Search the forums:
messages 16-26 of 26
first prev prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
DennisS

Re: Doing internal panoramas...on a budget
Posted: 1 Nov 2012 at 4:17 GMT
Simonone,

When changing lenses, be prepared to adjust the lower and upper arm settings. The "no parallax point" will most likely be different between two different lenses.

Any spherical type pano head like the NN3 allows for Zenith and Nadir shots. My first pro pano head was a NN3.

I personally prefer the lens ring mount system. I have it on my monopod and spherical pano head. www.dlsphoto.net/NadarBracket/index.htm

Dennis
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 at 4:56 GMT
updated: 1 Nov 2012 at 5:10 GMT
Hi simoneone,
I believe also that your "problem" will be solved by using a panohead - of course the stitching software must also be used efficiently...I would recommend you to get also a nadir adapter if you go for NN3
www.nodalninja.com/qr/accessories/nadir-adapter-f...
I use it on my NN5 and find it very useful...It doesn't cost much and makes the work with the nadir shot especially in low light conditions indoors very easy...Actually I use it everytime -low light or good light...Before the adapter I was shooting the nadir handheld...To your question; the panohead allows you to shoot the zenith but for the nadir shot the tripod must be removed from the nadir area (we don't want it to appear in our panorama)...When one removes the tripod one has two choices; shoot the image of the nadir area handheld or with the help of the nadir adapter with the camera still on the tripod...There are also other methods which allow you to shoot without the adapter like leaning the tripod; you may find them on this forum... You'll need a sturdy tripod...Not only by shooting with the nadir adapter; in general it is important to have a sturdy tripod...
Best regards
Burak
alert moderator
simonone

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 at 10:39 GMT
Thank you everybody. I'm in NY on a trip right now, and... I'm staying 7 blocks away from B&H superstore smile
I bought the NN4, which is way over my original budget, but I hope will be worth the money spent.
I didn't buy the nadir adaptor yet. If possible I would save that money, so I need to understand if I can make it without.
I own this manfrotto tripod, which can go as low as floor level and lean the center stack. Can it help me?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 at 13:09 GMT
Simon,

Yes you can make panoramas without the Nadir adapter. People have been doing just that for many years.

When I started out shooting panoramas, I purchased the same tripod thinking it would help get a good Nadir patch shot. I soon realized that there was just too many adjustments required to get it to work. By the time you move everything around lighting changes and shadows from the sun have moved across the ground or floor.

When taking a patch shot, the goal is to place your camera as close to the original camera position as possible as quickly as possible. Keeping the camera on the pano head while taking the patch shot makes long exposures easier. This is where the Nadir adapter becomes very useful.

Many people use the adapter with great success. Some people refuse to and dismiss it outright without even trying. As with any tool, you need to use it right to get good results. On a rocky creek bed or steep incline, it does not work too well.

When dealing with tripod shadows you will need to do an offset patch shot. The Nadir adapter does not help much in this scenario.

There are other techiques which involve leaning the tripod over or balancing your expensive equipment on monopods and such. All work and can produce excellent results. Do a search here on this forum and you will find so very much information on the various techniques.

www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical6.html www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical6_1.html These two web pages were written before PTGui included "Viewpoint Correction". www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm

For the very small investment you will get a very versatile and useful tool.

Dennis
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 at 13:45 GMT
updated: 2 Nov 2012 at 13:54 GMT
Simon,

as Dennis mentioned, there are different ways to shoot the nadir to get a free view to the ground below the original tripod position.

Handheld, Ballet Workflow by leaning over, or just hold the tripod with camera mounted horizontally to take the nadir shot.

All these methods are exposure sensitive with longer exposures. Or think of keeping the position with a bracketting set of pics with longer exposures. I have ruined a nadir shot handheld with a set of 5 shots with D3.

So in normal daily workflow it is worth to spend the money for the Nadir Adapter. Will save you a lot of time on the PC to get a good stitch. This is worth the extra money. Since Dennis forced Nick to design a NN Nadir Adapter - once again THX To YOU Dennis - I use a Nadir Adapter on all of my equipment.

But, there are many ways to Rome and everyone has to take his own decision about equipment, workflows, and the available budget.

Enjoy your new equipment, feel free to ask about your panos by sending the set of pics via www.ge.tt for example or contact us on NN Forum.

Success,
Heinz
alert moderator
jannefoo

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 at 11:36 GMT
It's way easier to flip the pano head 45 degrees on the ball head and take the nadir shot from there:

Of course, the stitching program must have support for variable view point, but the important ones already do (Ptgui, Autopano, Hugin).
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 at 19:16 GMT

jannefoo said:

It's way easier to flip the pano head 45 degrees on the ball head and take the nadir shot from there

Ball heads are heavy and add a potential source of instability to the entire rig. I don't use one when shooting panos.

The Nodal Ninja nadir adapter, at 145g, will be the lighter option, by far.

Judy
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 at 19:39 GMT
It's way easier to...
Do you own the Nadir adapter or have you borrowed one?
alert moderator
simonone

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:48 GMT
Thank you all for your suggestions, yesterday I shot for the first time with my new pano head, and it worked great!
Now I have an issue with Hug-in devil
I run it on a Macbook pro 13". When I create the pano, everything works fine, but Hug-in doesn't output the final blended TIFF on my computer. I only find the partial TIFFs.
This is quite frustrating, because a friend of mine, with a Macbook pro 15" of apparently similar age and specs, gets the right blended TIFF out of the same pictures I am using. I tried to compare our settings, and checked the same options he is checking, but the situation doesn't change: he gets the blended TIFF, I don't

Any clue what is happening?
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 14:56 GMT
There are various versions of Hugin available that use various stitchers, remappers, and blenders. The older versions of Hugin would use Nona to stitch/remap the images and Enblend to blend the set of remapped images into the finished panorama. For help with Hugin, I suggest you visit the Hugin forum at groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx .

John
alert moderator
simonone

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 15:23 GMT
thank you for your suggestion, John.
I run 2011.4.0, and so does my mate.
I didn't understand though if a newer version could work better, or if I need to find an older one which will fit better to my old computer
alert moderator
messages 16-26 of 26
first prev prev 1 2 next next last