Thread: Blending quality of floors in the corners - can you help

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
sebo2000

Blending quality of floors in the corners - can you help
Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 18:27 GMT
Hi Guys,

I’m quite new at 360 panos, I’m fascinated by them and would love to shoot more, have plan to do only panos smile

I have one question about bloory/less “crisp” floors on almost all my panos. I have no clue what is causing it, it seems like after effect of blending, and I’m looking for advice how to shoot images in order to avoid it.

Here are my two test panos: zebase.com/pano/test/

In the kitchen you can see by the cooktop, floor close to the fridge is nice, and half way through gets all blurry. More visible on pano of the living room, I’m quite happy with floor under camera but corners especially where the laps are just terrible.

Technical details:
Canon 5dmkii with canon 15mm fisheye, shoot RAW from the tripod. 5 images plus Z, N
Stitched in PTGUI and combined with Kolor Pano Tour.
Any suggestion advice would be god send.
alert moderator
DennisS

Re: Blending quality of floors in the corners - can you help
Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 19:37 GMT
The camera needs to be in full manual mode. The blur looks like a change in something.

Manual focus, f stop, shutter speed, iso, white balance and any other setting. Letting the camera change something can lead to what you are seeing.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 20:35 GMT
As usual, it's difficult to diagnose the cause of the blending problem without a set of camera images. If you could upload a copy of the living room images somewhere (half size jpegs would be ok) together with your PTGui project file, I'm sure the cause of the trouble could be quickly identified. If necessary, you could use a free file sharing site such as www.ge.tt/ .

John
alert moderator
sebo2000

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 21:17 GMT
I shoot with manual white balance, manual ISO 100 but Aperture mode. That is probobly the problem. I will re-shoot in manual mode and report back. Thanks for suggestion
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 21:47 GMT
I do not shoot Canon. Maybe someone here who does can provide the focus/fstop setting you should be using. When you get the correct combination, the ground under your tipod will be in focus as well as mountains several miles away. You need to use the correct settings to get the best results.
alert moderator
sebo2000

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 16:13 GMT
Thanks a lot to all for tips.

I did re-shoot the same room as you suggested:

I have set my camera to manual mode, f5.6 exposed for darkest corner of the room, and dialed +0.5EV set manual WB, manual ISO, manual focus (I have to master that one and get best setting, usig hyper focus)

Floor looks perfectly exposed and there is no strange blur as on orygianl image.

THANKS I will post re-take later on.

All manual settings are the key.
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 20:00 GMT
Hi sebo,
I use 5dmark2 with Canon EF 8-15 mm...Before switching over to "full manual" mode I measure the light in the AV mode on my desired f/stop value for the whole pano...The darkest corner and the brightest part of the pano demand lets say shutter speeds of 1/10 and 1/40...I shoot in full manual at a speed of 1/20...On this way it is easier to use the shadows and higlights functions in ACR...I shoot at f/8...This gives me a sharp image from 70 cm to infinity (I got this information from this link : michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.h...)...I remember seeing web sites helping to calculate the hyperfocal length for each lens but I don't know yet where; I am sure with some googling you'll find out the hyperfocal length of your lens for your desired f/stops...

Burak
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 15:31 GMT
updated: 14 Nov 2012 at 15:35 GMT
Here you are:

www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

It's best to shoot at f8 or f11. In case it is a dark spot, raise ISO, may be close to the value where noise begins.

Heinz
alert moderator
sebo2000

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 16:04 GMT
Thanks, I tried AV and "averaging method" works like a charm, pictures are all perfectylu exposed.

Question about focus, do you set your camera to infinity and F to f8.0 or you point and set focus at floor and then switch to manual focus? I'm wondering about details how you set your focus.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 19:05 GMT
Sebo,

It would be best if you conduct your own focus test. You will find that infinity is not the setting to use.

Set up a tripod somewhere. Take pictures at various focus settings, all at f8. When you examine your pictures you will see what focus setting gives you the greatest depth of field. Even if someone tells you the setting, you need to do the exercise. I found that with my Tokina lens, I have to be so very careful when setting focus. The best focus setting is at one spot without much room for error. Once you have found your focus setting you will use that setting for all your panoramas, no matter where you shoot.

Dennis
alert moderator