Forum: Q & A

Thread: How to create a high quality one-shot mirror ?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Miks

How to create a high quality one-shot mirror ?
Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 17:44 GMT
Hello,

I'm painfully aware that "high quality" and "one-shot mirror" probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence, but I'm trying to determine if it's possible to extract more quality out of a custom one-shot setup.

I plan to build larger one-shot mirror, about the size of a volleyball. I have friends who build their own telescope mirrors and they can help me with this.

What I would want to know is this: does the larger mirror size significantly improve the image quality ? If so, how big is big enough ?

Please feel free to speculate, I know there is no definitive answer. Any feedback is welcome. smile

Cheers,

Miks
alert moderator
Judy-A

Re: How to create a high quality one-shot mirror ?
Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 23:13 GMT
Miks, the quality of the mirror is not the only quality aspect of one-shot mirror panoramas.

The problem is image size. You are trying to capture the entire 360˚ in a single, severely distorted image. That’s not enough resolution to show an entire scene in any detail.

Judy
alert moderator
No One

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 23:25 GMT

Miks said:

does the larger mirror size significantly improve the image quality ? If so, how big is big enough ?

Miks

No, it does not. The quality of the mirror, it's aspect and camera, and lens used to capture the mirror have a much more significant impact on quality. But unless you're willing to spent out the wayzoo (technical term for extreme money) you'll never produce a mirror that can come close to even a kit lens. Mirrors on a stick have a place in the 360 world but it's a fools dream to think you could ever come close to equal with a stitched version done from a modern lens.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 15:25 GMT
No matter how you look at it, a 1 shot setup is taking a picture of a reflection off of a mirror. You then take special software to warp and twist a donut shaped picture.

You are fighting the basic design of this concept if you want high quality. Shooting 3 shots around with a fisheye lens will provide a much higher quality panorama than you will ever get with a one shot system. Just the "nature of the beast".

BTW: I would not want to haul around a vollyball sized mirror. Bigger is not always better

alert moderator
burake

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 15:45 GMT
I was informed by the owner of this restaurant that the VT was made with panos shot with the 0-360...I always read that the quality of this lens is not good..It was interesting to see a concrete example:

www.mekan360.com/360fx_aynalirestaurant-anasayfa....
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 16:33 GMT
I don't think this was shot with a one shot mirror lens. In the few panos that I looked at the Zenith and Nadir are covered. There are also stiching errors. One shots usually generate a donut shaped picture that is warped around. The field of view never includes the Zenith and Nadir.

I would be interested in knowing exactly which lens was used.
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 19:15 GMT
updated: 28 Jan 2013 at 19:15 GMT
100% guaranteed NOT shot with 0-360 or any other similar mirror system (mirror - not lens).

There are stitching errors, big and small, nadir and zenith, both of which are absent in the mirrors, since the camera is pointing up towards the mirror, that covers the zenith, and obviously the camera itself covers the view towards the nadir.

Flashificator Users Gallery
flashificator.com/gallery.htm
alert moderator
No One

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 20:10 GMT
It actually is possible to take full 360 by 180's with a mirror system, but why would you since it requires basically taking more than one shot, usually 4. At that point you've removed the only benefit from a mirror system - one shot and still are left with much less quality than you get from a real lens.

Robert
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 21:20 GMT
The owner of the restaurant told me that he was surprised that the man did only one shot in each scene...As he asked the photographer he was told that this was a special lens and there's no need for more then one shot...But right, there are stitching errors...I'll ask him again...
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 21:57 GMT

burake said:

The owner of the restaurant told me that he was surprised that the man did only one shot in each scene.

Perhaps the photographer was using a four-in-one system like the iStar, and the restaurant owner thought it was a single camera. The nadir seems to have been patched by cloning.

shop.nodalninja.com/istar/

Whatever system was used, they left behind a lot of CA.
alert moderator