Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 22
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Panoavia

Another amateuer needs advice please
Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 19:58 GMT
Hi there,

first of all I would like to introduce myself before I start bothering you with stupid questions. I am a pilot and an aviaion enthusiast who happens to do some plane spotting once in a while but nothing professional so far.

Somehow I saw a virtual tour of a challenger coorporate jet and was blown away by the crisp picture. Immediatley I started researching how this was made and now found this forum.

My goal would be to be able to produce something similiar professional at the end of the journey and maybe even offer this as a service to some coorporate jet companies. I understand that this will take a lot of effort to get to this point and not happen overnight so please dont shoot me down for my naivety. blush

Now to my questions. How do I start out and which equipment should I consider. My budget would be around 2000 $. Through reading I found out a Nikon D7000 with a Sigma 8mm or Samyang 8mm would be a good option. The Tripod should be Noda Ninja 3Mk II or 5.

Cheers smile
alert moderator
vrbali

Re: Another amateuer needs advice please
Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:25 GMT
Welcome to the forum Panoavia.

First of all, I learned that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers wink

Can you share a link to the virtual tour that you liked so much?

The setup with the D7000 and Sig 8mm or Samyang 8mm will be good to go and beside a (Nodal Ninja) tripod head, you also will need the tripod itself. Beside that you will have to buy some software to stitch the images and/or create a virtual tour with the resulting images.
Your budget (USD2000) for the setup described is a bit tight I am afraid.

VRBali
www.virtualvisitbali.com
alert moderator
MetroRuss

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 7:08 GMT
updated: 16 Apr 2013 at 7:11 GMT
Hi Panoavia,

I am just a little ahead of you in regards to equipment. Having a hard time deciding between Kolor/panotour pro, Pano2VR and Flashificator.

Here is what I have spent so far.

$700 Sony A57 with 18-55 kit lens
$140 Manfrotto tripod
$125 Minolta 70-210
$330 Samyang 8mm fisheye
$350 Misc: Bag, lens cleaning, rocket blower, back up batts, screen protector, bubble level, IR shutter release,
$200 ptGUI pro
Stuck on fence right now in regards to publishing software but the budget is $600 for the software and the branding license,
$300 a pano head that I am still undecided about. But I am fairly certain it will be a NN4 with a nadir adapter so I can do interiors and higher res outdoor landscapes.

I think it will be at $2750 when all is accounted for.
But you wont need the extra zoom lens or the branding license so thats about $425 less than my total. and +/- your Nikon camera cost.

I hope this helps to give you an idea of approx budget.

To everyone here, any tips on publishing software and pano head will be greatly appreciated!!
Looking to be smart device friendly i/os/android and looking for lots of funtionality to build some sites like this one. vatour-dev.com/system/tours/aoc/capitolbldg/tourf...
Sound, embedded movies, etc will be gravy on top.

I liked your site vrbali. We hope to be fortunate enough to travel there someday.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:04 GMT
updated: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:12 GMT

MetroRuss said:

.Having a hard time deciding between Kolor/panotour pro, Pano2VR and Flashificator.

$300 a pano head that I am still undecided about. But I am fairly certain it will be a NN4 with a nadir adapter so I can do interiors and higher res outdoor landscapes.

To everyone here, any tips on publishing software and pano head will be greatly appreciated!!
Looking to be smart device friendly i/os/android and looking for lots of funtionality to build some sites like this one. vatour-dev.com/system/tours/aoc/capitolbldg/tourf...
Sound, embedded movies, etc will be gravy on top.

NN4 will be fine for the fisheye and focal lengths up the about 100mm (35mm equiv). as decribed on the NN web site:

"NN4 is designed to accommodate a wide range of lenses from ultra wide to 100mm focal lengths (35mm equivalent focal length assuming 25% overlap)"

That's down to it having fixed 15 degree increment locks on the pitch axis rotator.

Will you want to shoot panos at a longer focal length? Beyond that (and probably well before that) I'd choose a robotic pano head.

As for tour publishing software...the example you cited was created using Flashificator/Flash Panorama Player.

I mainly use Kolor's Panotour Pro and if you are wanting strong support for iDevices (and Android mobiles and tablets in future) then that's what I would advocate.

As you are probably aware Panotour Pro is a GUI front-end code generator for the krpano Flash and HTML5 Panorama Viewers.

AFAIK krpano was the first VT software to support multi-resolution tiling and the first to support iDevices and there's no sign of that lead in innovation slowing down as you can see from the recent release of krpano 1.16:
krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID...

Support for the many and varied Android platforms is of course a fast evolving 'art'.

Kolor has announced that Panotour Pro V. 2.x, which is expected to offer more features and functionality than the current V. 1.8 whilst retaining ease of use, will be demonstrated publicly for the first time at the IVRPA meeting in Iceland in June:
www.kolor.com/blog-en/2013/04/11/kolor-panotour-p...

Andrew
alert moderator
Panoavia

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 23:10 GMT
updated: 16 Apr 2013 at 23:12 GMT
I have done some more research and think that this would better fit into my budget.

Nikon D5100
Samyang 8mm
Ninja 3

How much worst is the samyang compared to the sigma? Will I be able to produce something like this with the above setup.

www.eyerevolution.co.uk/tours/vistajet/challenger...
alert moderator
OrmarT

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 23:46 GMT
Shoot with D5100 and Samyang 8mm
www.ormar.info/pano/loewenschede-torn/index.html
alert moderator
MetroRuss

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:45 GMT
Hi Andrew,

I have sent you a pm, I should not have hijacked the thread. Sorry OP
alert moderator
vrbali

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 5:56 GMT
With the Samyang 8mm you have to shoot a few more images per 360 degrees but the result will be of better quality then with the Sigma 8mm as the Samyang covers the whole frame on a cropped sensor (and thus delivers higher resolution).

The Samyang doesn't have auto focus, but you don't want to be in any auto mode for 360s anyway. Also there will be no Exif information about the lens in the image files.
The Samyang is also marketed under the Falcon, Bower, Walimex and Rokinon brand names.

www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=...

Myself using the Sigma 8mm at this moment but would probably have bought a Samyang 8mm when I would start over again (I am not disappointed with the Sigma).

VRBali
www.virtualvisitbali.com
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 7:13 GMT

vrbali said:

With the Samyang 8mm ...Also there will be no Exif information about the lens in the image files.

If you get the version of the Samyang for Nikon with the AE chip then you will have EXIF data I believe.

The D5100 will be fine for shooting panos. And with the D5200 now in the shops look for a very attractive price on the D5100!

Consider getting the Nadir Adapter for the NN3.

Get a cheapie clone IR remote too - Ebay has many.

And I wish I had a leveling centre column for my Manfrotto tripod.

Andrew
alert moderator
Jayme

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 7:38 GMT
aha~~I have similar question with you months ago, but now I can tell you, it is very easy. As long as you have a panorama maker, you can make whatever panoramic photos you like, www.arcsoft.com/topics/panorama-maker/stitch-phot... I recommend the panorama maker strongly, it is easu to use and professional, believe me, you will adjust it quickly, importantly, it can create 3d panorama!www.arcsoft.com/topics/panorama-maker/how-to-crea...
alert moderator
Panoavia

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:01 GMT
Just ordered the stuff mentioned above. Now I am looking out for the software. Thats probably a topic which can not be answered with one sentence. Can somebody point me in the right direction?
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:11 GMT
updated: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:17 GMT
I can provide an answer to your question in one sentence; I recommend Kolor's Autopano Giga for stitching and Panotour Pro for creating virtual tours.

Andrew
alert moderator
Panoavia

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:32 GMT
Great thank you! I thought the answer before was for Russ blush

Btw someone offered me a Nikon D40 for a very cheap price. How big would be the difference in the result between the D40 and the D5100?
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:43 GMT
updated: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:44 GMT

Panoavia said:

Great thank you! I thought the answer before was for Russ blush

Same answer for both of you.

Btw someone offered me a Nikon D40 for a very cheap price.

How cheap is 'very cheap' and how many shutter activations deos it have recorded?

How big would be the difference in the result between the D40 and the D5100?

Substantial. Some key differences - The D40 has a 5MP CCD sensor, and the D5100 has a 16.2MP CMOS sensor and much superior low light capability. The D5100 has AEB and the D40 doesn't. I believe the D5100 has front and rear IR sensors for remote, the D40 has front sensor. The D5100 can shoot video the D40 cannot. The D5100 has LiveView the D40 doesn't. The D5100 has side hinged articulating LCD the D40 doesn't.

I'd happily swap my D40 for a D5100. wink

Andrew
alert moderator
Panoavia

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 22:52 GMT
The D40 was for 100$. I was wondering why it so cheap. Thanks for your effort you helped me out quite a bit. laugh
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 22
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last