Forum: Q & A

Thread: Need some replace my equipment advice!

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 16
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Rolf Bieze

Need some replace my equipment advice!
Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:12 GMT
updated: 15 May 2013 at 9:15 GMT
Hello Everybody,

I'm new at the forum and already love it!

A couple of years ago I started a (little) business with height photography for real estate. (hobby became "work")
Business is going good and last year I was searching to expand my services and the next step wasn't hard, spherical panorama's.

For my height photography I use a canon 7D and I really love the camera. For the panorama's I bought an 8mm samyang and nodal ninja 3 and started to experiment with this kind of photography. (and then it became an addiction smile..)

Because my 7D is now a couple of years old, I want to buy a second body. And the longer i'm searching, more questions come up.
So I hope you guys can help me out!

Current equipment: Canon 7D, samyang 8mm, Nodal Ninja 3, solid tripod, wireless remote.

Questions:

- Stay cropfactor or go fullframe? Advice is always "never downgrade the current body" but are there reasons to go fullframe?

- Stay canon or go Nikon? Or other brand? I see allot of nikon panorama photographers. Is this because image quality? dynamic range? other reasons? coincidence?

- Stay with the samyang or go sigma 8mm? or maybe an other lenses? I love the samyang, but never had the change to compare it to other (fish eye) lenses.

- Or maybe it is better to ask another question, if someone wants to start from scratch, what is the body + lens combo to go for at the moment? (besides the canon 1Dx or nikon D4, they are way out of my budget! hehe)
alert moderator
Rolf Bieze

Re: Need some replace my equipment advice!
Posted: 17 May 2013 at 18:59 GMT
nobody? sad
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 17 May 2013 at 19:40 GMT
Hi Rolf,
It all depends on what you are ready to spend for this. Fullframe is good because you need to shoot less pictures to cover the full sphere. But if you want high-res panos your camera should have a good resolution. After the "somehow too expensive" 5dm3 is launched the price of 5dm2 which is a fabuolus camera hit the bottom on the "used" market, at least where I live. My current equipment is 5dm2, Canon EF 8-15 which is a fantastic lens and NN5. NN5 is discontinued - NN4 is available, as far as I know NN3 is not for FF-DSLR. You can have a look at my gallery here:

www.bilisimfotograf.com/360-derece-sanal-tur

Why change the brand when you have started with Canon? I don't think one can say in general the image quality of Canon is better then Nikon or vice versa. It all depends on the model and the price. No idea about Samyang or Sigma but Canon 15 mm or Canon 8-15 are definitely good quality lenses.
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:00 GMT
Fullframe is good because you need to shoot less pictures to cover the full sphere.

No true.

The number of pictures is a function of the lens, not the sensor.

On my D300 I use a Nikon 10.5 lens while on my D800 I use a 16mm lens. The shooting pattern is the same, 6 around + Zenith + Nadir + hand held Nadir.

When monopod shooting I use a Sigma 8mm lens with my NEX-7 or a Tokina 12-17 lens with my D800. 4 around tilted back 5 degrees + hand held Nadir covers the sphere.

But if you want high-res panos your camera should have a good resolution.

Not quite 100% true. There is more to the puzzle than just camera pixel count.

When you strip away enough detail in order to have quick load speeds, hi res is more a function of your workflow and techique rather than megapixel count.

Shooting RAW and good technique will yield better quality than shooting .jpg more times than not.

There are several examples on my web site where I have used cameras from 12 to 36 megapixels. After processing for the internet there is not much difference in the finished product.

While it is true you do need to start out with the best equipment you can afford, bad technique and workflow will kill a pano no matter how high the pixel count.
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 18 May 2013 at 7:35 GMT
updated: 18 May 2013 at 7:37 GMT
Hi Rolf

Your current setup is fine.

As Burake said, if you go FF, you will need less photos for a sphere than with the current crop sensor.

My advice is to produce some work with current equipment and post here, then you'll receive some advice and you'll learn which way is better to go with some expert advice.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 18 May 2013 at 17:25 GMT
Nothing wrong with your 7D. This is still the Canon APS-C camera of choice. It hasn't been superseded and should exceed your requirements for panorama making. With the exception of needing to add a "Promote" from www.promotesystems.com to improve the AEB (same is true for all Nikon models also).

No need to upgrade to a full size sensor body unless you wish to shoot a panorama with less amount of images with a full circular fisheye like the Sigma 8mm Fisheye.

Your best option I believe is if you want more resolution is to purchase a superior lens. For this I would look to the Canon f/4 L Series 8-15mm Zoom Fisheye.

Two reasons:
1. You can shoot at 15mm multirow when you want the extra resolution and down to 8mm (cropped circular) to shoot even less shots then you do now with the Samyang.
2. You can use this lens on either APS-C, APS-H or Full Size sensor Canon cameras. So "if" you do decide to upgrade, the lens is already in place.

Switch to Nikon? I own both (and Sony's) and I personally would stick with Canon. You already own one and know the menu structure etc. Switching brands isn't going to do much but empty your pockets.

Learn how to get more from what you have is always my number 1 recommendation. Buying a camera body alone rarely makes your images improve by any noticeable amount.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 18 May 2013 at 17:32 GMT
Learn how to get more from what you have is always my number 1 recommendation. Buying a camera body alone rarely makes your images improve by any noticeable amount.
I have been bitten by this one already. I actually went back to an older version of my pano gear for my last trip.
alert moderator
Rolf Bieze

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 12:20 GMT
Thanks for the reply everybody!.

Allot of the questions have been answered as I was hoping for smile

I'm staying with canon because all of my equipment is for canon and as smooth says it will definitely empy my pockets for sure!

Good glass is one important thing for a photographers equipment, but am I correct if I say that switching to a sigma 8mm, the improvement for image qualitity will be minimal compared to the samyang 8mm? If I really want noticeable better glass, the canon 8-15mm will be the better option? (looking at IQ besides the bigger investment in money!!!).

The promote is one of the thing I really am thinking of buying for a while now. This because the +3 bracketing option is the no. 1 thing I miss on the canon 7D, are there other options of +3 bracketing options on an 7D besides the promote, and I believe the magic lantern firmware?

I will look how to post pano here! Advise from the experts here is always good smile
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 15:21 GMT
updated: 19 May 2013 at 15:33 GMT
Hi Rolf.

I'd actually start with Samyang 8mm/f3.5 before I'd be looking for a better glass. In PTGui set the lens to 9mm.

In case you go for another lens, I'd go for the 8-15mm Canon instead of Sigma 8mm.

Your promoteDealer: www.videobewerken.nl/search.php?search_query=prom...

Heinz
alert moderator
Rolf Bieze

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 16:13 GMT
Thanks Hindenhaag!

I currently own the samyang, and for the money it definitely gives good quality, but at the end I want to go for the best smile
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 19:02 GMT
A cheaper alternative to the 8-15mm would be the now discontinued Canon 15mm fisheye or the Sigma 15mm fisheye. Both are good lenses. An alternative to the Promote would be the relatively new CamRanger. I haven't used either product so I cannot comment further.

John
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 19:51 GMT
Hi Rolf,
I was looking for an inexpensive way to enhance my bracketing capability and found magiclantern. I'm very happy using it on my 5dm2.
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
Rolf Bieze

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:26 GMT
@John Houghton: Thanks for the camranger tip, first look makes me curious wink

@burake: I also thought about the magiclantern firmware. On the 5DM2 you can leave the firmware on the camera? I read about the 7D that you have to leave the firmware on the CF card and flash it to the camera everytime you want to use it?
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:12 GMT
Rolf magiclantern is by using a 5dm2 also on the CF card. It operates from there. And when formatting the card the ML is not effected - unless you wish so and uninstall the ML. A great tool with many differnet functions which I didn't discover/didn't need yet. But I recently did also timelapse with ML. I can only recommend it.
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
Rolf Bieze

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:53 GMT
updated: 22 May 2013 at 9:02 GMT
Thanks for the info burake.

You shoot with the 5dm2 with the canon 8-15mm. because of the fullframe you have to edit the pictures before stitching when shooting at 8mm? or do you shoot all your pano's at 15mm?

I'm looking for a second body now and have some nice occassions at a camerashop nearby, options are a canon 7D and a canon 5dm2. When using the magiclantern firmware I better can spend the money for a second body! smile

Are the differences an big advantage to choose for the 5dm2? more pixels, fullframe?

(Also a 60D, but then I can better go for the 7D)
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 16
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last