back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 18
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Tiziano

Defish first or PTGui?
Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 19:03 GMT
A Rokinon 8mm is in my near future and I'm wondering about the workflow. Do I defish the shots or does PTGui manage that as part of its process?

I can't seem to find a lens preset for Lightroom so might that complicate the issue?
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Re: Defish first or PTGui?
Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 19:57 GMT
No need to defish.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 20:03 GMT
Multumesc!

If I want to correct other issues, like CA or color or vignetting, would I do that before stitching?
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 20:08 GMT
updated: 11 Nov 2012 at 20:10 GMT
Cu placere!

The CA is need to be corrected at conversion from RAW, anyway before the stitch even if you don't shot in RAW.

I also correct the vigneting at conversion from RAW.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 20:16 GMT
So I would convert from RAW in Lightroom (but not defish) and do my other corrections there.

Then export as TIFF for PTGui.
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:53 GMT
updated: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:57 GMT
I'm not familiar with Lightroom, however, as a rule, if you use fisheye, you don't need to correct anything which can affect the geometry of the image, defish, barel, perspective, crop so on.

Correct the CA, choose the appropriate WB, Saturation, so on.. adjust +-EV if needed and then export in TIFF.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 9:25 GMT
Hi Tiziano,

Just import the tiff pics to PTGui.

Now you have to set lens parameters because there is no exif data: set it to 9mm and full frame fisheye.

May be you you can look for a samyang lens for Nikon which has AE connection which would help you with some more info than completely manual lens.

Once you got your lens we can tell you about the workflow.

Heinz
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 20:03 GMT
Thanks guys!
I'm doing all my orders this afternoon.
And taking out a 2nd mortgage. eek!
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 22:01 GMT
Ordered! cool
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 21:43 GMT
Everything arrived and I am a happy camper! cool
The Samyang/Rokinon 8mm is super sharp above f/5.6, just like the reviews said. The mounting is odd as well as a bit rough. The AE addition gives me correct EXIF data. There's a bit of CA but ACR seems to knock that out just fine.

And so, I think that I'm ready to mount the NN4 and snap a few. For a 360 x 180, what vertical tilt is recommended?
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 7:40 GMT
Here is a set of D90 Samyang8mm/f3.5 for you.

ge.tt/1Ll7ziR

Set of 4 around @ 0° and+5°, 2x Zenith @ +60° 180° visa versa, Nadir 1 and Nadir2 with Nadir Adapter.

In the beginning I always just stitch the shots around and add Zenith and Nadir later.

Just open the project file and have a look around without changing the set.
Then make up your own set by importing the shots around and go. Nadir 2 shot has to be turned to portrait orientation before being imported to PTGuiPro.

Cheers,
Heinz
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 21:19 GMT
Thanks Heinz.
Right now I am behind a firewall that blocks your files so I need to wait to retrieve them until this evening. sad

On top of that, after trying to set up the NN, I noticed that the Lower Rotator Tension Knob says 'Nodal Ninja 3' but the instructions are for an NN4. So I did some measurements and the length of the Vertical Rail is only 6", the Lower Horizontal Rail is just under 6" and the Upper Horizontal Arm is 5 3/4". These dimensions seem smaller than what I read an NN4 is supposed to be. Perhaps I am mistaken though?

I've just sent an e-mail to Fanotec and I am sure they will rectify the problem if there is one.

Looking at it again I know the Rokinon will work but I don't see how it's large enough for my Tokina 11x17mm. cry
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 22:00 GMT

Tiziano said:

The Samyang/Rokinon 8mm is super sharp above f/5.6, just like the reviews said. [...] And so, I think that I'm ready to mount the NN4 and snap a few. For a 360 x 180, what vertical tilt is recommended?

I have shot many panos with an NN3 MkII, R-D8 rotator, D5000 and Samyang 8mm/3.5.

I use a shooting pattern suggested by Smooth that has worked well for me: six around at –10˚; two up at +60˚ opposite each other.

I never take a down shot of the rotator. I find it useless.

Outdoors in good light, depending on the length of tripod shadow, I take one or two hand-held nadirs. Indoors, or in low light, I use the NN Nadir Adapter.

When I started shooting with the Samyang 8mm I took four shots around. However I found there were many situations where there were not enough details in the small overlap area to give good stitching results. Six around is much safer. In stitching software, I remove control points in the nadir area of non-adjacent images.

If the direct sun or other bright lights are in the picture there will be some lens flare, so I shoot extra shots at small angles to the light source. These flares can be masked out when stitching.

When shooting across an area with few non-moving details, such as as wide body of water, I take extra shots. If people, cars or large branches are moving, I take extra shots that contain the entire moving object.

Judy Arndt
--
www.JudyArndt.ca/
alert moderator
Tiziano

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 23:50 GMT
Thanks Judy,
At those settings, horizontal or vertical camera orientation?
Portrait or landscape?
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 0:22 GMT

Tiziano said:

Thanks Judy,
At those settings, horizontal or vertical camera orientation?
Portrait or landscape?

Vertical/portrait orientation. This is the orientation most commonly used on the Nodal Ninja brackets.

Judy
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 18
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last