Forum: Q & A

Thread: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
stalwart

Posts: 316
Location: Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Registered: 20 Dec 2007
max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 17:25 GMT
hi all,

well, I did buy the Sigma 15mm fisheye (www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/10655/) and, with my 550D can create a max. resolution of over 26k pix. Great! But this is with 8 shots @ -30 degrees, 8 @ +30 degrees + zenith @ +60 degrees. A whole lot of images (esp. when doing AEB +/- 2) and esp. when used to Sigma 8mm of 4 round.

Can anyone tell me max. resolution I can expect with 5D Mk 2 / Sigma 15mm doing 6-round + zenith....?

Thanks

Stu
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 18:12 GMT
14000x7000+ from Canon 15mm Fisheye

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 18:32 GMT

stalwart said:

well, I did buy the Sigma 15mm fisheye (www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/10655/) and, with my 550D can create a max. resolution of over 26k pix. Great!
Something is amiss here. My 7D 18mp produces 22000x11000+ the 550D has the same size sensor so I'm not sure how you are getting 26000x13000px?

What stitcher? What lens settings?

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
No One

Posts: 541
Location: Sri Lanka
Registered: 14 May 2004
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:49 GMT
Hey Stu,

You may have gotten into the PTGui uplift in max resolution if you have a file that's rotated differently from the others. I saw this behavior working on a set of images with auto rotate in camera on.

As Smooth has noted, you should be around 14,000 to 15,000 pixels wide with a Canon 5D2 and 15mm FE.

Cheers,

Robert
alert moderator
stalwart

Posts: 316
Location: Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Registered: 20 Dec 2007
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 15:24 GMT

Smooth said:

stalwart said:

well, I did buy the Sigma 15mm fisheye (www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/10655/) and, with my 550D can create a max. resolution of over 26k pix. Great!
Something is amiss here. My 7D 18mp produces 22000x11000+ the 550D has the same size sensor so I'm not sure how you are getting 26000x13000px?

What stitcher? What lens settings?

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au


Hi Smooth,

I'd be the first to doubt it if you say something's amiss! What am I missing here...?



Stu
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posts: 2874
Location: Denmark
Registered: 28 Aug 2005
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 16:01 GMT
You miss checking the rotation. The 550D is 5184 x 3456 resolution and with with the 15mm has 57 degree coverage in portrait which means that your resolution is 360/57 = 6.3 x 3456 which is 21777 pixel

Hans
alert moderator
Smooth

Posts: 4310
Location: Mount Panorama, Australia
Registered: 21 Jul 2004
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 16:02 GMT
Hi Stu,

Not sure mate, I'd need to see the your images and .pts file. Something is not right though.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
stalwart

Posts: 316
Location: Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Registered: 20 Dec 2007
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:44 GMT

Hans Nyberg said:

You miss checking the rotation.


Hi Hans,

coming back to this thread - Autorotate is OFF on the 550D, although I do rotate all my images in Bridge - will this affect the PTGui settings, or is this something I must set within PTGui?

As I am doing something wrong, what would be the max. output for 4-round 550D with Sigma 8mm?

I know pixels are wasted if the 8mm is used on a 5D MkII, but what would be the max. output for 4-round, and also 3-round (which is possible, according to VRWave lens database)?

cheers

Stu
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posts: 901
Location: Netherlands
Registered: 7 Mar 2010
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:54 GMT
updated: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:56 GMT
Hi Stu,

All the pics you import to PTGui have to be in the same orientation.

Sometimes, Nadir or Zenith shots might be imported in horizontal orientation, specially with autorotation on while the rest is in portrait.

This might result in stitching errors or rare finished pano.

Heinz
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posts: 2874
Location: Denmark
Registered: 28 Aug 2005
Re: max PTGui output of 5D Mk 2 & Sigma 15mm...?
Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 11:21 GMT

stalwart said:

Hans Nyberg said:

You miss checking the rotation.

Hi Hans,

coming back to this thread - Autorotate is OFF on the 550D, although I do rotate all my images in Bridge - will this affect the PTGui settings, or is this something I must set within PTGui?

As I am doing something wrong, what would be the max. output for 4-round 550D with Sigma 8mm?

I know pixels are wasted if the 8mm is used on a 5D MkII, but what would be the max. output for 4-round, and also 3-round (which is possible, according to VRWave lens database)?

cheers

Stu


The important is what is the optimized FOV. If you have the images imported as portrait your optimized FOV should be around 57-58.
That would give you around 22000 width. Make sure that you actually optimize the FOV.

The 8mm on a 550D should give you around 10400x5200 and with the Mark II you should get something like 7200x3600.
The difference with 3 and 4 images i very small.

Hans
alert moderator