Forum: Q & A

Thread: Canon 8-15mm on a NN3 question/problem...

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
jimmyd

Canon 8-15mm on a NN3 question/problem...
Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 16:08 GMT
Hello All,

So I picked up the Canon 8-15mm over the holidays and have begun testing/syncing it for my rig (7D/NN3) as replacement to my Sigma 8mm 3.5.

As per the a few reviews on the lens it is determined that the vertical NPP point to the method I am shooting (@9mm, 6 shots around) should be forward passed the red band and white text where the lens casing 'juts' out slightly. On the NN3 this puts me at 10,1 on the vertical arm. All is fine until I try and swoop down for the zenith shot. There is not enough clearance for the base of the 7D to get in the full zenith position. I AM rigging the unit with the arm to the right as to make sure I am using the shorter end of the 7D base on the swing down.

Now, I know the obvious conclusion that has already been discussed I would imagine. The NN3 is too small for some setups. I know that moving to a NN5L or NN4 would give me a longer vertical support and more clearance. That said, I have a shoot early next week and not enough time to get another panohead in hand.

For the Zenith, the camera still tilts upwards to 55 degrees before it is obstructed by the base. So considering the size of the hole left by shooting at 8-10mm (1.6 cropped sensor)I should have plenty of coverage to fill that area. Or so I assume? My question is this:

1) Will shooting the zenith at 55 degrees create a stitching issue if there are objects directly above me crossing into the area where the zenith needs to fill? Think patterned ceilings, tiles, fans, or A-Frame construction facilities. Or will PTGui parse all that out as long as I stay in the registered positions on the NN3?

I plan on doing a series of tests today (hopefully on some down time this w/e) but would love your guys advice on the matter.

2) Secondary Question: With a 1.6 cropped sensor, like the 7D, shooting at 10mm, do you think still possible to capture the entire single row with suitable overlap on one rotation? I'd like to get as much sharpness and detail as possible on this next set. I figured pushing to 10mm might help my sharpness DOF to get optimal results throughout the pano.

Thanks....
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: Canon 8-15mm on a NN3 question/problem...
Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 3:02 GMT
You will be fine shooting 2x Zenith images 180 degrees opposed with your maximum tilt.

Adding a Nodal Ninja nadir adapter will increase the camera hight allowing for more tilt. See store.nodalninja.com/index.php/nadir-adapter-for-...

Shooting at 10mm will be fine, but the Zenith shots will probably require the added height of the nadir adapter. Again, you will still need 2x Zenith shots 180 degrees opposed.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:33 GMT
updated: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:35 GMT
Hi Jimmy,

www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc_de.htm
@zoom 10 you have an overlap of 31% you can fill in your data manually : 10mm instead of 10.5 preselection.

The Nadir Adapter will raise the vertical by 20mm on NN3, NN4, NN5.
On NN3, you have to reduce the LRS = Lower Rail Setting by 6mm because an offset of the Nadir Adapter Reference Point to that one of vertical rail on NN3.
www.nodalninja.com/qr/accessories/nadir-adapter-f...

Sometimes it might help you to loosen CP-2 on the upper rail and move camera closer to upper rotator. Then move upper rail to -90° position, and try to replace CP-2 to old URS = Upper Rail Setting. Swinging in to -90° Position needs more clearance to the lower rail than "letting it fall down to URS in Zenith position"

Would be nice to get to know about your results.

Kind regards,
Heinz
alert moderator
jimmyd

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 16:07 GMT
Smooth and Heinz,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have found that around 10mm is the max zoom setting for the 7D before multi-row would need to be initiated. Consequentially, it also seems to be the best overlap ratio in my tests in PTGui as it created the tightest control points.

It is comforting to hear that at 60 degree vertical the two opposed 180 shots give me the coverage I need for objects located in the zenith. Although not ideal, I'm happy to hear I'll be good.

Smooth, maybe I understood you wrong, are you saying that even with the adapter and 90 degree zenith clearance that I will still need 2 - 90 degree shots, opposed?

Heinz, thanks as well for the adapter hints and readjustment advice. $35 is cheaper than purchasing a new rig, but I think in the end it may behoove me to step up to an R1 unit since NN has a ring fitting for the 8-15mm. With this new (heavier, larger) I feel the swing/weight tilt of this combination may become problematic, over time.

As mentioned, I am in a pinch because having a shoot tomorrow didn't allow for a another solution outside the NN3 on short notice. I am glad to hear that simply taking to 180 shots at 60 degrees should cover the job as a temporary solution.

I'll let you know how things play out.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 17:38 GMT

jimmyd said:

Smooth, maybe I understood you wrong, are you saying that even with the adapter and 90 degree zenith clearance that I will still need 2 - 90 degree shots, opposed?
No, I'm not saying that. You are unlikely to get +90 even with the Nadir Adapter fitted. You will always be better suited to two Zenith shots at +60 / +70° (180 degrees opposed). This will capture more likely area for better control point placement and offer the sharpest part of the lens.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 18:54 GMT

jimmyd said:

Heinz, thanks as well for the adapter hints and readjustment advice. $35 is cheaper than purchasing a new rig, but I think in the end it may behoove me to step up to an R1 unit since NN has a ring fitting for the 8-15mm. With this new (heavier, larger) I feel the swing/weight tilt of this combination may become problematic, over time.

As I understand it the NN R1 doesn't maintain NPP when you increase pitch. It's essentially a single row pano head.

Andrew
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:26 GMT
In case you like to use the lens ring and take Zenith and Nadir shots in NPP,

you should step over to R1-S. Small tiny rig, can be used with Nadir Adapter as well.

You use the normal lens ring, which is mounted to the upper rotator clamp.

www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?5000-Ask-...

Feel free to ask.

Heinz
alert moderator
jimmyd

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 18:50 GMT
Just wanted to update you guys that I had the project in question go off without a hitch. With the new 8-15mm, set at 10mm with 6 around, one down, 2 up at 60 degrees (due to the NN3 clearance issues) I was able to get a flawless stitch. Even in auto settings I had a max 3, minimum under 1 pixel control point read. Once I applied the typical manual tweaking each pano resulted in a max of 2 and average under 0.5 pixels.

Thanks guys for all your advice! Much appreciated.

Cheers,

James
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 at 17:57 GMT
Hi James,

Thx for letting us know about your efforts.

Enjoy your equipment.

Cheers,
Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 at 7:44 GMT
Glad you got a result. Thanks for letting us know.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator