messages 16-18 of 18
first prev prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Maximilian

Re: Where to start?
Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:42 GMT

mediavets said:

Maximilian said:

Are there other lenses to consider? Maybe a 35 or 50mm?
Yes.

But the longer the focal length the smaller the FOV of each image and the more chance you end up with some 'featureless' images that the stitching software cannot place for lack of matching features with neighbouring images.

This is where motorised heads that can record the yaw and pitch values of each image come into their own, the location data can assist the stitching software in placing the 'featureless' images in the stitch.

The Panoneed and Seitz VRDrive2 motorised heads can both do this.

Andrew

Someone gave me the advice to use something like post-it's in case of 'featureless' scenes. Probably a good way to make stitching easier. However, depending on the number of post-it's a potential nightmare in post.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:35 GMT

Maximilian said:

mediavets said:

Maximilian said:

Are there other lenses to consider? Maybe a 35 or 50mm?
Yes.

But the longer the focal length the smaller the FOV of each image and the more chance you end up with some 'featureless' images that the stitching software cannot place for lack of matching features with neighbouring images.

This is where motorised heads that can record the yaw and pitch values of each image come into their own, the location data can assist the stitching software in placing the 'featureless' images in the stitch.

The Panoneed and Seitz VRDrive2 motorised heads can both do this.

Andrew

Someone gave me the advice to use something like post-it's in case of 'featureless' scenes. Probably a good way to make stitching easier. However, depending on the number of post-it's a potential nightmare in post.

And that's why a motorised pano head that records the image position data which can later be used by the stitcher is such an advantage when shooting with longer focal lengths.

Andrew
alert moderator
Maximilian

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:11 GMT
Ok, suppose I have a motorised head, which lens would you recommend for the indoor pano's, and which one for the outdoor pano's?

I am happy with the 14-24mm @ 24mm test pano's I did, but the 21mm Zeiss is making me doubt. And if a little 21mm Zeiss is able to make me doubt about using the 14-24mm, maybe there are even better lenses to consider. That's why I'm asking for other opinions.

Same with the test pano's I made with my Nikkor 85mm. Again the 85mm Zeiss showed me that better results can be achieved.

Maybe I'm too picky? I just don't want to regret taking a couple of 100 pano's and come to the conclusion better results where possible simply by investigating other lens possibilities.

Regards,
Max
alert moderator
messages 16-18 of 18
first prev prev 1 2 next next last