Forum: Q & A

Thread: Experience with Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 16-30 of 33
first prev prev 1 2 3 next next last
Author  Message 
Smooth

Re: Experience with Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?
Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:25 GMT

nmccamy said:

I now agree with you 100%!

I asked RRS if they were going to create a rotator with click stops and here is their reply verbatim:

We don’t offer any gear with click stops. I’m not sure that’s being developed, but if so it’s a very low priority product for us. Not a lot of demand, and many other things to come before it.
Yes you see why I stated earlier:

Smooth said:

The major advantage with Nodal Ninja is that the company has evolved over the years listening to it's customers and building the products we ask them to build whilst being innovative on it's own. All the time all other manufacturers have been stagnant "thinking" they meet the brief.
You just had the main man (manufacturer) Nick Fan from Fanotec/Nodal Ninja reply on your thread here. that alone shows dedication to the panorama industry.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:33 GMT
Smooth,

You're the man! Wait a minute! I assume you're a man! laugh

Anyway, now that I've settled on the M1, I have some more questions.

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro tripod and RRS BH-40 ball head (I know, not the greatest). Will the lower rotator mount directly on the ball head?

Any tips on using the M1?

Also, I can't help but laugh when I see that you live in Mount Panorama!

I'd love to photograph those funnel webs!
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:43 GMT
Smooth,

Nick Fan is the main man! Yikes! I had no idea who he was! Wow! A celebrity was paying attention to little old me! blush

My name is also Nick, Nick McCamy, and from one Nick to another, thank you for creating such a great product! I will give my honest opinion about my experience with the M1. I cannot get this immediately, more like January. But I can't wait!!!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:44 GMT

nmccamy said:

You're the man! Wait a minute! I assume you're a man! laugh
Yes, male.

nmccamy said:

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro tripod and RRS BH-40 ball head (I know, not the greatest). Will the lower rotator mount directly on the ball head?
The NN rotator will mount to either your ball head of directly to your tripod no problem. It's native thread is 3/8" and comes also with the 1/4" reducer adapter.

nmccamy said:

Any tips on using the M1?
Learn how to find and set up for the NPP (No Parallax Point) and write and log positions for your focal lengths. NN Rail Stops are a good accessory for this.

Learn:
www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical7.html
and my own offering:
www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?...

nmccamy said:

Also, I can't help but laugh when I see that you live in Mount Panorama!
It's true I live at the base of the world famous Mount Panorama race track.

nmccamy said:

I'd love to photograph those funnel webs!
You'd want to stay well clear of the female Sydney Funnel webs. Rare you would ever get to see one. If you do in the wild it's normally after you've been bitten!

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 20:45 GMT
As usual, thanks smooth! You really are cool!

I have seen just about every tutorial on finding the entrance pupil, except yours. I'll go check it out right now!

Have you ever seen a funnel web spider in the wild?
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 21:20 GMT
updated: 1 Oct 2013 at 21:23 GMT
Smooth,

Great tutorial! I will refer to it when I get my M1. You've been doing this for quite awhile I see!

I guess right now I cannot think of any more questions to ask. When I get my hands on the M1 and put it into action, then I'm sure I'll have plenty!

It's kind of strange how I decided to get into this. One day I was blown away by some Hasselblad H4D-60 photos and knew there was no way I could ever own such amazing technology. The resolution, color, and dynamic range was just astounding!

I started doing Internet searches on high resolution photographs and quickly came upon Max Lyons website. Viewing what he did and how he did it planted that seed into my head. That notion that I could achieve even better results than that Hasselblad! Obviously, this can only be done through very laborious efforts. I never back down from hard work. The end result is definitely worth it! I always take the hard road, the least traveled road and end up really learning and understanding my craft.

I'm not a fan of single row panoramas. Just not my cup of tea. But I'm very excited about doing multi-rows. I'm going to further complicate things by doing both exposure and focus blending. Talk about insanity! very surprised

My wife tells me I'm out of my mind, and I thank her! I've always been the odd ball, and slightly-off. And I love challenging myself with difficult projects. And boy, I've picked a real doozy!
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 22:34 GMT
Smooth,

You said "The NN rotator will mount to either your ball head or directly to your tripod no problem".

Shouldn't I be mounting the rotator onto a ball head? That way I can level the head via the ball. If I mounted the rotator directly on the tripod, I would have to level the head via the tripod legs, unless I added a leveler.

Thoughts?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 1:40 GMT
"That notion that I could achieve even better results than that Hasselblad! "

If you were to sit in Michale Shumacher's F1 car, do you think you could drive a lap in the same amount of time?

The camera has little to do with the final product. You can get stunning results with your current camera if you have sound technique. Took me many years, many dollars and several camera bodies before I finally learned this expensive lesson. The amount of time a camera is involved in the panorama creation process is no longer than the time it takes to hit the shutter relase. You have to pick the spot, set up your tripod, get your camera settings all correct, wait for the proper light, check your shadow then CLICK. If you patch the Nadir you have to take enough pictures to remove your shadow and tripod. Total camera time is less than 5 seconds. Total set up time can be hours depending on how picky you are.

Calibrate your rig and go out and start shooting!
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 4:07 GMT
If I had Michale Shumacher's F1 car, whoever that is, and multiplied it by 100, yes I could beat him by a mile quite easily. So what, anyone could.

A professional photographer with a disposable camera and one shot could quite easily take a far more interesting photograph than I could, taking an infinite number of photographs with all the Hasselblads in the world. So what?

I have no desire in becoming a great photographer. I have no desire in making money as a photographer. I have no desire in trying to impress other photographers.

I do have a strong desire to create presentable nature photographs to anyone who might open their wallet and donate to any of the organizations whose goal it is to protect our natural resources.

What selfless acts has Michale Shumacher done to promote the well being of our planet?
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 4:22 GMT
And I did say better results than that Hasselblad, NOT the person behind the camera. It's not hard beating a Hasselblad's one shot with an SLR shooting multiple rows. That, in turn, creates a very sharp photograph.

Perhaps erroneously, I think most people perceive very sharp photographs as more pleasing and professional. Hence, they will pay more attention to the content of the photo, and hopefully appreciate the subtle message that our natural resources are worth something.

I'm simply an amateur snap shooter trying to give back to the community and promote awareness of our great earth.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 8:28 GMT
updated: 2 Oct 2013 at 8:29 GMT

nmccamy said:

Smooth,

You said "The NN rotator will mount to either your ball head or directly to your tripod no problem".

Shouldn't I be mounting the rotator onto a ball head? That way I can level the head via the ball. If I mounted the rotator directly on the tripod, I would have to level the head via the tripod legs, unless I added a leveler.

Thoughts?
The option of placing on a ball head to use as a leveler is fine. Those who use PTGui also understand it doesn't really matter if you shoot level as you can correct this with the software in post production. But you are reliant on items within the images that are 100% vertical or 100% horizontal like man made items like buildings, windows or construction where level is important. This is done with T1 and T2 control points and something you should look into and practice while your waiting.

nmccamy said:

Have you ever seen a funnel web spider in the wild?
No never had the misfortune thankfully.

nmccamy said:

I'm not a fan of single row panoramas. Just not my cup of tea. But I'm very excited about doing multi-rows. I'm going to further complicate things by doing both exposure and focus blending. Talk about insanity! very surprised
Insanity helps with specialized photography. laugh

nmccamy said:

I'm simply an amateur snap shooter trying to give back to the community and promote awareness of our great earth.
Nick, DennisS is a good bloke and helps and shares knowledge often. Sometimes things can read a bit harsh and this forum has a tradition as not being suited to those who take easy offense. It's not the place for shrinking violets! Dennis is just saying money buying equipment doesn't equal stunning results and that people himself included have thrown good money after bad buying bigger and better hardware yet yielding only minuscule improvements. Once you learn how to get the most from what you have and can't squeeze more is the only time you need to spend again.

Dennis also missed that your intention is "Mosaic" and not 360x180 VR work that we both enjoy.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 13:06 GMT
"whoever that is"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher#Finance_...

"What selfless acts has Michale Shumacher done to promote the well being of our planet? "

(From the same Wikipedia page)
He donated $10 million for aid after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. His donation surpassed that of any other sports person, most sports leagues, many worldwide corporations and even some countries

Sorry to have tried to help. I have been in your position and thought you could benefit from my past mistakes. My mistake.
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 16:49 GMT
Truce!

Let's just move forward.

I'm just trying to find a panorama solution that allows me to make half-way descent photographs of this world so people may appreciate it more. I'm not a real photographer, I'm more of a nature advocate. I believe the M1 will allow a totally inexperienced like myself to accomplish this.
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 17:03 GMT
updated: 2 Oct 2013 at 17:04 GMT
Nick,

Let me know when you have the equipment in house and I'll help you to get you on the road.

I know you will be using D800 and Zeiss 100mm.

I have some settings for you to start with and test them and feel free to ask. I use Smooth's method for a long time and all my LRS tests.

So long,
Heinz
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 at 19:13 GMT
Wow! You're so kind! Thank you so much!
alert moderator
messages 16-30 of 33
first prev prev 1 2 3 next next last