Forum: Q & A

Thread: Experience with Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 33
first prev Prev 1 2 3 next next last
Author  Message 
nmccamy

Experience with Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?
Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 13:04 GMT
Has anyone had experience with the Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: Experience with Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?
Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 14:18 GMT

nmccamy said:

Has anyone had experience with the Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1?
Absolutely but I have built mine to my specifications. I'm not a fan of nodal slides and far prefer the clamp that slides on the rail. The reason I prefer this is that I primarily use ultra wide lenses including fisheyes and I don't want the sliding rail in shot. Although I can still slide the upper rail, I can also slide the clamp independently. I also use the billet rail stops and nadir adapter. The latter obviously not so important if shooting a mosaic. But this is the benefit of a modular system you build it to your own desires and requirements.

I use Really Right Stuff, Markins and Kirk camera plates and also Nodal Ninja foot plates via lens rings. All Arca Swiss compatible.

The detents (click stops) on the Nodal Ninja upper and lower rotators are a huge advantage.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 15:37 GMT
Smooth!

It's you again!

I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot from Really Right Stuff. The staff there are super and I'm sure I'll be very happy with their product.
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 15:39 GMT
Yes, I know what you're going to say!

The click stops are not a big deal to me.
alert moderator
Tim Eastman

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 16:40 GMT
nmccamy:
There seems to be some lack of logic throughout your threads. Cost was a consideration but you are buying the most expensive equipment ( RRS ) You say you want to do multi row mosaics and eschew rotators with detents. Let's say you are getting ready to do your mosaic: among the many things to remember White Balance, camera set to Manual, low ISO, getting proper exposure etc. If you want to make the process easy why would you not want a rotator with detents? The difference is huge, especially with what you want to do. You need to physically either look through the viewfinder for overlap or look at the degree markings on a rotator. It might seem easy, but if, after setting up to do your shot you miss one shot ( easy to do ) you have wasted your time. Detents take all that worry away. It really is a no brainer. RRS stuff is beautiful, but their continued insistence on selling rotators without detents is their Achille's heel. Why pay more for less?
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 17:10 GMT
updated: 30 Sep 2013 at 17:20 GMT
Hi,

It really seams strange to me how you can decide for a panohead without rotators without click stops. It takes so much time to set the intervals from mark to mark, specially when you do gigapixel mosaics. Believe me, you'll soon be tired to set your panohead step by step. Plus what do you do in low light conditions? Illuminate you panohead, switch off the light and on again for the next interval?

As Tim already mentioned, there are lots of things you have to look after, easy to fuck up a whole pano missing one shot.

I use RRS stuff as well, but for panos I rely since years on Nodal Ninja without any complaint concerning quality.

I would think about it. Try to get both equipments to test them. Give Bill a call cause you are living in the US to try NN equipment if you like to test a panohead with click stops.

Over the time I've learned you get fair advice by Smooth as well as of Tim. These are the one's you can and should listen to.

Good luck!.

Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 17:45 GMT

nmccamy said:

Smooth!

It's you again!
Yes, guilty blush
this forum has slowed greatly in recent months and has never been very heavily populated on weekends.

nmccamy said:

I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot from Really Right Stuff. The staff there are super and I'm sure I'll be very happy with their product.
Well RSS make some excellent products and as I have stated before I use them also. But let me tell you. I do this for a living and can have any product I like. I choose to use Nodal Ninja. At the very least you can always add a decent click stop rotator to the Omni-Pro but you're paying twice and really your not getting twice the product.

I do wish you well and would love to see your work and what your final system becomes.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 23:35 GMT
Tim, Heinz, Smooth,

Wow! I trust you guys, you really know your stuff, and I sense I may be making a big mistake!

OK, let's talk Ninja. Should I be looking at the Ultimate M1 or Ninja 4, and why?
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 0:54 GMT
I forgot to mention that I will be using a Nikon D800E and Zeiss 100mm lens. The Ninja 4 maxes out at 100mm.

Sharpness is critical to me and would be willing to pay for a more stable solution.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 6:39 GMT

nmccamy said:

I forgot to mention that I will be using a Nikon D800E and Zeiss 100mm lens. The Ninja 4 maxes out at 100mm.

Sharpness is critical to me and would be willing to pay for a more stable solution.
Based on your camera body and the focal length I would highly suggest the Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1 series panohead. The major differences between the NN4 and NN M1 is billet aluminium, arca swiss mounts, modular design and upper rotator click stops.

Both versions can use the same lower rotator, the NN4 can also have acra swiss mount as an option (upper rail and under rotator). But the strength and modular design is with the NN M1.

The major advantage with Nodal Ninja is that the company has evolved over the years listening to it's customers and building the products we ask them to build whilst being innovative on it's own. All the time all other manufacturers have been stagnant "thinking" they meet the brief. The company is also noted for it's customer service and involvement in the panorama industry.

On top of all this the products have always been competitive with pricing.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 13:58 GMT
Concerning stability:

ge.tt/3LyRo7Q

The pics show M2, the rails with and without D3 and 300mm/f2.8. No movement at all.

Heinz
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 15:44 GMT
updated: 1 Oct 2013 at 15:51 GMT

nmccamy said:

Tim, Heinz, Smooth,

Wow! I trust you guys, you really know your stuff, and I sense I may be making a big mistake!

OK, let's talk Ninja. Should I be looking at the Ultimate M1 or Ninja 4, and why?

You are looking for RRS products. Of course, you should get our M1/M2 for quality and versatility.
I have been designing pano heads for 10 years. All our products are built for panoramic photography. It is safe to assume I know what panoramic photographers need better than RRS. smile
We are making tools to easliy custom make integrated stop plates which will be offered free to all M1/2 customers. A great unique feature ONLY from Nodal Ninja.

A big advantage of M1 is its precision in the rotators. It allows template to be used to greatly speed up stitching and tackling stitching issues.
[url]panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/NN-M1-precision-...[/url]
The precision of M1 can help overcome lots of issue with featureless area such as sky, plain wall etc.

NIck
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:12 GMT
OK,

I'm sold! Ultimate M1 it is!
Thanks guys! I appreciate the much needed guidance to make the right decision!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:15 GMT

nmccamy said:

OK,

I'm sold! Ultimate M1 it is!
Thanks guys! I appreciate the much needed guidance to make the right decision!
Smart move, something you will not regret. smile

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
nmccamy

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:17 GMT
updated: 1 Oct 2013 at 17:25 GMT
Tim,

I now agree with you 100%!

I asked RRS if they were going to create a rotator with click stops and here is their reply verbatim:

We don’t offer any gear with click stops. I’m not sure that’s being developed, but if so it’s a very low priority product for us. Not a lot of demand, and many other things to come before it.
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 33
first prev Prev 1 2 3 next next last