Forum: Q & A

Thread: Can anyone recommend a camera for pano?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
MikeG333

Can anyone recommend a camera for pano?
Posted: 15 May 2013 at 20:24 GMT
Hi,

new to panorama photography and looking to purchase my first digital camera for panoramic shooting only. My budget is 600-1k for everything. Would anyone be able to recommend a good camera and lenses i would need that would provide quality shots for shooting 360 panoramic photographs for hotels, restaurants, etc.

much appreciated!
alert moderator
Flashificator

Re: Can anyone recommend a camera for pano?
Posted: 15 May 2013 at 21:41 GMT
For everything... if you mean...

Hardware:
Camera
Lens
(Radio/wired/IR) remote control
Extra batteries
Battery Charger
Panorama head
Tripod
Bag to carry your equipment

Old wide angle camera 8mp with fixed lens (not interchangeable) can be had quite cheap, and it would still be very capable of making good panos 16.000x8.000 pixel equirectangulars as a minimum (30+ images to shoot for a sphere) ... USD: 50 or so.

Extra batteries and charger.... USD 50-100
Remote... USD 10
Panorama head... USD 3 in materials if you make one in your garage with needed materials (google "nodal samurai" "panorama head") or you can buy a used head... or you can buy a new cheap one (from around USD 100 and up)

Tripod... USD 10 for a used one. USD 30 for a new one (bad quality).

Bag... USD 10 for a used one... more for better quality, much more for very good and new.

Software:
Image editing software (Gimp : Free Photoshop : NOT free, but very good.

Stitching software (Hugin : Free PTgui.com : NOT free, but perfect)

Panorama tour creation software (Panosalado : Free Flashificator : NOT free, but enables you to produce tours in minutes without having to worry about learning code.

Hosting:
Domain name (you can find free domain name service without ads) You can get domains very cheaply... down to 4 USD per year... maybe even cheaper, no need to try to save on that front.

Hosting account (you can find free hosting services without ads) Paid hosting can be had for cheap... 50 or so USD per year. (you get what you pay for... don't forget that).

FTP software for uploading your works (you can find free FTP software) Paid software is better and easier to use (as far as I am aware of)

A good camera with a good lens, remote control, extra batteries, extra charger(s) can easily set you back with USD 6.000.

A good panorama head, leveler, rotator, and tripod will be another USD 1.500

Paid software for image editing, stitching and tour building can cost you

Image Editors:
USD 240 per year using Adobe Photoshop ( adobe.com )
or
USD 300 (not per year) for Xara designer ( www.xara.com/us/products/designer/ )

Stitching software:
USD 100-200 for PTgui stitcher ( www.ptgui.com )
or
USD 130-260 for Kolor stitcher ( www.kolor.com/buy/?___store=eng&___from_store=def... )

Panorama tour creation software (GUI based for professional use):

USD 170 for Flashificator ( flashificator.com/ )
USD 330 for Pano2VR ( gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr_license.php )
USD 390 for Kolor Pano Tour Pro ( www.kolor.com/buy/panotour-pro.html )

There are many other software packages and camera and lens combinations available for different prices and features and ease of use (or more tangled) ... but there really isn't any simple answer to your question. It is like asking: I have a budget of 10.000 and need to go from New York to San Fransisco, what kind of a car should I get me for that trip?

As you can see from that - no single answer would be the right one. You need to do some searching and get a clear idea of what kind of quality you want image wise, what you need to have available in your tours etc. etc. etc. etc.

I do hope this is of some help for you entering this field of photography.... but it can also complicate things for you at this early point in time.

Best of luck.

alert moderator
MetroRuss

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 21:53 GMT
Nice post trausti
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:38 GMT
updated: 16 May 2013 at 7:42 GMT

MikeG333 said:

Hi,

new to panorama photography and looking to purchase my first digital camera for panoramic shooting only. My budget is 600-1k for everything. Would anyone be able to recommend a good camera and lenses i would need that would provide quality shots for shooting 360 panoramic photographs for hotels, restaurants, etc.

much appreciated!

Canon EOS 1100 D body
Samyang 8mm fisheye lens Canon mount
GTP Pkg- without Lens Ring pano head (from nodalninja.com )
Lens Ring for Samyang 8mm Canon mount
PTGui software for stitching
Krpano viewer (it has drag'n drop vtour builder)
Any sturdy tripod with no head
Cheap wired remote (search on ebay)

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
opticsguy

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 14:21 GMT
Depends on your needs.
I am having great success with both a point and shoot panasonic and also an olympus E-510. both older cameras and no other equipment. most of your success depends on your imagination and creativity. Almost any camera will make good panos, it is the details that make up the differences you might need. The only real problems I have experienced is the need for rapid shooting for subjects that move and sometimes in need of a mounting with the camera centered on the nodal point to avoid some jaggies.
alert moderator