Forum: Q & A

Thread: Setup for a 220 Degree Panoramic Still Image

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
AnthonyNYC

Setup for a 220 Degree Panoramic Still Image
Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 19:55 GMT
Hello folks, wanted to run a still image setup question by some people with more experience than myself.

Equipment in my kit:
Canon 60D
Sigma 8mm fisheye
Tokina 11-16mm F2.8
Canon 18-135mm
Precision Atome Pano Head for the Sigma 8mm

I have shot virtual tours for some time using only the 8mm lens, and now a client is requesting a still panoramic shot that will cover around 220 degrees of scenery. I will not need to publish anything other than a still photo.

The challenge with this shot is that I must capture a building with a long, flat roof that is around 100' feet long when viewed from the front, and the roof line is 18' high. The problem is that I cannot be more than 20-25 feet away from the front of the building, so I am looking to minimize the warping that normally occurs at this close of a distance.

I would like to minimize warping of the roof, although the client knows that some warping is unavoidable.

Any suggestions from a more experienced panoramic photographer would be appreciated.

I am going out today to do test shoots with the 8mm and panoramic head, and then with the 11-16mm set to 11, 13.5, and 16mm in portrait mode. The latter will be with 50% overlap, and possibly with 2 rows.

I do not have a panoramic head setup to use with the 11-16mm though, so these shots will be done using a tripod and ball head - which I know isn't proper procedure, but it has worked in the past for me.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Re: Setup for a 220 Degree Panoramic Still Image
Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 20:49 GMT
The lens you use will make no difference to the general appearance of the panorama image, which is dictated solely by the position from which you are taking the shots. I.e. the viewpoint will be the same and so will be the perspectives.

John
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 23:13 GMT
Here’s what I’d recommend.

1. Take the images from a pano bracket as if for a spherical panorama.
2. Load into stitching program and select a projection that gives you the best results.

This is an example of a planar projection from Autopano Giga3. (Note that I used unprocessed NEFs of a single exposure for this test.)

The finished 360˚panorama made from the same images is here.

www.judyarndt.ca/ukrainian_chv_june2010/uchv_elev...

Judy Arndt
alert moderator
AnthonyNYC

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 0:06 GMT
Thanks Judy and John. One thing I forgot to mention is that the panorama may be used to print a poster. So for that reason I thought it would be better to put it together with more images so that the resulting image dimension is as large as possible. With the 8mm, 2-3 photos will cover it all, but the dimensions of the resulting images will be relatively small.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 0:32 GMT

AnthonyNYC said:

With the 8mm, 2-3 photos will cover it all, but the dimensions of the resulting images will be relatively small.

Yes, if you use the planar projection method, make sure that the subject matter farthest from the camera is of sufficiently high resolution for the print version.

Another option to try, if you can shoot multiple images at right angles to the building, would be to move your camera gear in a linear fashion at fixed intervals, parallel to the wall. When stitching, set detection to ‘multiple viewpoints’.

Judy
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 0:56 GMT
This is a wide angle picture I did keeping the camera at a right angle to the wall while moving the camera along the wall. I think I took 4 or 5 pictures. I used Photoshop to blend the images. I used a non fisheye lens to avoid distortion.

alert moderator
AnthonyNYC

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 1:28 GMT
That is a wonderful technique. Great shot there!

Since I also have to capture features that will be out to my right and left positioned slightly in front of the building, I don't think I can get away with this.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 2:29 GMT

AnthonyNYC said:

Since I also have to capture features that will be out to my right and left positioned slightly in front of the building, I don't think I can get away with this.

How about spherical shots at either end and a linear pano in the middle?

This web site might give you some ideas.
panoramastreetline.com/

If you post snapshots of the building and tell us the goals of the client, then perhaps some of the more experienced photographers can offer advice on what’s possible.

Judy
alert moderator