Forum: Q & A

Thread: Newbie post

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
sjimmymac

Newbie post
Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 23:03 GMT
Just completed my first indoor pano! Looks pretty good but am concerned about shooting clear skies outside. I have read articles about this issue here, templates, manual, etc. couldn't I just tilt up 10 degrees then shoot additional nadirs so the sky is not an issue?

NN R1 Tokina 10-17 fisheye Canon 7D
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: Newbie post
Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 5:51 GMT
Basically I class the NNR1 the incorrect panohead for "your" combination. That said, it can be used to shoot the Zenith (not nadir) up shot. Understand though the NNR1 does not keep the (NPP). But because of the fact you are talking clear sky there will be little to nothing to assign control point to anyway. As a result of this you will need to manipulate the Zenith shot into position using the PTGui panorama editor. The NNR1 can also be used to shoot Zenith and Nadir shots but you will need to use PTGui's View Point Correction (VPC) and this will limit your shots and generally make the processing harder than required.

Really using this Camera/Lens combination you should have selected the NN3/4/5 or M series panohead where the NPP is kept throughout the tilt arc. The NNR1 is better suited to camera/lens combinations shooting circle or partial cropped circular fisheye images. I.E: Sigma 8mm on your camera.

All panoramas should be shot with the camera in (M) manual mode. Keeping all settings exactly the same. Shutter Speed, Focus, Aperture, White Balance and ISO.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 11:33 GMT
There is an R1-S in the meantime where you can shoot nadir and Zenith in NPP.

With the R1 you may shoot 2 zenith shoots at 60° 180° visa versa to get connection to the horizon.

Or you may use the "Align to grid Function" in PTGuiPro to do your job in case you have more shots.

Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:14 GMT

hindenhaag said:

There is an R1-S in the meantime where you can shoot nadir and Zenith in NPP.

I think you'll find Nick named it the RS-1 not R1-S against my better judgment. Whatever the case, it is another option over the NNR1 panohead using a non circular fisheye.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
sjimmymac

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 23:34 GMT
Thanks for the advice. It blows me away that people can do handheld panos and the combo I have is suboptimal. I'll keep plugging away at it.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 9:57 GMT

sjimmymac said:

It blows me away that ...the combo I have is suboptimal.

It seems quite clear from the produt description on the Nodal Ninja web site that the R1/10 series of pano heads are designed only for shooting single row panos:

shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-r1-adjustable-tilt-r...

"R1 Adjustable Tilt Ring Mount Package. A single row pano head designed for use with circular and full frame fisheye lenses such as the Sigma 8mm or Nikon 10.5mm lens along with many other popular fisheye lenses."

Andrew
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 10:32 GMT

mediavets said:

"R1 Adjustable Tilt Ring Mount Package. A single row pano head designed for use with circular and full frame fisheye lenses such as the Sigma 8mm or Nikon 10.5mm lens along with many other popular fisheye lenses."

Andrew
Even placing the Nikon 10.5mm in that sentence is misleading. If it has it's sun hood shaved and fitted to a full frame camera then it's fine. Same deal for the Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye.

It leaves newbie consumers confused.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:36 GMT
updated: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:42 GMT

Smooth said:

mediavets said:

Andrew
Even placing the Nikon 10.5mm in that sentence is misleading. If it has it's sun hood shaved and fitted to a full frame camera then it's fine. Same deal for the Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye.

It leaves newbie consumers confused.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au

I agree; it can easily seem confuse potential customers.

Of course it's fine to use a fullframe fisheye, like the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye, IF you don't wish to shoot spherical panos with a VFOV of 180 degrees - but just a cylindrical pano without full coverage of zenith and nadir.

If they explained that in more detail it would be less confusing and they could compare and contrast with the RS-1 and NN3/4 and M1/2.

Andrew
alert moderator
sjimmymac

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 22:41 GMT
Again, thanks for all the dialogue. It really wasn't clear to me this head was not the best solution for me but I definitely found the right place for great information!
alert moderator
Bill Bailey
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 16:12 GMT
Hi sjimmymac,
I see you are located in the US. If you recently made your purchase please contact us directly for alternate solutions (480-659-9899 M-T-TH-F 8am-12pm MST).

Also we want to thank others for your assistance with this customer - we have made changes to the listing in question to better clarify product use.
Bill
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 17:07 GMT
sjimmymac,

Contact Bill and let him assist you will the product you should have purchased. Nodal Ninja customer service will see you right.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
sjimmymac

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 23:45 GMT
Just finished speaking with Bill Bailey from Nodal Ninja. Super knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks everyone.
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 7:21 GMT
Congratulations!!

Bill will help you out of your problems. That's what Nodal Ninja stands for!

Heinz
alert moderator