Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 17
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Anaconda

which smartphone is able to do quite good 360x180 panoramas
Posted: 6 May 2014 at 17:03 GMT
Hello

I was wonder which smartphone is able to do quite good 360x180 panoramas. Why? Because sometimes we are in nice places and not always we carry big dslr. I was wonder about 4 newest smartphones:

1) Samsung Galaxy S5

Camera - 16 MP, 5312 x 2988 pixels, phase detection autofocus, LED flash, check quality, 1/2.6'' sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size, Dual Shot, Simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization, HDR

Video - 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, HDR, video stabilization, dual-video rec.

2) Nokia Lumia 1020

Camera - 41 MP (38 MP effective, 7152 x 5368 pixels), Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, auto/manual focus, Xenon & LED flash, check quality, 1/1.5'' sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size, PureView technology, geo-tagging, face detection, dual capture, panorama

Video - 1080p@30fps, 4x lossless digital zoom, video light

3) Sony Xperia Z2

Camera - 20.7 MP, 5248 х 3936 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, 1/2.3'' sensor size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, image stabilization, HDR, panorama

Video - 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, video stabilization, HDR

4) Samsung Galaxy K Zoom

Camera - 20.7 MP, 5248 х 3936 pixels, auto/manual focus, 10x optical zoom (24-240mm), optical image stabilization, Xenon & LED flash, 1/2.3'' sensor size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, HDR, panorama

Video - 1080p@60fps

Nokia Lumia 1020 and Galaxy K Zoom have manual modes for all photo settings, I am not sure about S5 and Z2. What guys do You think which one have best quality camera? I know all of them have function panorama but this is not 360/180 :/

preview mobile phone contract is nearly expire so this is a time for new 24 agreement with new toy smile

thanx for all advices smile
alert moderator
mediavets

Re: which smartphone is able to do quite good 360x180 panoramas
Posted: 6 May 2014 at 20:16 GMT
An article from some time ago:

www.fromparis.com/technical/iphone-fisheye-unexpe...
alert moderator
Anaconda

Posted: 7 May 2014 at 7:55 GMT
but I was wonder which smartphone can give me best possible result
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 7 May 2014 at 9:27 GMT
I don't recommend Mobile Phones for panoramas but it is always hard to go past a Zeiss lens. So based on that I would be looking closely at the Nokia and comparing.

Actual pixel count doesn't mean a whole lot.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 7 May 2014 at 20:59 GMT

Anaconda said:

How did you plan to mount the Smartphone at the NPP on both axes?

Andrew
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 7 May 2014 at 21:03 GMT

Anaconda said:

There are many more specialized camera apps and hardware add-ons for iPhones that any other smartphone.

But have you considered the Ricoh Theta camera:
theta360.com/uk/

Andrew
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 8 May 2014 at 2:17 GMT
All the examples I have ever seen by regular people shooting panos with the Ricoh Theta are absolutley horrible. The picture quality is the same as my very first cell phone camera so very many years ago. I considered one for "quick and dirty" panos but the CA, focus and exposure issues are quite nasty. Let's not start talking about the stitching issues.

There is an app for the iPhone that put a target in the middle of the screen. You hold your iPhone up in the air and line up a circle, take your picture. You continue in this manner taking pictures all over the sphere. When you are done you have a 360x180 (sort of) stitched pano. I do not remember the name but the results looked promising.

My Galaxy S3 takes outstanding pictures. It has a very good HDR mode and shoots RAW! (kidding about the RAW) I have toyed with the idea of creating a very small pano head for doing panos. If i were to lug around a mini pano head and a tripod, why not lug around a small pano head and a real DSLR?
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 8 May 2014 at 7:48 GMT
DxO Optics Pro v9.1.5 supports the Nokia Lumia 1020, the first RAW-compatible mobile phone.

www.dxo.com/intl/news/dxo-optics-pro-v915-support...

www.dxo.com

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 8 May 2014 at 10:24 GMT

Anaconda said:

Nokia Lumia 1020 and Galaxy K Zoom have manual modes for all photo settings, I am not sure about S5 and Z2. What guys do You think which one have best quality camera? I know all of them have function panorama but this is not 360/180 :/

How do you propose to shoot 360x180 panos with any of these smartphones?

Andrew
alert moderator
Anaconda

Posted: 8 May 2014 at 21:38 GMT
updated: 8 May 2014 at 21:59 GMT
@mediavets - thank you for link with iPhone panorama process - I seen this several months ago but I forgot about this website. I think Ricoh Theta camera does lower quality photos than these smartphones so I don't think about this solution. In last thread You ask me how do I propose to shoot 360/180? I did't try before but I will try the same like in Your posted website - I hope that will work fine
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9jCrzR9wk

@Smooth - so do You recommend Nokia? What I know is I don't want iPhone. Nokia does the largest photos (41 mp camera) but also S5 (16 mp camera) and Z2 (20 mp camera) do good job in some internet comparisons. What I don't like in Nokia is Windows :/ and much less apps than for Androids. Also videos features are much better in last 2 smartphones (4k - 30fps, Full hd - 60 fps and also 120fps where Nokia have only 30fps full hd but what I see there is no one clear winner for photos and video - I have to choose what is more important for me and in this case I choose photography. Did You try this DxO Optics Pro? Is it any difference between retouch photos in this software compare to photoshop or lightroom?

DennisS the reason why I was wonder about panos by smartphone was I always carry my phone, not always carry my heavy dslra and fisheye which isn't universal lens so this set is just for panos for me not for other solutions. Take a look this video about diy panohead smile
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJBmH_FRgI

I think this thread maybe is weird now but everything change so fast and I think in future smartphone will be enough for create amateur panoramas from nice memory places we visit but dslr will be dedicated mainly for commercial works.

What do you think guys about these micro fisheye lenses? Will the photo quality stay the same?
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8
For Android Smartphones with 3MP Camera min. www.pixeet.com/ do you know similar for Nokia? Here was used monopod for photo shoot

If for example I would like avoid this fisheye lens then how many shoots I have to do for full 360/180 panorama with Lumia 1020 or Galaxy S5?

thanx for all advices and Your time smile
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 8 May 2014 at 22:45 GMT

Anaconda said:

If for example I would like avoid this fisheye lens then how many shoots I have to do for full 360/180 panorama with Lumia 1020 or Galaxy S5?

Apparently the Nokia 1020 has a 35 mm equivalent focal length: 25 mm for 16:9, 27 mm for 4:3.

So you would need a LOT of images to cover 360x180.

Far too many to be at all practical.

Andrew
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 9 May 2014 at 5:30 GMT

Anaconda said:

@Smooth - so do You recommend Nokia? What I know is I don't want iPhone. Nokia does the largest photos (41 mp camera) but also S5 (16 mp camera) and Z2 (20 mp camera) do good job in some internet comparisons. What I don't like in Nokia is Windows :/ and much less apps than for Androids. Also videos features are much better in last 2 smartphones (4k - 30fps, Full hd - 60 fps and also 120fps where Nokia have only 30fps full hd but what I see there is no one clear winner for photos and video - I have to choose what is more important for me and in this case I choose photography. Did You try this DxO Optics Pro? Is it any difference between retouch photos in this software compare to photoshop or lightroom?
I do not recommend any of these phones for panoramas. It's that simple! I just pointed out that Zeiss are a good lens, pixel count doesn't really matter and that the Nokia RAW file is now compatible with DxO Pro which I do use and prefer over Lightroom (actually - Lightroom is horrid IMHO).

Personally I wouldn't waste my time.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 9 May 2014 at 22:53 GMT
DennisS the reason why I was wonder about panos by smartphone was I always carry my phone, not always carry my heavy dslra
Personally I wouldn't waste my time.
The question is not if a pano should be shot with a cell phone (we all agree that given a choice, NO), the question is when you are somewhere and do not have access to a pano head and dlsr or point-n-shoot, which cell phone will give you the best chance? If the Ricoh Theta had the same quality as my Galaxy S3 I would buy one in a heart beat.
alert moderator
kasenyee

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 1:15 GMT
motrr.com
I dunno, this thing is pretty sweet.at times, I'd consider leaving behind my dslr+tripod+pano head+lens and everything else in exchange for an iPhone 5s and this. The quality isn't comparable, but if it's just something I'm shooting for myself, for fun, I don't see why not
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 10 May 2014 at 2:26 GMT
Looks like you still need that tripod. If I am going to carry that thing around I will go back to my micro pano head + NEX5 + Samuang 7.5. That is about the same size as the iPhone + that device
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 17
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last