Forum: Q & A

Thread: Loading (and viewing) spherical panoramas in an iPad ?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 17
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Loading (and viewing) spherical panoramas in an iPad ?
Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 14:24 GMT
Hi all !

...as the title says, is there a way to load and view spherical panoramas on an iPad 2 ?

I know that the iPad doesn't read *.MOW, *.SWF or HTML5 files, but can one convert them in a readable format for iPAD ?

Thanks for your comments, help, suggestion, etc...

wink
J-P.
alert moderator
stalwart

Location: Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Re: Loading (and viewing) spherical panoramas in an iPad ?
Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 13:21 GMT
ZIP up your tours, upload to your iPad through iTunes and open in either Goodreader or HTML5 Books Apps. I personally use the latter.

HTH

Stu
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 11:40 GMT
Thanks for the answer !

Actually, I try to avoid iTunes !!!

I will get HTML5 Books ! ...but, is there another way to load the panos into the iPad ?

wink
J-P.
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 20:09 GMT

Jean-Pierre Scherrer said:

Hi all !

...as the title says, is there a way to load and view spherical panoramas on an iPad 2 ?

I know that the iPad doesn't read *.MOW, *.SWF or HTML5 files, but can one convert them in a readable format for iPAD ?

Thanks for your comments, help, suggestion, etc...

wink
J-P.

Actually HTML5 is what the iPad needs.

The easiest way is to use Pano2VR or KRpano to export your pano tour to a HTML5 compatible panorama and then make a zip of the tour and use the app HTML_books or Site-2-Go HD to download it to your iPad.

Site-2-Go HD can import it from your dropbox which is very easy when you learnt how. Or via your browser, just follow the instructions in the app.

HTML_Books can download the zip from your website or import it directly from your computer via iTunes.

Hans
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 21:47 GMT
On my iTouch, my wife's iPad 1 and an iPad Air html5 works fine.

I created the pano using html5 (no flash). I zipped up all the files into one .zip file.

GoodReader is the app I use inside iTunes to transfer the .zip file to the iDevice. Unzip the file on your iDevice and away you go.
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 18:15 GMT
Hi Hans !

Thanks for the tips ! One thing, though: is it possible to upload and run HTML5 files in an iPad WITHOUT having to use iTunes ?

Did I say that I HAIT iTunes ?!?!

wink
J-P.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 3:22 GMT
Alternative:
Visit the app store and purchase the Puffin browser and then you can view FLASH on your iDevice.
itunes.apple.com/au/app/puffin-web-browser/id4062...

There is a free trial to see if it's up to your liking.
itunes.apple.com/au/app/puffin-web-browser-free/i...

www.puffinbrowser.com

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 13:47 GMT
Hi Smooth !

Thanks for the tips !

So, installing the Puffin browser on my iPad will allow me to send a ZIP file containing the *.SWF file on Dropbox (for example), then load them in my iPad and read them ? Is that the procedure ?

smile
J-P.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 15:31 GMT

Jean-Pierre Scherrer said:

So, installing the Puffin browser on my iPad will allow me to send a ZIP file containing the *.SWF file on Dropbox (for example), then load them in my iPad and read them ? Is that the procedure ?
You would need to run some tests. The browser is typically used for reading online material. You upload to a webserver and view via the Internet via HTML.

I don't think it (Puffin Browser) is going to work reading locally as the HTML is read via a cloud.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 18:17 GMT
Goodreader will allow you to transfer the .zip file to your iDevice through iTunes. I know you hate iTunes and so do I, but itunes works with iDevices. Goodreader does not use the internet as all files are transferred from your computer directly to your idevice.

After you transfer your .zip file use Goodreader on your ipad you unzip the file and run the index.html (or whatever you called the file.) The html5 pano you created with Pano2VR is then viewed locally. No need to install any additional viewers. Goodreader does it all.

I carried a huge sample of my panos with me on an iPad (when I used to own one). I have since moved over to an Android device. File management is infiniately better on an Android because file management does not exist on the iPad. That, however, is a discussion for another thread. I still have lots of panos on my ipod touch. I use Goodreader to launch the pano.

Below is a screen shot of what you will see in iTunes on the "Apps" tab.

alert moderator
Brandan

Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:23 GMT
updated: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:25 GMT
I do not have any of the fancy phones, so I will admit that I have no clue.

I thought the modern ones were suppose to be able to play html5. If a person uses the default browser on an Ipad and clicks on a link to a HTML5 will the tour work, or does a person have to do what is described in this thread?

EDITed: Spelling.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 9:32 GMT
The issue is playing the files locally. If they are uploaded to a server to be served over the Internet then there is no problem. If you are attempting to play the files directly from your iPhone/iPad (harddrive storage) etc via a browser you will run into security issues.

This is where Goodreader comes into play. It conquers the the local file security issue.

Most people will have there panoramas hosted online for Internet display so you can view via HTML5 browser no problem. Or in the case of adding Puffin as a browser you can view Flash .swf files.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 13:59 GMT
Android devices have the same local security issue. I tried 25+ browsers and settled on Opera Classic. It renders local panos smoother than any other browser I tried. It was the only one I could find that can be configured to allow local html calls. www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/ViewPanoOnS3/index.html
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 17:51 GMT
updated: 26 Dec 2013 at 17:53 GMT
Thanks Smoooth and Dennis !

In the end it seems that Goodreader is the only solution that allows to load spherical panos IN MY iPAD and have them rotating !

...and it also seems that I WILL HAVE TO USE iTUNES, like it or not angry !

Ohhh well... if this is the way to show my panos when I don't have a WIFI connection, so be it !

Thanks for the help !

smile
J-P.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 3:31 GMT
One other alternative is PangeaVR Pro app for the iDevices where you can archive for local playback.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 17
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last