Forum: Q & A

Thread: Aerial panos, camera arrays, outside of plane/chopper?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Messlah

Aerial panos, camera arrays, outside of plane/chopper?
Posted: 7 Jan 2013 at 7:34 GMT
Hey all just wondering if anyone knows how these panos were captured.

mobile.news.com.au/travel/australia/australian-ci...

Its says an array of 5dm2's, does that mean 3 or 6 cameras or more? Can you buy a prebiilt product that holds the array?
What sort of lense would be used?
I presume the cameras would hang outside, but would all be connected or networked to a screen the camera operator sees inside the plane/chopper etc
I would imagine there would be a lot of post processing photoshopping involved etc.

Any help or insight would be great
alert moderator
Bob Stone

Re: Aerial panos, camera arrays, outside of plane/chopper?
Posted: 7 Jan 2013 at 20:49 GMT
The link provides very pixelated photos (not 360° panos, at least not for me) so I don't know how they were done.

There is another very popular Russian site that shoots 360° panos from a helicopter though. www.airpano.ru/360Degree-VirtualTour.php?3D=Taj-M...

I think they do it with an array of four full frame cameras and likely use the Sigma 8mm or similar. I think the device they use to tie all the cameras together so they take all four photos simultaneously is a DIY device, am not aware of one that can be purchased outright but maybe someone else can help?

I'm guessing the array hangs beneath the chopper, perhaps dangling at the end of a pole so the chopper can be removed in post.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 at 2:28 GMT
What you are showing is screen grabs of John Coleman's work from www.pixelcase.com.au John (Byron) has been a member here on this site for a long time. Based in Western Australia (ex pat Pom). John's old site is/was www.flash360.net

Not sure what pano bracket John is using but you have options from www.agnos.com with the MrotatorR series tinyurl.com/agnos-R

Anyway, hope that helps a little.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 at 3:57 GMT
John Coleman should read John Colebrook in my above post (My mistake).

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator