Forum: Q & A

Thread: Which lens for immersive (QTVR) panoramas with a Canon 7D?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
zicitron

Which lens for immersive (QTVR) panoramas with a Canon 7D?
Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 15:53 GMT
Hi all,

I'm new to panorama photography but not to photography itself. I am really impressed by some panos I've seen over here and on some other websites. Now, I want to get my feet wet and try the thing!

First of all, my current equipment is a Canon EOS 7D and a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens. I've tried some basic panoramas and things have gone quite well. I understand that I need to get a pano head for better pano shots. So that's on my shopping list!

My main question is the following: I would also like to do a lot of QTVR panoramas and I've read somewhere that I will need a fish-eye lens for that (fixed focal lens). How far is that true? Won't my Tamron 17-50mm (27-80mm in 35mm terms) live up to the task? Or is it essential that I invest in a fish-eye lens? I would rather spend that money on a panorama head (like the Nodal Ninja), unless I have no choice than to buy the fish-eye lens!

Also, what do you people out there on a Mac use as the software of choice for creating QTVRs?

regards,
Ali
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Re: Which lens for immersive (QTVR) panoramas with a Canon 7D?
Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 16:12 GMT
Hi Ali, a fish-eye will help you to reduce the number of shots needed for a panorama at expense of resolution/final size in pixels e.g. from around 30 photos to 4-6 photos for a full spherical panorama.

cheers
Dorin
alert moderator
vrbali

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 4:50 GMT
Additionally, it is virtually impossible to make a panorama of dynamic scenes with a normal (rectilinear) zoom lens as things (people etc) are moving around while you are photographing.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 6:34 GMT
The Canon 7D is an excellent camera for VR Panorama photography and sure you can use the Tamron 17-50mm lens to shot them. But as Dorin says you will need many more images to complete the scene. Whilst this is no real issue in a totally static scene it is far from ideal when a scene has light changes or moving objects.

On top of that, the longer the focal length the more shots required and as a result the larger amount of resolution. More resolution is typically not used with relatively slow Internet download speeds. So even when you capture hight resolution you end up having a slow workflow and file sizes you end up reducing for Internet display anyway.

Note: We are talking real 360x180 Spherical Panorama scenes here. Not some limited view "neck brace" partial cylindrical panorama views.

There are many Fisheye lens options for the APS-C sensor used with the Canon 7D.

Sigma f/3.5 8mm
Samyang f/3.5 8mm (and it's re-badged variants)
Sigma 10mm
Tokina 10-17mm Zoom
Canon f/4.0 8-15mm Zoom
Sigma 15mm

Among many other options.

Also, QTVR (Quicktime) is dead and not a standard to aspire to. These days you publish in Flash or if mobile matters to you then you will deal to deal with the flakey, troublesome and still developing HTML5 devil format.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
samadi

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 3:18 GMT
Hi DorinDxn or Ali
Gave a good description of Mr. Smoot
Fisheye lens for better handling the 4-6 number of shots needed for a panorama
panohead base is necessary
The next step is a robust software
The next step is to gain experience
When you have the top 4 will be able to make it.
I recommend reading many articles about it now
Success is never too late to start
Less successful men have started
Sincerely Hossein Samadi
smile samady.ir
mypano360.ir
alert moderator