Forum: Q & A

Thread: Fisheye or Wide Angle for Virtual Tour?

Search the forums:
Author  Message 
bertax

Fisheye or Wide Angle for Virtual Tour?
Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 12:51 GMT
Hi,

im trying to make virtual tour. I have Nikon D7000(crop 1.5x) and 18-55 lens. Its hardly because i have to take 40-50 photos for a scene so i want to buy new lens and panorama head. I will choose Nodal Ninja or Panosaurus for panorama head. But i have any idea for lens. Some people suggested fisheye lens. But it has distortion effect especially some objects are twisted at interior shots. When i combine to photos, will it break down(bad result)? Maybe i must buy wide angle lens for smooth results.

Whats your advice? Thankss. wink
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: Fisheye or Wide Angle for Virtual Tour?
Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 14:28 GMT
It is common rookie misconception to think a Fisheye lens causes distortion in a panorama but the reality is it makes no difference as far as distortion goes with any lens. Be it Fisheye, Wide Angle or Rectilinear. All warping and distortion is corrected with the panorama stitching software. So long as they support wide angle and fisheye lenses. This is where you look to PTGui, PTGui Pro and AutoPano Pro/Giga software.

www.ptgui.com
www.kolor.com

Ultimately the best lens for your camera for quality vs shots required is the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye which is a full frame fisheye 180° diagonal vs say the Sigma 8mm Fisheye that is a circular fisheye.

As far as a Panohead is concerned you need to choose the better product and that is the Nodal Ninja. Using that camera body with the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye you would be well suited to the NN 3MKII (or above) panohead.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 14:31 GMT
When correctly stitched, you will not be able to tell whether a panorama was shot with a standard rectilinear lens or with a fisheye. The distortion of the fisheye is corrected in the stitching. Naturally there will be a difference in the resolution and amount of detail captured. See tinyurl.com/3jvmgjd .

John
alert moderator
bertax

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 13:58 GMT
updated: 26 Oct 2013 at 14:17 GMT
Hi, sorry late response, im busy at work and thx replies

as a result what should i buy?
Samyang 8mm f/3.5 or Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8 or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 for smooth stitching?

I will buy next week wink
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 15:48 GMT
If you can afford to pay for the Nikkor 10.5mm that is the best bet for the Nikon camera. It is very hard to beat and it is what I would buy in your situation.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
bertax

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:28 GMT
ok last question;

complate of my photos must be clear(sharpness), i dont want depth of field or focus of one object but lenses are f/2.8 is it trouble?
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:36 GMT
updated: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:37 GMT
Shooting panos you should use f8/f11 because the lenses do their best at these apertures.

I can send you a set of pics with D7000 nikkor 10.5/f2.8 if you like the next days.

Heinz
alert moderator
bertax

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 11:29 GMT
hi ''hindenhaag''

If you have free time, please shoot photos for virtual tour of a scene(especially inside place shoots) and send me, i can wait you. Thank you... wink
alert moderator
Henri Smeets

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 13:27 GMT
Hi Bertax,

I shoot almost everything with my Nikon 10.5mm. Until recently on a D300 and now on a D800 (in DX mode). Have a look at this example and many others on my site;

www.c360.nl/moooimilan2013/

I really love the dynamic range on the D800, I hardly ever use HDR!
alert moderator
bertax

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 14:09 GMT
Hi Henri, first of all, thx your response,

You use Nikon 10.5mm lens on D800(FX) in DX mode because Lens is DX lens, so D300 and D800 has same focal length on Nikon 10.5m. is it right?

and did you make this virtual tour(moooi in Milaan 2013) and others?

if you made which did you use machine D300 or D800(with nikon 10.5)? Because its excellent.
alert moderator
Henri Smeets

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 21:28 GMT
Hi Bertax,

Thanks for the compliment, the venue and exhibition itself were simply stunning, covering it in 360 was merely logical wink

Yes that tour was done with the D800 in DX mode, 6 around one up. Shaving the lens and shooting full frame only enables less shots needed yet more blurring in the edges so there's not much need for that in this case.

I used the D800 since january this year, before that all was shot with my trusty D300. Just check the dates on the projects on C360.NL

Perhaps I'll get a 16mm fisheye to get more pixels with the D800 still using 6+1 shot or the Sigma 15mm. So far no immediate need for that though.

My guess is that the D7000 will at least equal the D300 shots probably even surpass it a little!

Still the most important bit is the right processing of the RAW shots and stitching obviously wink

Good luck!
alert moderator
bertax

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 8:33 GMT
updated: 28 Oct 2013 at 8:33 GMT
Henri,

i examined your works, and d300 works are satisfactory too,congratulations!

before buying nikkor 10.5 or tokina 11-16, i want to ask last question. Lenses are f2.8, for example when we shoot photos at small room, have we a problem to some objects are near of us at room.(depth of field - adjacent object clear(sharp) but other objects are blur)
As a result, we need generic sharpness at photos so f2.8 and f3.5 is very different?
alert moderator
hjuk

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 18:51 GMT
updated: 13 Dec 2013 at 18:52 GMT
Nice work, Henri. I'm pretty new at this and need to get up to speed pronto. Can I ask what platform/software you used to:
a. stitch the images
b. create an host the tour

Many thanks
alert moderator