Search the forums:
messages 16-30 of 61
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 5 next next last
Author  Message 
DennisS

Re: New Android smart phones and Flash
Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 22:10 GMT
Damn.

Just when I think I finally have the whole iDevice thing almost figured out, I go out and purchase an Android device, which does not perform the same across different models from the same manufacturer!

I guess I will get my stuff to work on my equipment and if it works on other devices (by coincidence, not design) than that will be a bonus.

(and I am a programmer to boot!)
alert moderator
jimmyd

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 18:41 GMT
Denis,

I too have done extensive research on this subject. It is not entirely true to say this is a model specific issue as it is an Android OS thing. For example, according to my research, Android OS Honeycomb and previous carried flash and KrPano based tours with flash (and associated tiling) worked well. The issue is later versions of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) and the newest Jelly Bean OS have moved away from Flash entirely. Of course, all new Android devices will come with ICS (which quickly prompts a push to update to 4.1) or Jelly Bean. Adversely, even older Android devices with Flash may lose Flash ability once the OS is updated.

My personal experience: I have a new Asus TF700 Infinity tablet. No flash. That is until I side loaded Flash by using the APK file of an older supported version and now I view all that content fine through the "Boat" browser and sometimes the default browser believe it or not.

That said, for all of us "selling" VT solutions we can't expect the average user to go through this so I am just honest with my clients. I tell them that currently they are still getting traction (via Flash) on 70% of Android *based on recent reports on Android versions currently installed* but that number will slowly erode to zero until developers figure out a solution. Simply put, if GameSoft doesn't have a solution yet, how is an independent small business going to develop one?

My larger question for the group is this:

Does HTML5 360 player content (using KRPano) work on Android OS at any level? I don't think the solution is to have the code force HTML5 always when Flash is not available. Otherwise, we all have already done so. Of course iOS works great on HTML5 doing just that. Apple is single handedly created the HTML5 demand before it was ready to be used in the capacity it now finds itself. However, I don't believe HTML5 (please understand I am speaking to interactive tour content) is compatible with Android OS yet? Am I a wrong?

It was my interpretation that Android has NOT decided to openly support HTML5 as a replacement for Flash. Would love to hear the input of those in the know. Is there any way I can code KRPano tours to load the HTML5 tours on Android and actually have the tours work on Android OS?

James
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 20:39 GMT
Just recieved my new phone today. Samsung Galaxy S3. All my panoramas that are designed for mobile viewing actually work. The phone picks up the HTML5 version. One problem at this point is the display is so very twitchy. I need to figure out how to dial down the sensitivity of the gyro. Another issue is that my floating logo behaves funny when you tilt down then back up. Otherwise the panos look and behave just fine. Pinching and spreading for the zoom work. I was not really looking forward to reworking all my panoramas just to get them to play on this phone.
alert moderator
jimmyd

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 21:46 GMT
Denis,

I'm confused. How did you get the Android phone to pick up the HTML5 version? Doesn't KRPano when listing for Android force Flash? Otherwise, what is the issue from the start? We could all force HTML5 when Flash is not available. Problem solved, but I didn't think it was working that way.

Also, VERY Important...please check your OS version before you allow your new phone to push update. Remember, the S3 used to have full Flash support under the main version of ICS (4.0). It is very possible you are seeing Flash because it was supported when the phone was boxed. Eventually it will try to push Jelly Bean. 4.1, bye bye Flash.

TBO, I am starting to confuse myself with all this. My friend as a new S3 as well. And my tours DO NOT load as his version s3 does not support Flash and the KRPano code does not push HTML5 except for Apple although Android OS is listed in the detect portion.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 22:35 GMT

jimmyd said:

Denis,

I'm confused. How did you get the Android phone to pick up the HTML5 version? Doesn't KRPano when listing for Android force Flash? Otherwise, what is the issue from the start? We could all force HTML5 when Flash is not available. Problem solved, but I didn't think it was working that way.

This seems to relate to the issue:

krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&thread...

Andrew
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 23:17 GMT
My S3 is running Adnroid 4.1.1 right out of the box. I think the demo phone I was playing with in the store had an older version that included flash. The original problem was the demo phone did not play my panos correctly. 4.1.1 works fine with the HTML5 output from Pano2VR.
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:17 GMT

jimmyd said:

Denis,

Also, VERY Important...please check your OS version before you allow your new phone to push update. Remember, the S3 used to have full Flash support under the main version of ICS (4.0). It is very possible you are seeing Flash because it was supported when the phone was boxed. Eventually it will try to push Jelly Bean. 4.1, bye bye Flash.

TBO, I am starting to confuse myself with all this. My friend as a new S3 as well. And my tours DO NOT load as his version s3 does not support Flash and the KRPano code does not push HTML5 except for Apple although Android OS is listed in the detect portion.

AsI said there is a large difference depending on vendor. If you have aGoogle Nexus you will have Chrome as the default browser and the current version does not support flash or HTML5 panoramas. You can update to the Chrome beta which now works fine with my Krpano tours with 1024 pixels cubefaces.

If you have a Samsung you will probably have a Safari Webkit browser which also works both with HTML5 and flash if you download the flash APK from Adobe and install it manually.
My Samsung Note 2 with 4.1.1 browser is also demanding flash if you set preferences to load as "Desktop"
The problem is that the scaling of elements like popup texts or navigation buttons is just wrong and make my advanced tours look really bad and difficult to use on the Mobiles.
See my report at KRpano. www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&th...

Klaus has promised a solution for this.

You can see my latest tour here,
virtualdenmark.dk/dnm/kina/

Note there are still some things missing in it. The navigation guide is not updated yet for this tour which is now also suporting english.

Hans
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:32 GMT
My next task is to be able to display my panoramas directly on my phone. I was able to do it on my iPod Touch using GoodReader but cannot find an Android version.

I have tried FireFox, Opera and the built in Android player. Each had their own issues and limitations.

What is the recommended way to display panoramas stored locally on an Android 4.x phone?
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:45 GMT

DennisS said:

My next task is to be able to display my panoramas directly on my phone. I was able to do it on my iPod Touch using GoodReader but cannot find an Android version.

I have tried FireFox, Opera and the built in Android player. Each had their own issues and limitations.

What is the recommended way to display panoramas stored locally on an Android 4.x phone?

Easy

Copy your panos. for example the full website to your SD card.

In your browser write like this, just exchange the last part to your name of the folder.

file:///storage/extSdCard/panos/index.html

Bookmark the link and you can always access it.

Hans
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:08 GMT
Did not work.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 at 4:25 GMT
It should have.

Running files locally off you micro SD card on your Android phone is really no different to viewing them locally on a PC. Keep the file structure and run the .html file via the browser (of choice) or run the .swf file if you have a .swf player installed.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 at 4:49 GMT
Sorry to spoil the party, but on my Galaxy S3 I get a network error. There is no flash version, only the HTML5 version. It is the exact same code as the version on my web site. I copied over the files and entered the local address. The browser found the files but refuses to run. Flash does not work and will not load on this phone.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 at 5:12 GMT
HTML5 devil sucks it is an incomplete rules moving platform that people will forever be chasing their tails. 99+ percent of questions now asked on panorama forums has to do with HTML5 and why crap doesn't work! This is why Thomas had to introduce into Pano2VR it's own server. The local error is not true to all browsers so I suggest you try another browser.

I've given up caring about panoramas on mobile devices, I have a life to live.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 at 6:03 GMT
updated: 1 Feb 2013 at 6:04 GMT

Smooth said:

HTML5 devil sucks I've given up caring about panoramas on mobile devices... [stuff deleted]

I have a life to live.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au

Finally, someone makes sense. HTML5 -- or whatever you think you are using when you use Javascript -- has worse deployment problems than Java.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 at 6:44 GMT
I thought fair enough when mobile devices were first introduced. I figured there could be a market for it and something to value add for my customers. Pretty cool to see a panorama working on your phone/tablet etc. But the reality is I hardly ever use it, when I do it's to show somebody who is green about panoramas and doesn't understand. So you pop the phone out and give them a play. Nothing works correctly, things are tiny and typically the thing dies or freezes and is hardly a good advertisement for interactive panoramas and that's if the person can get any control over finger wiping and gestures. You always end up embarrassed and telling them the experience is far better suited to a "proper" computer and a controllable mouse.

I'm still to understand why Flash mobile was killed off when it worked perfectly fine if you scaled down the images and the mobile CPU and RAM are always increasing in size and performance. Nor do I understand the fascination with HTML5 devil. It so far offers absolutely nothing of benefit to me personally and I'm unclear on what it supposedly offers to anybody else?

What a native video or music player that is different from one browser to another? Beneficial? Wow!

Really, it is all still a power war between developers via brand and platform. A stupid shake up that wasn't needed, wanted or warranted and still doesn't bloody work after 2+ years. At the end of the day there is only one company to blame and that is clearly APPLE (the mover of goal posts). So far it's created many a headache, added to workflow and flooded forums with questions, demands and requests. For what? All the things Flash can already do - only better!

</end rant>

I'm happy to hear where you feel the benefits are with HTML5 devil

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
messages 16-30 of 61
first prev prev 1 2 3 4 5 next next last