 May 2014 at 5:46 GMT
You will find it difficult to shoot car interiors with a 15mm lens. Because it will require more rotational shots and a Zenith shot. With the D800 you are best suited to a 12mm circular lens (either a shaved 10.5 Nikkor 10.5mm or Tokina 10-17mm Zoom fisheye). Using a Nodal Ninja R1/10 with slight tilt up (+5° - +7.5°). Having a rotator that locks will also be of benefit.

Not quite as good an alternative would be a Sigma 8mm on the D800 with the R1/10 and the same tilt up. If you were using an APS-C/DX sized sensor camera I would recommend the Sigma 8mm.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Egami

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:06 GMT
updated: 10 May 2014 at 11:06 GMT
Thanks DennisS and Smooth you both agreed on R1, so it seems it is the way to go.
Since i have not experienced shooting 360 car interior before i wonder why a locked rotator is preferred , i mean why i can not use the rotor of the panohead to pan the camera, i thought it will be more accurate especially if I'm going to use more than 4 shots with my sigma 15mm ( i need 6 shots with it if I'm correct), is this because the rotator can not handle the weight of the panohead+d800+the lens ?
I can not afford 10.5 Nikkor 10.5mm or Tokina 10-17mm Zoom fisheye for the time being.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:20 GMT
With the camera through the window method you will have the panohead in a vertical position. The camera/lens will turn the panohead under weight if you don't have a lock.

Attempting to shoot 6 rotational shots and then at least the Zenith shot will create havoc trying to maintain position after manually adjusting each new position. Basically you are doomed to failure. The car interior is small, meaning you have close objects to the lens and this requires as much accuracy as possible. This is why I suggest you use a NN R1 with circular fisheye to minimise the amount of shots and have the access to the rotator lock.

Using the D800 and Sigma 15mm you need to rethink your way of shooting. Likely you will be better suited to using a small tripod within the car in typical upright configuration.

The Sigma 15mm in NOT suited to the NN R1/10 panohead.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Egami

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 13:06 GMT
Hello smooth
Thanks a lot for your kind information,now i understand why a locked rotater is preferred, i will reconsider your advice on the tripod way, but smooth they buy a lens ring for sigma 15mm fisheye as an accessory with NN R1 shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-r1-r10-lens-ring-for...
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 13:43 GMT

Egami said:

...but smooth they buy a lens ring for sigma 15mm fisheye as an accessory with NN R1 shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-r1-r10-lens-ring-for...
Yes a lens ring is available and can be used on NN M1/M2 RS1 panoheads etc. But it will NOT retain correct NPP for shooting Nadir and Zenith shots on a NN R1. This is not so much of an issue when shooting outdoors where objects are very far away. But this is not the case when shooting car interiors.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 21:11 GMT
Egami,

When I am calibrating my rig I use my small bathroom as a test. Everything is so very close to the lens. If my rig is off by 1mm there will be stitching errors.

Car interiors are the same. You need surgical precision in your rig calibration. Home interiors or landscape panos are not that picky. You can be off and still get a good stitch.

Since you are new to shooting panos, you need to learn how to do them first before you jump into one of the hardest kind. Without an instructor standing right there with you the learning curve is a bit difficult to go up.

Using a 8mm fisheye on a cropped sensor or a 12mm fisheye on a full frame sensor will allow you to capture the entire inside of the car with a maximum of 4 shots.

Drop the idea of using your 15mm. You will need make 6 adjustments to your rig as you shoot the inside of the car. Using a fisheye shooting reduces that to 3. Fewer "touches" will help increase your chances of success.

Use either a 8mm lens or a 12mm lens (depending on your camera) and the R1 pano head set to 5 or 7.5 degrees up tilt. 4 shots around and you are done.

Dennis
alert moderator