back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 16
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Siouxsun

Canon 50D/Sigma 8mm 3.5/Nodal Ninja 3 MK2
Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 16:45 GMT
Hi. sad I've been trying to figure out the settings for this configuration of equipment and have inconsistent results. I've set up the no parallax point for one rail to be at 90.5 I've been moving the other rail 1mm to .5mm at a time to try to get good stitching results. 56, 57, 58 all gave me stitching errors at the top of the room 56.5 seemed to work but just to verify I did it again and got a stitching error! cry

I've done twenty tests. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not stitching it with my own software. It is being stitched by an unknown application that GOOGLE uses. Please help. Respectfully, Susan
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Re: Canon 50D/Sigma 8mm 3.5/Nodal Ninja 3 MK2
Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 17:14 GMT
updated: 9 Nov 2012 at 17:17 GMT
Having correct settings on NN3 with Sigma 8mm is needed for good stiching but not allways enough for that.

If isn't difference in body dimensions of the 50D against 40D you can use the settings for the later, listed on nodalninja.com website but is better if you test them by yourself ..

First thing first, be sure of the fact you don't have parralax along the seams according with the number of shots you take: 4,5, or 6
then, either stitch them with PTgui (there is a free trial for download), or post the photos here for someone to have a look.

Then we can talk about that app you use for stitching.

cheers,
Dorin
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 17:20 GMT
updated: 9 Nov 2012 at 17:22 GMT
Hi Susan,

"top of the room" may give bad stitching results because the stitching software can not find control points there...You may have already your NPP setting correct but still get bad stitching results...I'd follow Dorins advice and share the project here to have a look at...

Best regards

Burak
alert moderator
Siouxsun

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 18:04 GMT
I will try PTgui test. Thanks. Then I will see if I need to post pictures here. The pictures are not on a public internet so I do not have a link and doesn't look like I can attach to post. I got my setting starting points from the 40D settings on NN.com which is supposed to be same body size as 50D.

Thanks for responding,
Susan
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 20:06 GMT
Susan, I suggest you upload jpeg copies of your images to www.ge.tt/ (a free file sharing site) and post a link here so we can try stitching them.

John
alert moderator
Siouxsun

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 22:07 GMT
updated: 9 Nov 2012 at 22:09 GMT
Thanks, John. You can see files here: ge.tt/8bxK1KR

There are three images that show 3 locations that were shot at 90.5 and I believe 56.5ish (shown in another image). I've also included strange level change images (recently noticed) when I rotate the head for my 4 images- I level once and then shoot my four images in the same spot so it is peculiar. You can see the stitch is off differently in each location which is odd. sad I would think that if it is going to be off it would be off the same everywhere.

Respectfully,
Susan
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 22:33 GMT
Susan, Thanks for the uploads, but it's a set of the camera images that are needed for stitching.

John
alert moderator
Siouxsun

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 at 23:19 GMT
Oh. I was hoping for guidance based on looking at the end results and leveling bubble. So if it is a tad high or low on the right or left that must mean the setting of 65.5 needs to go...or maybe the 90.5 isn't to the mil. Or maybe the level on the ninja is faulty. Can advice be made based on that? I don't think the panos are that far off judging by the end result but I'm not sure how to move the setting based on the offset that I see.
alert moderator
Bob Stone

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 0:28 GMT
updated: 10 Nov 2012 at 0:33 GMT
Try this method by Smooth, excellent setup help.. read all six pages and you'll learn quit a bit about parallax.

www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?...
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 7:05 GMT
updated: 10 Nov 2012 at 7:15 GMT
Susan,

As Bob mentioned, Smooth's method is the one to find your right LRS = Lower rail Setting.

www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm . Use John's advice to find URS = upper rail setting.

wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

Here you can read about data you can use to find the settings with your own equipment. You have to check them.

H = 42mm and add 13mm for offset of reference Point of Vertical Rail on NN3: LRS = 55 mm. URS: L1 = 38.5 + L2 = 49.5 : URS 88mm.

You can use these settings as starting point. Use 88 mm on upper rail and first check the right LRS. When you find it at 55mm, you should find a round circle, with 56 the tooth on circle should cut to the left, with 54mm the tooth should cut to the right. You have to move the camera on lower rail in the direction the "Tooth" cuts by one mm and re check.

Sucess,
Heinz

BTW: Level your first shot once with the bubble level of lower rail. Then take your shots around without re leveling though the bubble moves out of center. That's normal.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 7:37 GMT

Siouxsun said:

Oh. I was hoping for guidance based on looking at the end results and leveling bubble.

Susan, the end results show stitching errors. It's not possible to determine the cause of the stitching errors without having the camera images. Running them through PTGui usually provides clues to any problems with the setup of the panohead, and demonstrates whether it's possible to get a perfect stitch (by an experienced user). The behaviour of the bubble level will have no effect on the quality of the stitching provided you do not readjust the levelling between shots.

John
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:26 GMT
updated: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:26 GMT
Question about ge.tt:

Every time I try to download "download all files" on the left top side I get a "decompression error" on mac. It is not the first time this happens to me. So I have to download pic by pic.

Cheers,
Heinz
alert moderator
enbilaman

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 9:56 GMT

hindenhaag said:

Question about ge.tt:

Every time I try to download "download all files" on the left top side I get a "decompression error" on mac. It is not the first time this happens to me. So I have to download pic by pic.

Cheers,
Heinz

This frequent problem probably affects all Mac OS users the same way.

A solution: in the browser Download Folder window, right-click on the concerned zip file icon and select 7zX.app to do the decompression job in lieu of the usual default Stuffit.app.

7zX.app from Sixty Five, Ltd is a free app that can be found at dozens of websites.

Michel
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 5:27 GMT
Thx for the tip.
Heinz
alert moderator
Siouxsun

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:08 GMT
I was hoping that the end results which show the stitch error would provide clues to what is wrong in the setup. Sorry. I'm running 4 more tests tonight. If they produce the same stitch error then I will shoot another location and post those images if necessary. Thanks for the offer.

Today I heard that there might be a defect in the NN3 MK2 rotator that now has me wondering. Plus it is important to note that I have triple checked my settings for no parallax and they are perfect. sad
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 16
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last